Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

points and condenser

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:45 PM
JimboFXD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default points and condenser

bike is bogging again. runs fine as long as I'm out of the throttle. I think it may be the condenser...I noticed while running the bike with the points cover off what looked like some serious arching from the points while the bike was running. Thought that the condenser wasthere to keep this from happening. Also, have been told from some old timers that you can run blue streak points and condensors from an old ford in an ironhead...if this is true can anybody tell me what kind of car I should ask for at the auto parts store. The local dealership is out of them. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:57 PM
JimboFXD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: points and condenser

Found it..changed the condenser. The Harley Blue Streak points and condensornumber on the back of the points cross to an old Chevy number. Changed the condensor and cleaned(covered with black soot) and regapped the plugs. Runs great. Adding small wire brush, sand paper to the tools in the bag...will pick up and extra set of points and a condenser to throw in the bag too as nobody but the local car parts store can get me one without ordering it.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:37 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Found it..changed the condenser. The Harley Blue Streak points and condensornumber on the back of the points cross to an old Chevy number. Changed the condensor and cleaned(covered with black soot) and regapped the plugs. Runs great.
Well.......I don't know about that. Run the bike for a few miles and see what happens. If you wind up with sooty black spark plugs again and bogging problems, then I believe your trouble lies within the carb, not the ignition.
The ignition points spark because the electrical field is broken everytime they open. I consider this normal. The purpose of the condenser is to provide a quick collapse of the magnetic field in the coil which then produces the (high voltage) spark to the spark plugs.
But, maybe I am wrong about your trouble...............pg

Old 10-31-2007, 10:05 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Actually the purpose of the condenser is two-fold - One, it extends the length of the collapsing field by virtue of it forming an LC circuilt (coil & capacitor), and two, it prevents the point contacts from burning caused by the arc that happens when the coil field collapses. If you see excessive arcing across the points, then it will be a bad condenser, and the timing will be altered as the coil collapse occurs later than it should due current still flowing thru the arc across the points. The spark produced will be weaker than normal as the field collapse occurs over a longer time.