Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1976 HD Ironhead XLH

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Wansomdis
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 HD Ironhead XLH

This is not only my first post buy my first Harley! My Father gave me this Harley years ago and this Thanksgiving my father and I eventually got around to picking it up. This Harley was stored an a shed at my father's old buddy's. To make a long story short the bike made the haul from Ohio to South Carolina and finally this Ironhead is in my garage. Thankful! As this is my first Harley and my first rebuild I am going to need everyone's help and pointers to get this Ironhead back on the road!

As for the first step I have ordered the Factory Parts Manual off ebay and it should be here tomorrow.

I am ready to get this restoration started ASAP...My Father will be visiting again in July 13 and I would give anything to see him take a ride on his old Ironhead!

I have finished idea in mind but will need everyone's ideas getting there...Will post a pic of what I would like my finished Ironhead to resemble.

Any help or feedback is appreciated! Cant wait to get this Ironhead on the road!

Name:  76Harley3.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  1972_Harley_Sportster_Ironhead_468x395.jpg
Views: 4835
Size:  208.6 KB

Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Looks like you're off to a great start ... Old Sporties are cool ... I had a 76 XLCH ( Kicker ) that I put a lot of miles on .... Welcome to the Forum

Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Wansomdis
Stage IV

Thanks Larry.... I was unsure if this was a XLCH or a XLH - I read some forums and had seen that if the motor # starts with a 3A then it's a XLH. This bike is EC only - No kicker.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:03 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I see a blue AMF and a Black custom.

The blue one is just about old enough to be really cool and except for a few add-ons mostly stock in appearance. Do the old bike some justice and keep it stock, clean up the paint -- but don't re-paint. buff it up, shine it up and return it to its showroom floor glory.

Please, please don't cut it up.

here is a great thread to follow:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1297584

3A is XL or XLH
4A is XLCH

frame and motor matching VINs
s

Last edited by scottfisher; 11-29-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by scottfisher
... Do the old bike some justice and keep it stock, clean up the paint -- but don't re-paint. buff it up, shine it up and return it to its showroom floor glory.

Please, please don't cut it up.

here is a great thread to follow:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1297584 ...
+1

That is a nice looking, almost-original IronHead. Best to keep it that way. Search eBay, the InterNet, etc for pictures of original Sportsters of that year and enjoy the scenery. See if that might be the group that you would really like to belong to; rather than just another personalized bike.

Here is another thread that might interest you ...

Restored, original or near-stock Ironhead pictures
http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/foru...d.php?t=233293

If you are interested in the long term monetary value of the bike, as a refurbished almost original Sportster it will be worth double what it would be worth as a personalized bike. And i wonder what would most please your dad?

Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 PM
ironhead tommy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Wansomdis
This is not only my first post buy my first Harley! My Father gave me this Harley years ago and this Thanksgiving my father and I eventually got around to picking it up. This Harley was stored an a shed at my father's old buddy's. To make a long story short the bike made the haul from Ohio to South Carolina and finally this Ironhead is in my garage. Thankful! As this is my first Harley and my first rebuild I am going to need everyone's help and pointers to get this Ironhead back on the road!

As for the first step I have ordered the Factory Parts Manual off ebay and it should be here tomorrow.

I am ready to get this restoration started ASAP...My Father will be visiting again in July 13 and I would give anything to see him take a ride on his old Ironhead!

I have finished idea in mind but will need everyone's ideas getting there...Will post a pic of what I would like my finished Ironhead to resemble.

Any help or feedback is appreciated! Cant wait to get this Ironhead on the road!

