Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Dad dropped the bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:58 PM
El Cuervo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dad dropped the bike

Yes I find myself back with a ready ride scoot in the garage…..a 00 ultra to be specific, one that I purchased new in the spring of that year; Not my first bike nor my first Harley as traded in a heritage to purchase the ultra,,,,,The list of bikes before that is of the usual suspects of foreign manufacture with the exception of my first bike which notably in my memory was the coolest most bad-*** mini-bike in the whole neighborhood or perhaps even my side of town! …..”The Rail”

It was a gift of my father, at the somewhat protest of my mother, and thinking back it was a surely heavy expense for a father of four at that time……..Oh, but was it Magical! And put me “in my mind” of the same stature and elevated level of cool of Fonda and Hopper,,,,,Yes! Life was good then for a short period as I was at a all-time pinnacle of coolness with my peers……LOL it’s been pretty much downhill from there other than that brief period of time when the daughters were very young. For a time there I had them buffaloed that their dad was cool , but they too soon grew into teenagers and figure out dad was near next to a imbecile with a proclivity for motorcycles……

But all may not be lost, as the daughters are getting a bit older now and showing some signs that they might be allowing me the benefit of the doubt or in least charity towards the old man and coming around to the idea that the old guy might know a thing or two other than how to reset the service light on the dash of their cars……

Like mentioned before dad was the one that initially promoted this two wheel motorized transportation business that has perpetuated with me for going on forty years and for the early part of my riding and assorted bikes he showed that fatherly interest but none to serious………..That is until I put the soft-tail on order; Rather quickly I noticed a spark in dad’s interest as I was bombarded with all sorts of inquiries of what model, displacement, color,,,,when would it arrive, what add-ons were conceived,,,,,,Oh it went on and on, leaving little in the way of doubt that he favored the Harley and for a time there it was up to some debate on who was anticipating the arrival of the new Heritage more me or my father,,,,

The Heritage showed up after a stent of waiting, all black, glistening chrome, slammed lowered front and rear,,,,,, a dual fish-tailed modern-day replicate of Uncle Glen’s panhead with likings of that grainy black and white early 50’s photo memorialized the old family photo album……Dad I could tell was enamored and well so was I…….Yes it wasn’t brisling with all the latest go-fast highway carving technologies of the day…..a double compound off camber tight sweeper at speed it did not relay much in the way of confidence, nor grace in motion, but awwwww it was pure joy in action ridden within its limits and I could hardly get enough of it.
Try as I might repeatedly offered dad the chance to ride,,,,, told him; just come over a get the thing when every you want, putt-around as you like, shoot ! Take it over to your place for a week or so, I know where it is when I want it…….But even so that he continued to be regularly inquisitive of the latest doings with the bike, he always begged off actually taking it for a ride.

Then eventually after some enquiry the truth was discovered ………The “evil step-mother” ! Was singled out as the source and hindrance to dads’ dilemma, whom protested to some vehement existent of the grave dangers of the sport and though she did not expressly denied such doings, let it be well know that she had strong preferences against it…….Now let it be known she’s not really evil and in some respects can understand the resistance of attitude towards a spouse that up and decides on something you hadn’t quite bargained for going into a relationship…..Fortunately for me avoided such conflicts in that married the proverbial high school sweetheart of my youth whom knew all too well the foolery and low caliber stock she invested in.

But things change as life passes on and refrained in pushing dad on riding, though he was continually curious of my odd adventures to the Blue Ridge, hwy 129 (the Dragon) Mt. Mitchell, the beach rallies, and the runs to Key West, Sturgis and of course Memphis and the Jungle Room,,,,,,as it would be near heresy for any respective batwing geezer driver of the southland not make a run to Graceland J.

Then came the shocker, unexpected and worrisome; Dad called saying that he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. What followed in the weeks and months of surgery, treatments, doctor consultations were trying times,,,,,,Luckly it was discovered early and thankfully with remission recovery to active life continued…….But with a bit of change of heart or perhaps a more stout resolve to do his will in the aftermath of starring down the barrel of the ominous big “C” , as not too long after dad getting back on this feet while we were chatting on the phone he asked me about riding the Ultra…… I said of course! I’ll grab the keys and meet you down at the old K-Mart parking lot, and we’ll have you in the saddle in short-order.

Now this was fun and as much as I enjoy riding I can’t help but say it was beyond glee in being able turn the tables on my father and set him loose out in the parking lot for his first forays on a modern Harley. Yes it was a pleasing, most rewarding event that will always linger with me and he didn’t choke it off but a couple of times before he had the feel of the clutch and was on his way ,,,,It wasn’t much to long afterwards dad had signed up to the rider course and the local community college, passed the course and obtained the license endorsement….From there came calls and conversations of his outings that rang with a cheer , and good times out and about……. I was tickled and basked in his youthful enjoyment, as for me, I went and got the bike when the notion struck, but mostly let it be for a while.

Then, well the enviable came about……Dad called and said he dropped the bike. It wasn’t the first time and as most know if you ride any at all you’re going the drop the thing,,,,,it happens. But this time I could tell it was different for him, with realization of some acceptance his balance was failing him and with that the confidence to safely manage the bike, he made the decision to return the Ultra…..An ending of sorts I imagine, but not one of melancholy or loss,,,,,,for there for a while a longing was fulfilled and will be forever grateful for having the opportunity to grant it.

Kind of a odd introduction of sorts and a self indulgence on my part,,,,But why not?.. Meanwhile the scooter is back home, serviced and but a toed jiffy-stand away from setting out on the highway.

Take care

Last edited by El Cuervo; 07-23-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Concrete Man
Outstanding HDF Member

Great story!
Welcome to the forum from Mo.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:58 PM
ceebaileys
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from sunny Southern California

Old 07-23-2012, 04:14 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome!

Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Beagletim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to HDF!

Old 07-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome

Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:17 PM
JD 80
Intermediate

Great introduction, thanks for sharing. Hope dad's healthy & happy!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Throwback
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum from South Mississippi.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome Story and thank you for sharing with us! Welcome to HDForums!

Quick Reply: Dad dropped the bike