Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Carburetor problem discovered...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 04:20 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Carburetor problem discovered...

With all of the discussion lately about running problems and carburetor problems, I was prevoked to disassemble my Bendix (Zenith) today. As some of you know, I had a problem with it suddenly running rich and soot fouling the spark plugs at highway speed. My fix was to replace it with my old Mikuni. I miss having the enclosed throttle cable however, and I want my Bendix back.
Two things found. The accelerater pump needs replacing. The other item found was that the 'O' ring around the main jet metering tube was broken in half and was dried out. This is what caused the sudden richness I am sure, as the area was no longer sealed with this failure and fuel from the float bowl was sucked straight into the venturi and then dumped into the cylinders. I discovered a place that sells Accell carb kits for the Bendix. This includes the accelerater pump, 'O' ring, and all of the gaskets for $26. I ordered a kit and I think it will fix my Bendix........piniongear
This place is at www.cyclewareables.com

Old 05-30-2006, 10:54 PM
JDWilbourn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carburetor problem discovered...

Thats ne nice bike. I like hearing when someone doesnt have to spend a Hundred Dollar = HD for their HD part.