Sponsored by:

14 flhtk front suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 06:38 PM
Toneyo1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 flhtk front suspension advice

Im want to have the front forks chromed. Im told that since the forks are going to be off, it would be best to change the suspension to progressive springs or hd's premium front. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions. Does the progressives give a better ride?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:46 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

I have a 2011. I have ridden a 2014. The front forks are so much better on the 14 that I wouldn't consider doing anything to them.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:47 PM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I had black powder coated forks put on in the fall. The only thing I did was change the oil to the CVO oil. It was a lower viscosity and it did make a difference. The fork change to black or chrome really sets the bike off.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:55 PM
Toneyo1
Novice

Thanks for the reply. I will take that into consideration. By the way, great looking bike! My buddy has same color here in ohio, gonna show him yours with the black powder coat. Blessings!

Old 01-25-2015, 07:17 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

I would go with Harley's premium front suspension at the same time you install chrome or black legs. That is what I plan on doing.

I installed progressive mono tubes on my last bike. Was not totally happy with progressive. Their are better systems than Harleys, they are just more $$$.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:46 PM
Toneyo1
Novice

Thanks scott for the help. Are you suggesting to go with the premium hd or some other brand.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:48 PM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the compliment. Where are in Ohio? I am in Michigan now but just moved from Akron. I am going to do the inner faring and then will enjoy riding it for a while.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:49 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bigrobtemp

I had black powder coated forks put on in the fall. The only thing I did was change the oil to the CVO oil. It was a lower viscosity and it did make a difference. The fork change to black or chrome really sets the bike off.
I really like what the black does for that color arrangement nice job!

Old 01-25-2015, 07:50 PM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought my '14 FLHTK in September 2013, about 10 days after getting home from the 110th in Milwaukee. I was able to log a quick 5k miles on an extended trip, and quickly decided that, for my taste, I needed a front end suspension upgrade. HD's Premium front end was another month or two from shipping to dealers. I then visited the Progressive and Ohlins vendors at Daytona Biketoberfest and learned they weren't going to have their suspension upgrades for the new HD touring bike fork until sometime into the first quarter of 2014.

Looking for alternatives, I found Traxxion Dynamics in Woodstock GA. They specialize in racing and sport bike suspensions, but also make suspension upgrades for Goldwings and Harley's. They used my fork to make the 2014 modifications required to their AK-20 front end cartridge suspension system and installed them on my bike. At the same time, they replaced the stock rear air shocks with Bitubo WME's with adjustable rebound dampening.

For me, the handling improvement was significant. I prefer a "taut" suspension, and my front end no longer "floats". The tracking in highway-speed sweepers is rock solid. I've been very happy with the change. But if you want the more traditional "softer" Harley touring suspension feel, TD may not be for you.

Since then, Ohlins and Progressive have updated their products for the new touring fork, so they are now options. But, as you do your research, check their website, traxxion.com, to see another alternative to the HD premium, Progessive, or Ohlins options.

Last edited by GaJayhawk; 02-10-2015 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-25-2015, 07:59 PM
BillNich
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bigrobtemp

That Black Front fork looks great!

I have the Limited Low..which comes from the factory with the Premium from suspension..but in a lowered version. I am very happy with the front end.

Quick Reply: 14 flhtk front suspension advice