Sponsored by:

Gerbing heated gear and the CanBus system

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gerbing heated gear and the CanBus system

I've been looking into some heated gear and watched a video on Revzillas sight. It said there would be issues if heated gear was plugged into the 12v power outlets like the one on the fairing and in the tour pak.

Maybe I misunderstood them. All I need to run is a vest and a pair of gloves for myself and my wife. I figured that would be the less expensive route to go rather than the harness mounted to the battery.

Any info or suggestions would be helpful.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The harness you connect to the battery comes with the heated gear you buy for free. They are cheap and every piece of heated gear you buy will come with the harness, so most people end up with several extra thT they never install.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:10 PM
GSHOG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the Gerbing jacket and gloves and they are connected to the electrical system on my '14 Limited with a direct fused line to the battery. The harness is provided with the heated gear. Used them all last winter with no problems. I can't say how they would work with the fairing or tour pack outlets.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Afdharley
Road Master

So the gear comes with the harness included? It didn't look like that in the descriptions.

Any other issues or things I should know or look out for?

Old 10-19-2014, 05:15 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a nice harness connected directly to the battery. I have to have my heated controller turned off when I start my bike or the controller will not work properly. All Gerbing gear. As long as I turn the controller on after I start the bike it works fine.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:16 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Get the dual controller it's much better than on off switch.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Londonbike
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read my thread on this subject. The battery tender harness supplied with bike is fused for 20 amps and can be used for heated gear up to this amperage. If you want to hook up supplied harness from heated gear go ahead. But you don't have to.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Afdharley
Road Master

I looked again and see where the battery harness comes with the gear. So all I would need is the dual controller for jacket and gloves.
Londonbike do you have a link to your thread or will it come up under a simple search?

Old 10-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Pewter
Advanced

I have Gerbings heated jacket and gloves wired to my 2104 SG. As others have said each piece of clothing comes with a fused connector that you can connect direct to the battery which means it doesn't affect the canbus at all. I don't know about the vest but the jacket has connectors on the sleeves for the gloves, which mean you only need to plug the jacket into the battery connector and then use a dual heat controller so you can regulate the jacket and gloves separately. You will need to work out how you are going to connect the four bits of kit for you and your wife and if the bike can handle that amount of current draw. My thinking on connection would be two battery connectors and then you and/or wife could plug in separate dual temp controllers and plug in vests and gloves. I have a feeling each bit of kit pulls about 5 amps but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Pewter; 10-19-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:39 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Londonbike
Read my thread on this subject. The battery tender harness supplied with bike is fused for 20 amps and can be used for heated gear up to this amperage. If you want to hook up supplied harness from heated gear go ahead. But you don't have to.
THAT ^^^^

I run my heated jacket liner and gloves off the Rushmore battery tender lead. It's fused at 20a. No need to hook up another harness.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: Gerbing heated gear and the CanBus system