Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.
View Poll Results: Why do you check out vintage Harley threads?
I like all Harley's and check out all the threads.
32.29%
I especially like vintage Harley's
25.00%
I own a vintage Harley and look for threads related to my year of bike.
47.92%
I hope to own a vintage Harley and I am always looking for ideas/information on a certain year.
18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 12:47 PM
BayBones
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build

Hey guys - I have been waiting till the cold dark winter months to start this thread cause everyone seems to like to follow these things in the non-riding months - and I know I will have lots of questions for the guys that frequent this forum. This will no doubt be a long build - probably won't be completed this winter - not that its that complicated (it is my first build) but I just don't have the time to do everything I want in one winter season. It might be in riding condition next summer but it probably won't be where I want it for a couple of years.
I have been looking for a good donor bike for well over a year now and I found one a few moths ago. I wanted to use a 70's era sportster (wanted left side shift (post 74) and pre 79 when the frame was changed. I learned from this site that 77 and 78 would be the best examples to use - so that was my target. I found a 1977 XLT in almost original condition and it was a great runner and had almost all original parts. I had to travel about 1440 km to get her but she is now mine and I love her (Thanks for looking after her so well Wally.)
My plan is not to cut the frame but to convert this stock (somewhat homely) bike into a cool little bobber (not a rigid) with red wheels, white wall tires, drag bars, solo seat with that minimalist approach to bobber building (somewhat redundant since bobbers are all about being minimalists machines).
So far I have taken off the parts that I will not use and sold most of them, picked up a bunch of parts - forward controls, 32 ford side mount tail light bracket, turbo air cleaner etc. and have started taking pics of the changes. I will hopefully be able to add to the thread every few days or weeks so here goes nothin - hope it provides some distraction form the long winter(non-riding) months for those who love these bikes. I know it will for me:-)
This first pic is of the bike as I got her - I will also posy a few others to get the thread rolling.

Attached Thumbnails 1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build-dscn0005.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,555 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Fun fun fun! Your first subscriber.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:03 PM
BayBones
Tourer

Here is a few pics of some of the other mods - turbo air cleaner, as well as some forward controls that will give me that forward riding position that I love:-)

Attached Thumbnails 1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build-dscn0014.jpg   1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build-dscn0017.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 01:08 PM
BayBones
Tourer

Here are a few other goodies (can't seem to post more than two pics at a time!) The mini speedo and tach - the tach will be mounted to the old bracket for the original air cleaner down by my right knee - I guess I will soon learn if the vibration is too much for that location - otherwise I will mount the tach from the frame near that area (am I crazy for doing this - I love that look LOL).
I also have a 1932 ford Side Mount Tail light assembly from TC Bros Choppers - looks wicked cool.

Attached Thumbnails 1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build-dscn0015.jpg   1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build-dscn0018.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 01:13 PM
BayBones
Tourer

Finally (some of you will no doubt laugh at this - that s fine LOL) I am going to try the Moon Eyes White wall tire inserts to get the whitewall look I need to pull off what I call the Hot Rod look. The tires on this bike were virtually brand new when I got her so I didn't want to waste money on new white wall tires and these only cost $100 for 4 delivered to the door (in Eastern Canada from California no less) so I figured it was a good gamble - If I like them it saved me $600. for two new white wall tires - if I could find a white wall for a 19 inch rim. They look pretty cool so far:-). Cant wait to hear the comments about these things.

Attached Thumbnails 1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build-dscn0021.jpg  

Last edited by BayBones; 01-01-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:21 PM
BayBones
Tourer

Last but not least I want to share two pics that are the inspiration for this build. The first picture shows what I hope the bike will look like from the stance (this one was built by DP Customs) - low and mean but with the shocks still in tact.

The second photo shows the colour combination (black frame - red wheels - white walls) that I am going for.

So now you all know what I am trying to build from this homely little sportster - lets see what I actually end up with over the coming months LOL (probably look more like a vespa that whats in my head LOL)

Attached Thumbnails 1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build-1978_harley_sportster_bobber_by_dpc_468x448.jpg   1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build-1977-bobber-4.jpg  

Last edited by BayBones; 01-01-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:30 PM
BayBones
Tourer

This is what she looks like with the peanut tank rather than the original super glide tank that the 77 XLT came with.

Attached Thumbnails 1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build-dscn0011.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,555 Likes on 3,058 Posts

I'm waiting to see how those whitewall "inserts" look before passing judgement~

Old 01-01-2014, 05:45 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Congrats on the find. I am envious. You got the good, probably the best, forward controls, and a cool looking air cleaner.

All the best from another Canadian!

Old 01-01-2014, 08:51 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BayBones
Finally (some of you will no doubt laugh at this - that s fine LOL) I am going to try the Moon Eyes White wall tire inserts to get the whitewall look I need to pull off what I call the Hot Rod look. The tires on this bike were virtually brand new when I got her so I didn't want to waste money on new white wall tires and these only cost $100 for 4 delivered to the door (in Eastern Canada from California no less) so I figured it was a good gamble - If I like them it saved me $600. for two new white wall tires - if I could find a white wall for a 19 inch rim. They look pretty cool so far:-). Cant wait to hear the comments about these things.
I'm wondering about those white inserts also. What kind of adhesive. etc......??????

Quick Reply: 1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build