Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Lifter Block Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:52 PM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter Block Leak

Just got my 78 back togther and it fired right up! I have a leak coming from the lifter block and it seamed like the push rod tube was full of oil. Could it just be a bad seal? I wanted to get some opions on what the issues might before I start taking stuff apart. It looks like the leak is right where the lifter comes thru the cork and it pushed out a lot of oil. When I lifted up the push rod tube a lot of oil came out of that as well. It seemed strange to get that much oil out of the tube. There should be very little or no oil in the tube .. correct ?

Thanks
T-Ron

Old 03-14-2010, 06:06 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

I would dismantle the pushrod assembly. Ensure that it is sealing at the top. There should be a cork up there.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:40 PM
09DynaMan
Banned

You are clearly not talking about the top, so I won't bore you with advice regarding that area
Have you used the correct sized cork at the bottom????
If we were to assume for a minute that there is no real problem apart from the leak(and I cannot make a judgement on that based on the only limited info available at this stage)
Then it could be that the lifter is catching the lower cork, and causing a leak.
You should check that clearance, and fit of the cork generally
That is the first and simplest plan of attack I can foresee.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:53 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dirty78ironhead
Just got my 78 back togther and it fired right up! I have a leak coming from the lifter block and it seamed like the push rod tube was full of oil. Could it just be a bad seal? I wanted to get some opions on what the issues might before I start taking stuff apart. It looks like the leak is right where the lifter comes thru the cork and it pushed out a lot of oil. When I lifted up the push rod tube a lot of oil came out of that as well. It seemed strange to get that much oil out of the tube. There should be very little or no oil in the tube .. correct ?

Thanks
T-Ron
Since you have been working on the engine, I gotta ask..........Did you have the heads off?
if so, did you put the heads back on making sure both head gaskets were installed properly? By that I mean each cylinder has a pair of small holes on the left side. The head gasket(s) have small holes to match. These holes allow the oil to drain from the rocker boxes down into the cylinder walls. I have heard of guys who have installed the head gaskets 'flipped over' and the holes become blocked by the gasket.

In addition to the rocker box draining to the cylinder walls, there is also a drain at the other end that drains oil down into each pushrod tube. There is almost zero oil pressure in the tubes and also there is only a small amount of oil normally.
In other words I would not expect to see oil gushing out of the tubes when I lifted one up. If the tubes were full of oil I would suspect the head gaskets were flipped over.

Most likely the oil leak is one of the corks and almost certainly it is the uppermost cork that is the culprit. It is sometimes difficult to get the top corks seated properly...... and failing to do so will make it leak 99% of the time.
I hope you feel certain the head gaskets are on correctly. If not, you better pull the heads and have a look before you go running the engine very much.
pg

Old 03-15-2010, 01:32 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by piniongear
Since you have been working on the engine, I gotta ask..........Did you have the heads off?
if so, did you put the heads back on making sure both head gaskets were installed properly? By that I mean each cylinder has a pair of small holes on the left side. The head gasket(s) have small holes to match. These holes allow the oil to drain from the rocker boxes down into the cylinder walls. I have heard of guys who have installed the head gaskets 'flipped over' and the holes become blocked by the gasket.

In addition to the rocker box draining to the cylinder walls, there is also a drain at the other end that drains oil down into each pushrod tube. There is almost zero oil pressure in the tubes and also there is only a small amount of oil normally.
In other words I would not expect to see oil gushing out of the tubes when I lifted one up. If the tubes were full of oil I would suspect the head gaskets were flipped over.

Most likely the oil leak is one of the corks and almost certainly it is the uppermost cork that is the culprit. It is sometimes difficult to get the top corks seated properly...... and failing to do so will make it leak 99% of the time.
I hope you feel certain the head gaskets are on correctly. If not, you better pull the heads and have a look before you go running the engine very much.
pg
also bad when your first starting out into the world of the iron head and replaceing head gaskets right off the bat, your indy gives you the copper head gaskets for a 1000cc to install in your ironhead. not knowing any better you install them int oyour 900cc ironhead figuring the indy has been working on these bikes since around hte time your 69 was brand new. and 2 miles down the road you find out just how bad of a fubar you did LOL.

like it was mentioned check your pushrod corks and headgasket areas, PinionGear is god when it comes to these old beasts so his advice is solid

Old 03-15-2010, 07:02 AM
09DynaMan
Banned

Now if all seems ok in that area, you will have to consider as to whether the amount of oil you are referring to(which, once again, I cannot see) is indicative of an oil drain back situation.
If so, there are several possibilities.
A blockage at the top of the drain.
Incorrect/faulty head gasket/fitment.
A blockage lower in the drain.
(these would be a LOT of oil.)
A pinched breather hose.
(not so much oil)
Just think.
You own an ironhead.
You have a problem.
You will be handing out advice in no time.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:27 AM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer

OK I didnt have the heads off, just the rocker box on the rear head. So it shouldnt be a flipped gasket The leak was on the front head on the intake push rod tube. I took the pushrod tube in question apart replaced the corks top and bottom put it back in and fired up and didnt see any oil coming out, so i guess it just wasnt sealed.

Thanks for the advice
T-Ron

I dont think I will be handing out advice anytime soon Dyna Man! I still have years to go!

Last edited by dirty78ironhead; 03-20-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Neil74
Advanced

You'll be handing out advice sooner than you think dirty78ironhead, and rightly so. You listened and learned. The only way any of us has learned is to seek advice, weigh the advice and apply it to our situation. The next time someone has a similar problem you can speak up with pride and recognition as to how you fixed yours, granted there will allways be someone who knows better and is willing to tell you so
Sometimes we forget that our diagnoses are not allways right, just something to look at.The biggest part to learning is to ask when not sure and never close your mind to anyones ideas, I've tried my best to teach my son 47Harley the same. With an open mind everyone of us can learn from anyone of us.