Sponsored by:

After Market Exhaust for the Milwaukee 8

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:17 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
It goes without saying that if you make changes to the header, breather, you will have to tune the bike which is the issue. You can put on all types of slip on's without any issue. its when you decide to go further and need to tune the bike that creates this warranty question.
Agreed, but it has ALWAYS been this way. It has been against Federal law to remove any emission device from a bike and removing the CAT directly violates that and always has. Does not matter if it is a 2008 or a 2017 there is no change in the law. HD has voided the warranty in the past for it, and will continue to do so in the future, doesn't matter the model year.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:35 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Agreed, but it has ALWAYS been this way. It has been against Federal law to remove any emission device from a bike and removing the CAT directly violates that and always has. Does not matter if it is a 2008 or a 2017 there is no change in the law. HD has voided the warranty in the past for it, and will continue to do so in the future, doesn't matter the model year.
Feels like we are beating this one to death. Of course you are right. But it is always dealer to dealer. Lucky for me I have a good honest dealer with a good relationship with them. I am not worried about the warranty issues.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Glyder54
Banned
Received 541 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by riknbeth
Feels like we are beating this one to death. Of course you are right. But it is always dealer to dealer. Lucky for me I have a good honest dealer with a good relationship with them. I am not worried about the warranty issues.
Until a Moco rep might have to get involved.. Plenty of scenarios can happen that would be out of your dealers hands. You spend your money and takes your chances.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:31 PM
bzb123
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Having a good dealer helps, however......

These are touring bikes, most of us don't hang around our local dealer.

No way of knowing what an out of state (or country) dealer will have to say about your questionable warranty claim

Jus sayin.....

Old 09-28-2016, 02:43 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Lucky for me I have a good honest dealer with a good relationship with them. I am not worried about the warranty issues.
That does no good when your motor craps the bed somewhere in Alabama. . .

Old 09-28-2016, 03:11 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisinmann
You can do the SE stage I or II and use the SE street tuner then your warranty stays intact.I talked with service guy at dealer said Harley will void if cat is out and have to use SE epa certified parts
Of course the HD service guy would tell you that. Most who start playing the game of more horsepower are taking a risk... I understand the EPA concern so it sounds like wait a year (standard warranty) and then tear it up.

It will be interesting to watch the aftermarket/ epa posts.
SORRY didn't mean to hijack the post!

Im considering a M8 powered RG but will wait until 2017 (I think) so there is good info here.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:13 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by tgaetto
. . . it sounds like wait a year (standard warranty) and then tear it up.
Ummm, the factory warranty is two years.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:16 PM
coach127
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I talked to my service rep on Monday when I picked the bike up from the 1K about this. I was told that the dealer will indeed void my warranty if the CAT is removed and they will not put on any type of duels where there is not a CAT. I ask if my extended warranty is voided will they return my money on the pro rated portion not used. This they had to hesitate on.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:20 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Rush will release slash down slip ons this coming Monday. Slash up slip ons the following Monday.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:32 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
Ummm, the factory warranty is two years.
Ummmm wait 2 then

Quick Reply: After Market Exhaust for the Milwaukee 8