Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Who has H-D Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Who has H-D Insurance?

Just got a thing in the mail for HD Insurance and decided to go to their website and get quote. Paying about $650/yr with Allstate in PA right now, their quote came back at $315/yr for the same identical coverage. It almost looks like it is underwritten by Progressive because they ask you on the online quote if you have Progressive insurance.

My Allstate went up last year by $200, agent said PA bike insurance went up all around due to claims (yea right).

Anyways, who has this insurance and what have any claims been like?

I am of the thinking if something is too good to be true then it normally is, so what are the issues with this insurance??

Old 03-25-2012, 08:06 AM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have hd insurance since 2002 mine is under formost..farmers..i had a major claim on a new bike with no probs..was very happy with there claims dept

Old 03-25-2012, 08:16 AM
torkrollin
Cruiser

my wife and i changed over to HD HOG insurance in 2010. we had the same type of quote, about half of what we were paying. ours is through Formost insurance. when i was setting up the ins. they asked how much i wanted to value each bike at, in case they were stolen etc.. thats an option progressive didnt offer. so far we havent had to file a claim with them.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I found when I shopped for Bike insurance rates that were the best, about 80% of the companies out there are just re-selling progressive insurance. This of course will vary by geographic location but it's what I found in my area. I would get with progressive first and then take it from there. Just call them direct, they give discounts for many things. Homeowner, multi-policy, HOG membership, etc.......

Old 03-25-2012, 08:19 AM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was on Progressive, then switched to geico last year. Was told to check out Diaryland this weekend. Much more motorcycle perks, IE towing, car rental, lodging etc..

I was paying nearly 400 for both bikes using 500 deductible (clean record) and standard options. Dairyland is 200. 234 with 100/300/100 and 250 deductible.

Switched.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
As I found when I shopped for Bike insurance rates that were the best, about 80% of the companies out there are just re-selling progressive insurance. This of course will vary by geographic location but it's what I found in my area. I would get with progressive first and then take it from there. Just call them direct, they give discounts for many things. Homeowner, multi-policy, HOG membership, etc.......

Yep, just got an email directly from Progressive saying my quote has been saved and I can call them direct to buy it.

Sounds like I may be going with this, less then 1/2 the price of what I have currently for the same coverage.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
Yep, just got an email directly from Progressive saying my quote has been saved and I can call them direct to buy it.

Sounds like I may be going with this, less then 1/2 the price of what I have currently for the same coverage.
That's what happened to me when I moved and bought my first home last October, I know there was a change of zip code, but I only moved 20 mins away the homeowners discount is what made the difference. My policy went down 50% from before as well.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:43 AM
rwb1
Tourer

Problem with motorcycle insurance is that they dont pay out the same as an automobile claim...

Any "mods" done to your bike ...chrome , rims, paint etc...change the bike from stock and are not covered by most policies. I have built a few customs, went to my local state farm guy that I have used for 20 years...he tells me that I need 3 independent appraisers to go over my bike and give it a value... he then tells me that if the bike were totaled they would pay out up to 60% of that value...depending on certain criteria

Bike was appraised at $27k average....yearly insurance was $651 full coverage...pay out if destroyed would be $10-13k. New plan....ride smart....pay $88 yearly for the best liability I can get in NY and invest the other $$$ in something useful.

I worked for HD for years as the service manager in a local dealership and did all the insurance write ups as a licensed insurance appraiser and fought non stop with ALL the major companies trying to get customers what they deserved....never , ever worked out in favor of the little guy..

Be safe and ask your agent about chrome, and custom rims, and paint....you know, all the stuff we do to our bikes , cover your a$$.

Last edited by rwb1; 03-25-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:46 AM
beansSG
Tourer

I just a letter from them too. Was gonna ask on here but never got to it. Maybe I should check it out.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:52 AM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I’ve had Harley Insurance for a long time and have found it’s more reasonable than all the rest for me. In the past I’ve had Formost, Farmers, Progressive and a few others. Geico is outa the ball park with their prices.

I wouldn’t give Allstate the sweat off my b****.

I haven’t ever made a claim against any of my motorcycle insurance plans and hope I never do.

Quick Reply: Who has H-D Insurance?