J&M Motorcycle Audio Providing the industry's best motorcycle audio products for 32 years. If you have any questions for J&M, reach out directly to John here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 channel or 4 channel amp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 08:33 AM
morogold
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 channel or 4 channel amp?

Never had a bike with a sound system but I really need to upgrade the audio on my SGS because when I use it at least it should sound good. Don't want to blast the streets...just want better clarity and volume on the road. Very interested in the new J&M 330w 2 channel amp with their speakers...seems like good quality for the price from what I researched. My question is will the two fairing speakers be enough or should I invest in the 550w 4 channel which would give me the option to add lower fairing or saddlebag speakers down the "road"?

Old 07-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

getting started on audio upgrade? you'd be smart to visit the audio forum here. last I looked there were about 184 pages regarding up grading the audio system on 14/15's. and have fun with those fairing speaker pods, lol; had those suckers off and on about a dozen times.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:11 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

morogold ,,,,,

if you are thinking about rear saddlebag lid speakers sometime down the road, then I would purchase the 500w 4-ch ROKKER amp now, that will allow you to use it to power the ROKKER XX fairing speakers, and the rear channels would just be left open until you added the rears ,,,,,,,,

under that scenario, this would be the amp you would order http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....MP-500HC14-SGP ,,,,,,

"IF" you want the very best sound available for your 2014 SGS then I would purchase this entire ROKKER XX Extreme kit http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....EK-500SP4-14SG (((which requires this special J&M/Harley radio flash http://www.jmcorp.com/PDF/HarleyRadi...04-02-2015.pdf )) and install the front fairing speakers, the amp and the rear lid wiring harness only ,,,,,,

then order your color matched lids from Harley at your leisure and connect up the rear speakers whenever you are ready ,,,,,

let me know when you are ready to order and I will get a good promo discount for you ,,,,

Old 07-21-2015, 08:39 AM
morogold
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the Rokker 330 watt 2 channel amp with the 6.5 speakers from Directcycleparts.com. I thought their pricing was great and didn't realize a promo discount as a member. I did speak to a tech at Rokker to verify I would be able to install lower fairing speakers down the road with this amp. The other reason for this choice was that it is the only system that doesn't require a dealer flash. Just curious if I made the right choice for my needs since I don't want rear lid speakers and want lower fairings for the colder weather riding.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:14 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

morogold ,,,,,

Direct Cycle Parts is a very good dealer of ours, so you made a good choice ,,,,,,

when you are ready to add LOWER speakers ,,,, use these two wiring harnesses for connection http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....HLRK-6652-ISCH ,,,,, AND http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....AWH-HSGU14-LWR ,,,,,,

here are your LOWER speakers http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....LRK-6652TW-RXX ,,,,,,\

when you are done I will help you adjust the amp to make up for the change in impedance ,,,,,,

also ,, if you ever decide to go with the special J&M/Harley Flash, your J&M 330w amp is field adjustable so I can help you at that point also ,,,,,,

please let me know how it sounds when you get it installed ,,,,,

Old 07-29-2015, 08:13 PM
morogold
Advanced

I completed the install and all is up and running.
To be perfectly honest...I'm disappointed that some tracks on my downloaded usb at mid to high volume distort. Almost sounds like the speakers are going to blow.
What can be wrong...too much power...bad usb recording(download from Itunes)...or just need another set of speakers to distribute the power.
I'm not an audiophile or savvy tech person...just thought this system would be awesome. Any suggestions?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:52 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

regardless of your music source there may always be some tracks that distort at maximum volume, same thing can happen with the FM radio playing thru the system ,,,,,

what you have now is a great improvement over stock ,,,,,,,

if you want even more, (and who doesn't) have your Harley dealer perform this exact Harley radio flash http://www.jmcorp.com/pdf/HarleyRadi...04-02-2015.pdf ,,,,, once you are done, get back with me and I will help you re-adjust the amp ,,,,,

Old 07-31-2015, 06:28 AM
morogold
Advanced

I do appreciate your responses but I'm a little confused. I purchased this system so I didn't have to go to the dealer and get a flash. But if I understand... it will help? By the way...it is a 100 percent improvement over stock.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:05 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

morogold ,,,,,,

that is correct ,,, we sell the amplifiers set up for BOTH the stock Harley radio OR the stock Harley radio with the special J&M/Harley flash ,,,,,,,

but if the system using the stock Harley radio settings is not satisfactory, then doing the flash and readjusting the amplifier will improve it even more ,,,,,

Old 08-04-2015, 07:48 PM
morogold
Advanced

I ordered the lower fairings with the speaker mounts...probably 3-4 weeks.
Your last reply tells me I have to order both the hrlk 6652 isch and awh hsgu14-lwr harnesses. I called and spoke to one of your staff today...but he mentioned only needing the hrlk 6652 isch. Please verify.
He also mentioned I should send back the amp for your techs to adjust for additional speakers...what should I do since u mentioned u can help.

Quick Reply: 2 channel or 4 channel amp?