Sponsored by:

Another Boom 6.5 problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:17 PM
PunkJunky
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Another Boom 6.5 problem

I've been reading up on Boom 6.5 problems and haven't seen anyone having this problem.

I used to stream music from my iPhone 4S every time I got onto the bike and very rarely listened to the radio. I would start up the bike, the radio would come on, and I would go through the menu to start streaming music. Easy Day

After doing this for a while, it would stop connecting to my phone on the first attempt and just go back to the radio causing me to go through the menu to stream music twice every time I wanted to stream music from my phone. being frustrated, I took it to the dealer and they had no clue how to fix it (go figure), did my 5k service and when they gave it back they told me they couldn't duplicate the problem.

I decided to try something different and loaded up a thumb drive with music and plugged it into the bike. This works perfectly, I start the bike, my music starts up where I left off.

Starting yesterday, my bike started to show just the B&S and the clock for the first min or so when starting up and then going to the radio. Now, once again, I have to go through the menu to tell the radio to play the thumb drive.

Is anyone else having these problems? Has anyone fixed these problems? Am I just screwed until the MOCO finally fixed the troublesome boom system?

Old 12-18-2014, 08:20 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts

It's intermittent and we'll just have to deal with it until when and if they come out with an update to the system that addresses this. It's frustrating as hell. There are many issues with the Boom system including a problem with the zoom in/out of the map at initial start up. It's a loaded with bugs and if you can get past that, it's a decent system.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:35 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Just when you think it consistently, (about 3 times), does the correct thing, it starts its arbitrary nature.

Similar issues, but you can generally, have it operate during your ride, might take a few minutes to get it going.

In today's environment/technological era, it really should work consistent to how you set it up, but...........

Old 12-18-2014, 09:38 PM
limomike
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Take it to your dealer and ask them to install the newest software upgrade that just came out a month agohttps://www.hdforums.com/forum/image...con_banana.gif

Old 12-18-2014, 09:56 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by limomike
Take it to your dealer and ask them to install the newest software upgrade that just came out a month agohttps://www.hdforums.com/forum/image...con_banana.gif
I downloaded 1.18.2 in October so it's two months old at least. It did fix a couple issues but many others remain. After seeing how slow they are to release new firmware versions and how little changes version to version, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:09 AM
pointcrossed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not buying another HD product or supporting my dealer until the update. I recommend everyone else that are having these issues do this until they are fixed. Already informed my dealer.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:45 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Mine does the same thing but not consistent, sometimes it will go back to the radio, sometimes it will go t the last thing playing. I had the dealer do the latest software update which is 1.18.2 which helped my CB problem but still have glitches then the other day it stopped reading the flashdrive with my music I pulled the drive out shut the bike off restarted and plugged the drive back in and it read it.
Who knows.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:53 AM
THE PEG
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

My also has it's moments. But when it is working it is a good system.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:58 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Another aspect is, the dealer 'flash' will have an effect on which 'bugs' are present, or are not, in addition to the downloads (e.g., 1.18.2) we do ourselves. I discovered this when I added 2 more speakers, and the dealer did a flash on the system so it was configured for 4 speakers vice 2. I had 1.18.2 both before, and after. But a slightly different set of bugs before, and after… Post-flash, some things were 'fixed' (e.g., the auto dimming feature works properly now--for the moment at least), and one at least (the AVC function) broke.

This also explained (for me) part of the the reason I was experiencing issues with the system with 1.18.2 loaded, that other guys swore they weren't seeing. It's because…they weren't. There's more issues with the Infotainment system firmware--and the set of bugs we're each experiencing--than just those directly related to the downloads we're all doing, it seems.

BTW, I've got the Boom! fairing-mounted amp along with fairing and lowers speakers. And for the record, the 'bug list' changed twice so far; when going from no-amp to the fairing-mounted amp…then again, when going from 2 speakers with the fairing-mounted amp, to four speakers. For the first change, I thought the bug-list change was due to the download I'd done. Now, I'm not so sure it wasn't the dealer flash. Plenty of room for variation if you consider interaction between the various combinations of user-download, and dealer-flash (and system hardware configuration).

