Sponsored by:

Ignition switch stuck in lock mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:46 AM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ignition switch stuck in lock mode

The ignition switch on my Limited is now stuck in the locked position. I can use the key to unlock the switch by pushing in the tab on the underside and turning the key to the release position, but it will not pull out. It will only turn through all the positions as long as the key is in release mode. The fork was locked and would not unlock an any position. I pulled the switch panel to make it easier to work with the tab and when that didn't help I pulled the two screws on the ignition switch to pull out the complete switch.

I have the CVO download so the switch in only for locking the front forks. I am going to take the switch to the HD dealer today and see if they can get it to work right or if I need to get a new one keyed to my bike. Should be covered by warranty either way. We'll see.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

I hope you get that working! BUT...What is the CVO download??

Old 01-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by plongson
I hope you get that working! BUT...What is the CVO download??

They download a setting that lets you unplug the ignition switch and just use the run switch to turn on and off the bike. 2015 and I think the 2014s can do that. You push the trigger switch to turn on accessory. The only time you use the actual ignition switch is when you lock the forks.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

that triangle switch has been tricky for the 20 years i have owner baggers
with 500 post i might not be telling you anything new but don't be afraid to jiggle that sob a little
Mazz

Old 01-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=Watchfuliz;13573468]The ignition switch on my Limited is now stuck in the locked position. I can use the key to unlock the switch by pushing in the tab on the underside and turning the key to the release position, but it will not pull out. It will only turn through all the positions as long as the key is in release mode. rews on the ignition switch to pull out the complete switch.

This happened to me when I was changing bars. The complete switch will pull out with the small key and turning a little beyond the lock position and pull it out. If you can get the complete switch out and nothing is oviously broken, flash light look down into it. I think there is 3 keys or slots down in the switch hole. You can find the right size flat head screwdriver and realign them. Put the switch back in and try it. At first it makes no sense but as you fiddle with it, you'll figer it out. Hope that may help a little, just sayin it can be done with out the dealer good luck.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain

[QUOTE=Gwaxley;13574302]
Originally Posted by Watchfuliz
The ignition switch on my Limited is now stuck in the locked position. I can use the key to unlock the switch by pushing in the tab on the underside and turning the key to the release position, but it will not pull out. It will only turn through all the positions as long as the key is in release mode. rews on the ignition switch to pull out the complete switch.

This happened to me when I was changing bars. The complete switch will pull out with the small key and turning a little beyond the lock position and pull it out. If you can get the complete switch out and nothing is oviously broken, flash light look down into it. I think there is 3 keys or slots down in the switch hole. You can find the right size flat head screwdriver and realign them. Put the switch back in and try it. At first it makes no sense but as you fiddle with it, you'll figer it out. Hope that may help a little, just sayin it can be done with out the dealer good luck.
Nope, not happening. I could not get the switch to come out no matter what. I have the alignment tool I made years ago and know how to align the key way up. Problem is it will not come out to allow me to check alignment. I finally took the whole switch housing off and carried it to the HD dealer. They could not get it to work either.......LOL. I have a new one coming now. 7-10 days they said. Wanted the bike in the shop before they would order it first, but manager overrode that. Said I would have to let them install the new one for warranty purposes. I told them I had no problem with that. I can still ride it like it is, I just can't lock the forks.

Last edited by Watchfuliz; 01-08-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:40 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I can tell you that the alignment tool you made may not be helping you at all. There is a NEW tool for 2014 and newer. I bought one from George's. The old one will not work on my 2014 Limited.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
I can tell you that the alignment tool you made may not be helping you at all. There is a NEW tool for 2014 and newer. I bought one from George's. The old one will not work on my 2014 Limited.
It might not help. But you have to get the head and stem removed first and that was my problem. It would not come out of the sleeve no matter what you did. Dealer tried to get it out to and it didn't happen. They ordered a new complete ignition for it.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:49 AM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the same problem, pulled up hard *** hell and it came off. its like the bottom key way is metal and very tight the 14/15 switches are diff for the alignment tool some.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by slothy
i had the same problem, pulled up hard *** hell and it came off. its like the bottom key way is metal and very tight the 14/15 switches are diff for the alignment tool some.
I made my alignment tool a few years back out of an 1/2" allen wrench. I wonder what is different between the old tool and the new tool?

Quick Reply: Ignition switch stuck in lock mode