Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

EdLocke 1977 Scrambler build

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 04:41 AM
edlocke
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile EdLocke 1977 Scrambler build

Hi Guys, new here...thanks to all the oldtimers [young too] that offer their time and hard earned knowledge to us newbies....hats off.
I have a 1977 showing 22,ooo on the clock....stocker, it appears for the most case to be a good example....but its dirty, has some wear hear and there but has been well cared for. This is my 1st Harley, I grew up [Im 56 now] with Jap bikes, later raced BSA sinless but never wrenched on a HD. My plans are to freshen the top end, replace clutches and any seals and gaskets I can get to.
Over all my thoughts are to build a scrambler looking bike. I come from a MX/flattrack background and want this to have "dirt" feel. All that being said....I'm looking to make the bike to appear early 1960's. Ive laced a early half brake hub, filed down the fork reflectors, adding fork boots, rear covered shocks, adding rear fender-loop like what a Triumph came with and adapt a flat style scrambler seat....plus I will most likely use aluminum fenders.
I'll try and figure out how to add pics along the way.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:57 AM
edlocke
6th Gear
Default 1st bikes

Here is a pic of the bike after lacing new stainless spokes to polished rims and removing the dics front brake hub for early brake hub, Ive bought a new steel fender and have "mocked up a look here" in this picture but like I said in my above thread.....Im most likely going with a rear Triumph looking rear fender loop and aluminum fenders with scrambler seat. At 1st glance I want the bike to appear a 1960 but obviously in looking closer HD guys will know its a 1977.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...1&d=1354964048

Attached Thumbnails EdLocke 1977 Scrambler build-hd1.jpg  
Old 12-08-2012, 05:54 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 603 Likes on 326 Posts

I would say you are on the right track for sure.It has that scrambler feel to me looking at the pictures..Please keep us posted..

Old 12-08-2012, 08:53 AM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice bike what kind of tires are they? i am looking to do that on another bike that is electric and kick to give it a track bike feeling

Old 12-08-2012, 11:21 AM
edlocke
6th Gear
Thumbs up Tires

Tires are "trails" tire back is 4.00x18 and the front is 3.50 x19.
I'd you don't have an online tire store you like....check out www.americanmototire.com they are the most affordable online tire store I know

Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 AM
edlocke
6th Gear
Default Motor tear down

So I took my motor out his morning and took it over to a master HD mechanic who luckily lives in my area. The motor was leaking oil and I wanted to clean it up a bit/paint.... so I decided to just go ahead and bite the $ and freshen the top end. The inside of the motor is like new...the oil has been changed on regular basis and all moving surfaces and bearings are in great shape. Pistons are standard and the cylinders themselves are in beautiful shape. My mechanic was very pleased with its condition. Good thing I decided to tear it down as we did find 2 broken valve springs, one on the front intake and the other on the rear exhaust.

Attached Thumbnails EdLocke 1977 Scrambler build-4.jpg   EdLocke 1977 Scrambler build-3.jpg   EdLocke 1977 Scrambler build-2.jpg   EdLocke 1977 Scrambler build-1.jpg  
Old 12-08-2012, 01:26 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

I had a broken valve spring like that one time. Was the inner spring. I did not know until i had the head off and to the machine shop for some other reason.

The slight vertical scuffing on the piston could be from running lean or from too much idling for warm-up.

These engines run best a bit on the rich side. I allow no more that 60 seconds warm up even in temperatures below 0`C, and i keep the RPM a little above idle during this; then i ride conservatively until full warm up.

Last edited by IronMick; 12-08-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:24 PM
edlocke
6th Gear
Default parts for scrambler build

Thanks Mick for the comments, I've noticed you're one of the "Brains" on the board and appreciate your test of time!
Here are my wheels, frame will get clean and powder coated next week.
I ordered the needed parts for the motor: new ring set. valve spring kit, complete gasket/seal kit, electronic ignition, chrome bolt motor kit, solenoid rebuild, oil sensor. Most all my parts have come from Kirk at Sporty parts.

Attached Thumbnails EdLocke 1977 Scrambler build-frame.jpg   EdLocke 1977 Scrambler build-rearw.jpg   EdLocke 1977 Scrambler build-frontw.jpg  

Last edited by edlocke; 12-08-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 PM
sic_graphics
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nice ride looking forward to follow your build as i build mine too.. let me know if there is anything you find difficult of the rebuild.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 PM
edlocke
6th Gear

Originally Posted by sic_graphics
nice ride looking forward to follow your build as i build mine too.. let me know if there is anything you find difficult of the rebuild.
Thanks! Since I'm not restoring mine but rather bridging many years of different Ironheads....it's a bit challenging but nothing too difficult...just a lot if planning and trial and error getting parts to fit to go with my over-all design that I have in my head.
I wish there was a kit that's out there to bolt and go like Bitter End choppers offers for Bobber builds....but this will be a one off.
Do you have a build thread going?

Quick Reply: EdLocke 1977 Scrambler build