It seems in addition to programming errors, there are substantial issues with quality assurance and/or managing the various firmware configurations, i.e., those related to 'user updates', and those related to 'dealer updates'. To paint with broad strokes, it's all 'process' related. (Or rather, there don't seem to be good software/firmware related processes in place). There are several 'buggy' firmware components, and depending upon how you mix and match them, you'll see a slightly different picture when it comes to symptoms. The 'symptoms' are related to an underlying 'disease', i.e., a lack of effective software/firmware development and management practices, supporting the system.

My fear is that HD won't ensure these issues are resolved, and two or three years from now, they'll have moved on to a different 'Infotainment' product and all of us will be stuck with the bugs we've got now. It's well over a year, and we're still discussing some of the same bugs we were talking about a year ago. Not because we like to bring up old news…but because these bugs haven't been effectively addressed. There's been at least two cycles of user-download since the system was released in the Rushmore bikes. Is HD updating their dealer firmware 'flash' components, too? All I see is a bike with a radio system that has never performed up to par with my expectations--which are that all its features perform as they are meant to do.

And yes...I'm venting. Apologies.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 12-19-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:36 AM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery
Another aspect is, the dealer 'flash' will have an effect on which 'bugs' are present, or are not, in addition to the downloads (e.g., 1.18.2) we do ourselves. I discovered this when I added 2 more speakers, and the dealer did a flash on the system so it was configured for 4 speakers vice 2. I had 1.18.2 both before, and after. But a slightly different set of bugs before, and after… Post-flash, some things were 'fixed' (e.g., the auto dimming feature works properly now--for the moment at least), and one at least (the AVC function) broke.

This also explained (for me) part of the the reason I was experiencing issues with the system with 1.18.2 loaded, that other guys swore they weren't seeing. It's because…they weren't. There's more issues with the Infotainment system firmware--and the set of bugs we're each experiencing--than just those directly related to the downloads we're all doing, it seems.

BTW, I've got the Boom! fairing-mounted amp along with fairing and lowers speakers. And for the record, the 'bug list' changed twice so far; when going from no-amp to the fairing-mounted amp…then again, when going from 2 speakers with the fairing-mounted amp, to four speakers. For the first change, I thought the bug-list change was due to the download I'd done. Now, I'm not so sure it wasn't the dealer flash. Plenty of room for variation if you consider interaction between the various combinations of user-download, and dealer-flash (and system hardware configuration).

It seems in addition to programming errors, there are substantial issues with quality assurance and/or managing the various firmware configurations, i.e., those related to 'user updates', and those related to 'dealer updates'. To paint with broad strokes, it's all 'process' related. (Or rather, there don't seem to be good software/firmware related processes in place). There are several 'buggy' firmware components, and depending upon how you mix and match them, you'll see a slightly different picture when it comes to symptoms. The 'symptoms' are related to an underlying 'disease', i.e., a lack of effective software/firmware development and management practices, supporting the system.

My fear is that HD won't ensure these issues are resolved, and two or three years from now, they'll have moved on to a different 'Infotainment' product and all of us will be stuck with the bugs we've got now. It's well over a year, and we're still discussing some of the same bugs we were talking about a year ago. Not because we like to bring up old news…but because these bugs haven't been effectively addressed. There's been at least two cycles of user-download since the system was released in the Rushmore bikes. Is HD updating their dealer firmware 'flash' components, too? All I see is a bike with a radio system that has never performed up to par with my expectations--which are that all its features perform as they are meant to do.

And yes...I'm venting. Apologies.

Alan
This is probably the best synopsis of the issues with the Boom! that I've read to date!

Quick Reply: Another Boom 6.5 problem