Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

question about brake master cylinder banjo fitting

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:07 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts
Default question about brake master cylinder banjo fitting

ok to be clear i have installed 2000-2003 brake master cylinder and am using a fitting from bikers choice.its not actually a banjo fitting but just a straight line fitting.theres people in here that has new bikes as well and i would prefer to ask in here.....and you guys actually work on stuff....opinions welcomed even if youre not 100%
heres the story..i got the fittings and line from an indy.realized later the fitting to my 74 era calipers did not fit.tried the master cyl. and screwed in fine.swapped out caliper fitting at indy shop and they told me they gave me the wrong thread type(an international or somthing ...it had a deeper thread than what was needed.ok fine.i get around to the brakes again and before i fit the cable to the master cylinder i thread it on again this time realizing it goes all the way flush and there is still wobble in the fitting unless its all the way up against the mast cyl ----so it would seem fluid would leak right past it.i take it back to the indy thinking i need the deeper style fitting(opposite of the caliper) they tell me i need a crush washer.hes the tech not me so ok i will try it......but to me its still the same situation as its only tight around the base but not around the threads.-----on the calipers it will only thread in part of the way getting tighter and tighter just like on a car.thats what i want for the master cyl as well but maybe they are all like that...??? i am gonna call the indy tomorrow and talk to the lady(a tech,very cool,very knowledgable and never caught her tryin to bs me which means ALOT) that i normally deal with and ask her but wanted you guys opinion as well.sorry for the long question...

Last edited by straydog13; 09-22-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:12 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The only comment I can make is this.......
If the threaded male item wobbles as it is screwed into the master cylinder, and does not stop wobbling until it is screwed all the way in..... That is the wrong fitting! Using a washer to make it fit tight just does not make sense if the threads are wobbling (loose). It has to be the incorrect size fitting.
pg

Old 09-22-2009, 11:49 PM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Same thoughts than PG, if it wobles you got wrong type threads. If I remember correct new models uses 3/8" -24 UNF and in ironhead rear and front mastercylinder there is 1/4" NPT, witch is tapered thread. There is also issue what kind of sealing, if thread is right but sealing "surface" is wrong... look tip of "bolt" is it concave or convex ? then check inside of cylinder. Of cource they can't be same. If sealing surface inside of mastercylinder is strait you must use banjo bolt.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:42 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

and in ironhead rear and front mastercylinder there is 1/4" NPT

Thanks Sepixlh.......
I did not want to say it because I was not sure of the thread type used, but 1/4 NPT (National Pipe Thread) is what he must have.
As you say, this is a tapered thread and is commonly found on hydraulic fittings. It tightens as it goes into the hole......... pg

Old 09-23-2009, 10:47 AM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member

ok cool.i am too easy going of a guy and i didnt even really mentally question it until i was halfway home.the caliper i beleive is a 1/4 and the front master cyl must be a 3/8 as sepixh said.
thanks for reading that long drawn out thing i wrote.....

Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 PM
sepixlh
Road Master

Originally Posted by straydog13
ok cool.i am too easy going of a guy and i didnt even really mentally question it until i was halfway home.the caliper i beleive is a 1/4 and the front master cyl must be a 3/8 as sepixh said.
thanks for reading that long drawn out thing i wrote.....
You need to make sure about threat in caliber, usually they are 3/8"-24 UNF and in CALIBER sealing surface is convex so in brakehose it need to be concave.
As far as I know there isn't banjo bolt with 1/4 NPT (because it's tapered threat).
This is issue thay you don't want play with, being out in traffic without brakes isn't best idea.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:51 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member

the front master cylinder is a 3/8. is the npt/unf the same as having a 3/8 -18 or 3/8 - 20 etc or is a whole other animal??? what they told me was that a npt bolt will not thread into a unf hole/nut etc and vice versa that the thread count is different.so my theory was useless. they told me it was the way it is suppose to be and just to tighten it up and the crush washer will work.screwing in the ORIGINAL bolt(without banjo fitting) it is loose as well but it also makes a flush contact on the inside as well.
the brake line for it is a bikers choice as well....it is just a small hard air line looking hose.i dont think, but dont know if i could use a banjo fitting with this brake line.

sepixlh---i understand now about the npt being tapered and the unf not being tapered.basically i have the unf female and a unf aftermarket male that does not make inside contact like the factory set up.-----would a 3/8 npt work in a 3/8 unf? (bike shop said no but am still going to research......)

edit part 2----ok the 3/8 swap wont work ...the thread count is different.

at this point i am not sure what i will do about it.i am not a fan of bikers choice though.....the fittings are dumb for various reasons.i might try and find an adapter at a local bolt house.one that would allow for an npt fitting...the adaptor could fit all the way in until it is flush on the inside as the one i have is not......maybe i will see if the bike shop will take everything back and start over with banjo fittings.they were out when i got all this......ok well thanks guys...when i am king of the world fixing all this bolt size nonsense will be the first thing i do.its insane.---thanks again.

Last edited by straydog13; 09-26-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:26 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

A 2000 - 2003 front master cylinder will use a banjo bolt. It should be a 3/8-24 fitting. The banjo washer is what provides the sealing. The banjo fittings are available in 2 different sizes of brake lines, 10mm and 12mm. I believe the 10mm is for dual disc master cylinders, and the 12mm is for single disc master cylinders. Also, there are two different lengths. The longer length replaces OEM 41747-82A.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:15 AM
sepixlh
Road Master

Originally Posted by straydog13
at this point i am not sure what i will do about it.i am not a fan of bikers choice though.....the fittings are dumb for various reasons.i might try and find an adapter at a local bolt house.one that would allow for an npt fitting...the adaptor could fit all the way in until it is flush on the inside as the one i have is not......maybe i will see if the bike shop will take everything back and start over with banjo fittings.they were out when i got all this......ok well thanks guys...when i am king of the world fixing all this bolt size nonsense will be the first thing i do.its insane.---thanks again.
If there is some "speedshop" around your city who makes braided brakehoses they can make hose that have "custom" endings. You only need desired length, take endings that fits witch you brakes and go to shop they make it fit. If you don't have endings take master cylinder and caliber with you.
I have found good service in local shop that sells parts for racing cars or metric bikes or 4x4 shops. What part of TX you live ?

Old 09-28-2009, 08:49 AM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member

i have a "custom" fitting now-----two different people at the bike shop told me it would be ok so i guess i will just go with what they say.i might use a little teflon on it as well i dont....making sure it is a tight fit with the washer though of course.
i am in the Temple area.its in between austin and dallas on I35.however almost every day i think of throwing a dart at a map to find a new home.....i would like to move down to the coast, for awhile at least.

Last edited by straydog13; 09-28-2009 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: question about brake master cylinder banjo fitting