2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only one that hates the hydraulic clutches on the 2014 touring models?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:19 AM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Am I the only one that hates the hydraulic clutches on the 2014 touring models?

I have a 2014 Street Glide with a hydraulic clutch. Since day one I have not liked it. I find that it just does not engage as smoothly or gradually as a cable clutch. When I purchased this bike I had test rode both it and a Road King. The 2014 Road Kings still have a cable clutch. Right off the bat I noticed I was lugging the Street Glide every time I took off where I wasn't the Road King. But overall, I liked the Street Glide better, and thought the hydraulic clutch would be something I would get used to. I have somewhat, but still find that the bike lugs bad when trying to take off on an uphill incline, and lugs sometimes with a passenger on it. I like the Street Glide for the most part, but find myself wishing I had bought a Road King with a cable clutch. Am I the only one having this issue? Maybe hyd. clutches are just not for me?

I've been riding motorcycles for over ten years and have never had this issue with a cable clutch. This is the first bike I've owned with a hydraulic clutch.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:23 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't say that I hate the hydraulic clutch but I sure did like the cable on my 2007 Ultra better. Easy to maintain and less to go wrong I guess. 2 recalls on the hydraulic already can make one a bit uneasy.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:29 AM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't like it or dislike it. Honestly i can't really tell the difference. I don't know what's so awesome about them. The recalls suck.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:35 AM
liam1953
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic clutch

Just yesterday while riding I was thinking about the same thing, cable over hydraulic On my 2014 Ultra you really have to have a feel for the throttle and clutch to make a quick clean getaway, would still prefer the cable if given the choice

Old 09-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Padre
Club Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 526 Posts

I also find I am lugging a little more with the hydraulic over the cable clutch.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Rooster37
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is taking me some time to get use to it. It is less of a feel but I am slowly getting use to it.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:48 AM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts

I don't like it or dislike it. I have been riding bikes with hydraulic clutches since 1989. I have also ridden bikes with cable clutches since I began riding over 40 years ago. I have even owned bikes with cable clutches and hydraulic clutches at the same time.

I think you just have to get used to where the friction zone is and how it reacts during shifting.

The hydraulic clutches are supposed to be easier to pull, and in most cases it is.

I think the recalls are out because Harley is just now getting into this, and it is a learning curve. I am sure other manufacturers had recalls or problems with their clutches back in the 80's and 90's when they first started using them.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

I like the idea of having the adjustability of a cable clutch. Had over 70k on my RG with no problems with the cable clutch. Makes one wonder how difficult it would be to covert a hydraulic clutch to cable.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:56 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Just had the recall performed and the bike is running out very well. I guess with cable you would possibly have an easier fix if the cable stretched or snapped ; whereas you're pretty much at the mercy of the bike if the hydraulics went.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:57 AM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Yukon42
I like the idea of having the adjustability of a cable clutch. Had over 70k on my RG with no problems with the cable clutch. Makes one wonder how difficult it would be to covert a hydraulic clutch to cable.
I'm wondering the same thing. I would think it would be expensive if not impossible on the 14's-15's. The reason is the older batwing fairings had a hole that the clutch cable passed through going to the other side of the bike. The new fairings do not have this.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one that hates the hydraulic clutches on the 2014 touring models?