Sponsored by:

Automatic transmisions on future Harleys

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 05:12 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Automatic transmisions on future Harleys

This month's HD Advisory Panel questionnaire dealt with possible automatic transmissions on future HD's. I expressed my complete lack of desire for such a feature. LOL.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:24 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I am with you.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:25 PM
dpmerrill
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

I'll buy a manual transmission as long as it's an option. I usually don't even realize I'm shifting gears anyway.

Unfortunately, as Harley turns over every rock looking for new customers, I'm sure they'll be tempted to put out an automatic to attract inexperienced riders who haven't even seen a clutch pedal in a car.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:25 PM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

An automatic wouldn't surprise me. I know many people don't ride for the simple fact they are intimidated by having to shift the transmission.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:27 PM
jstrenn
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just completed that survey too. I also checked the boxes that I showed no interest in automatic tranny.

I also said in the comment section that I felt part of the experience of riding a motorcycle is being in tune with the machine by using the clutch/throttle and shifting.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:28 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by backplay
An automatic wouldn't surprise me. I know many people don't ride for the simple fact they are intimidated by having to shift the transmission.

Same ones who will cross the line in a curve.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:30 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

At Street Vibrations in Reno this past September, A vendor was selling a conversion for current clutch packs that acts like an automatic. He had a bike set up and demonstrated it.

I ques it was more of a clutch less system than it was an automatic.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:40 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

I guess we'll be seeing an automatic tranny on the next generation of Rushmore bikes.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:42 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by offthewall
This month's HD Advisory Panel questionnaire dealt with possible automatic transmissions on future HD's. I expressed my complete lack of desire for such a feature. LOL.
While a automatic transmission is not something I care about, I can see it as a smart move for the MoCo. Think about the police bikes, cops riding in big cities might like that option. Riders that spend most of their riding timea in heavy traffic, riding for regular transportation. To survive, Harley must expand their use beyond the current market. Think how nice an automatic might be for a older trike buyer that has trouble with the clutch, if this allows them to stay in the wind, I say great! They were talking about a option. It would be a small number built IMO.

Sadly, only 6% of americans can handle a stick shift. Sad, I agree but the facts are what they are.

Think of the veteran that lost a limb, this might help him or her ride again. I can't think of anything better.

Last edited by scottt; 11-20-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:46 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think an automatic transmission is a great idea, as long as it's an option.

Then maybe have a a conversion kit available to move the brake to the left side. No shifter, no clutch, brake on either side. Might make riding a bike possible for more people.

edit: just remembered, I once bought a scooter from a neighbor who was moving and flipped it. The rear brake was where the clutch would normally be. I'm an old guy who plans to ride as long as I can do safely. Just thinking about maybe a trike or hack with an automatic.

Last edited by mmcbeat; 11-20-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Automatic transmisions on future Harleys