National Events A place to discuss and plan for National Events.

Sturgis, the week before!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 06:11 AM
Cjacks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sturgis, the week before!

We are going to Sturgis a week early. I realize we will miss " the party" but all the roads will be open. It seems like there will be a decent crowd the week before. We got a good deal on a hotel in Rapid City. Most of the Hotels are full even the week before. I am hoping we can experience the area with about half as many people. We don't care about concerts but are hoping there will be some bands playing in some of the bars. I was wondering if there are many vendors the week before. Have any of you members gone the week before and what was your experience like? Thanks.....cj

Old 04-09-2015, 06:35 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 529 Likes on 290 Posts

Your thought is the same as mine, going the week before and staying in Rapid City. Hoping to get more riding in with less traffic. I'm sure Main Street will be plenty busy.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:41 AM
wuzfuz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Any time in the HILLS is good. The vendors will be there and so will some of the crowd. Stopped in the week before when coming back from Glacier a couple of years ago. Found primo camping spot on a little stream in a S.D. roadside campground.
Have Fun
WUZFUZ

Old 04-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Pix
Road Master
Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Getting there the Wednesday before, Hotel thru Sunday camping thru tuesday then head back. Experience a little bit of everything!

Old 04-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Jerome Casi
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting there the 26th of July, leaving the 3rd of August. You have to see a little of the party IMO

Old 04-21-2015, 07:56 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Jerome,your VW trike look anything like this
Sturgis, the week before!-2014-08-10-17.55.32.jpg

Old 04-21-2015, 08:00 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

There's a good turnout of people and vendors the week before. They'll be plenty to see and experience. Been there and done that.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:26 PM
Cjacks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trip to Sturgis is still on, we are inside 6 weeks and I am getting a bit wound up. This is my first long riding trip in a while. I have my Ultra Low going in for her fist Service this week. So far I really like the new bike. I did decide to get a new windshield because of some annoying buffeting. I got an 8" clear flat top LRS. It just arrived today, I am going to install it tomorrow. I rode 250 miles today and everything felt good. I checked my mpg for the first time and I was surprised to get 46.5 mpg. I was expecting to be around 40. I am sure when I add a passenger and a bunch of stuff I'll be a lot closer to 40 mpg. I have most of the operational basics figured out for all the gadgets. I like the navigation but I am not much of radio fanatic. My favorite song is the one coming from the V- Twin via V&H true dual headers and 4" Rinehart exhaust.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:27 AM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I actually called the Sturgis Chamber of Commerce back in February and talked with a couple of nice people. They said back then that rooming demands for the 75th were higher at that point in February than any other previous February reported. As a result, they said they were soliciting vendors to come in earlier than normal. They thought that the crowds would start building about Wednesday, and that several activities would be up and running to support the early crowds. So, we too, are going out for the run-up to the first weekend. At the very least, we should have lighter crowds in the Black Hills for riding, and hopefully plenty of places to get a cold beer at night.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:27 AM
justposts
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We're leaving here ( southern Ontario ) Fri. 17th. Heading to Pikes Peak, Durango, Jackson Hole, then thru Yellowstone to Beartooth Pass. Then onto Deadwood from 26th - 31st. This will be our 3rd time pre rally. We always have a great time. Plenty of people, vendors and great riding. Just not as busy.

Quick Reply: Sturgis, the week before!