IM HOPEING THAT YOUR KEEPING IT STOCK!!! First how many miles on the Scooter? If it's a lot then I would rebuild the motor and the trans also, (or) at less go thu the trans. Just my thought I would rebuild the heads so you can burn unlead'ed gas. Dump the stock carb and go with a CV carb use the O-ring S&S manifold with a Mikuni Flange Adapter for the carb away better carb to work on. Tear out the points and go with Elec Ing and use a solid state voltage Reg that way if you go thu water your still running. Go thu the wiring you just might want to go with new wiring. Rebuild your brake's I see you have disc in front EBC sells the brake pads #FA-26 and buy new brakes for the rear. And also MAKE sure your Swingarm moves up & down like it should. You just might have to rebuild it also. Your going to have to rebuild your front Fork's also. Man I can go on and on. Just REMEMBER your going to spend a lot of money!!! BUT IN THE END IT'S YOUR NEW IRONHEAD XLH... And the last time I look you don't see a lot of them on the road. It's a GREAT FEELING WEND YOU BLOW BY A NEW HARLEY Good luck and keep us posted. AND WELCOME TO THE IRONHEAD CLUB... ROCK ON BRO...

Last edited by ironhead tommy; 11-29-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 PM
ironhead tommy
Cruiser

Wansomdis, You have a picture of a BLACK SCOOTER. If your going to go that way. Then you might want to go with a 41mm front fork and look for a 79 sportster swing arm with Disc brake set up on it.. Everything else is the same Motor, Trans, Elec, and on and on.. Good Luck.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Wansomdis
Stage IV

Thanks for all the information...And also for the threads to follow. This is the information I am looking for and appreciate all the feedback.

Ironhead Tommy - You are correct the Black Scooter was an idea I was thinking that I wanted my final restoration to resemble...Obviously with some minor changes. I did see where that bike had the narrow front fork. Was not sure about swing arm, thanks for info.

Scottfisher & IronMick - I appreciate the info. I would never cut the bike up..Thanks not what I am going for. I just want a nice looking first bike, and if you guys say that original is the nice look then that's a option. I am not opposed to having the bike look original, I am saying that it looks very rough sitting there. I am assuming that I need to strip this bike and clean up/go through every part on this bike.

When this bike was parked it was still running, no major problems to motor or trans. I am unsure of original miles. I know that bike has been overhauled to max, my father informed me that if bike had any issue than it would have to be sleeved. I am unsure of original miles as gauges have been replaced. These gauges say 383 miles but I am sure that is not original miles.

*again the Black Scooter as Ironhead Tommy referred to to is not my bike and has nothing to do with my 76 - I had just poster a picture of a final build that I THOUGHT I wanted my bike to resemble. I posted it so I could get feedback from everyone - Thanks for all the Feedback!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:14 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Wansomdis
... I am assuming that I need to strip this bike and clean up/go through every part on this bike ...
This might not be a good idea. There are a lot of basket cases out there that started as good intentions. Then the owner ran out of cash or got in over his head or whatever.

My own approach is to change all of the fluids and the spark plugs, then see about getting the engine running. Perhaps a short ride around the neighborhood.

Next i never strip a bike completely. That approach is OK for the very experienced but IMO is not a good idea for a beginner.

I work the bike one section at a time while always keeping it not-to-far from being a daily rider. For example i might do the front end - tire, wheel, wheel bearings, brakes, fork seals [only if leaking, otherwise leave for winter project time], instruments, etc. Then ride again.

Next similar on the back end: rear wire harness, tire, wheel, wheel bearings, brakes, etc - leaving the swingarm bearings for winter project time. More riding.

Finally everything under the fuel tank except the engine: wire harness, ignition coil, horn, carb, etc.

This way you have a bike to ride, you never get in over your head, and you have a good time of it.

As my indie mechanic says, you never wanna tear down a good running engine. Once it is running and fully warmed up do a compression and other tests and tear into it only if it is needed.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Wansomdis
Stage IV

Thanks Mick - Very good Advice! I am going to read through my Factory Parts Diagram a bit before I decide to tear into anything. This may be a project that I need to find some good help with. Again, this is my first Harley so it's all a learning experience from here on out. I don't want to get in over my head! I really like your idea of keeping it original!

My first thoughts was tearing the whole bike down, powder coating the frame, polish all aluminum, if couldn't be polished by new, re-spoke and polish aluminum wheels (Spokes must be steel - rusted), try and clean up front end, and try and find a local shop (Non-Dealership) help me clean up motor and carbs???? Again, I may be in over my head....Not scared to admit!!!....What better way to learn correct??? Thanks Mick!

Quick Reply: 1976 HD Ironhead XLH