2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Flow questions for Rushmores - do we need more for a stage one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:36 AM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Air Flow questions for Rushmores - do we need more for a stage one?

Moderators- Copied over from the Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection forums as this is really air cleaner related.

Ok starting another thread as the answers are merging…lol

2014 SGS - I already have a FP 3 and am running Rush Big Louie's without baffles. I have added The W series Thunder Torque Inserts to get back my low and mid-range torque.

The bike runs great but I can't seem to find a satisfactory fact based answer to if I will see any additional improvements by spending another ~$300 on a high flow AC.

The real question is: Does the stock AC provide enough flow for my set up or would the engine use more if it was available?

The options I am looking at are:

the K&N replacement filter for the stock and taking a hole saw and drilling some ~2 inch holes in the open spots of the stock back plate to mimic the Fuel Moto Stage One back plate. Will this provide additional air? It should for ~$60

2. Fuel Moto Stage one kit has a bigger air cleaner medium that allow more air if needed - ~$140.00 +shipping

3. Doing what Brykwil did and just remove the stock air cleaner and use a modified foam filter placed in front of the stock air cleaners mesh scoop- see here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...r-cleaner.html

An additional thought, the stock AC cover acts like a forced air scoop at speed. Does the Fuel moto back plate reduce the forced air effect by opening up the back plate? I realize dyno numbers may support the fact that any open air cleaner flows more air while the bike is stationary but a dyno run loses the forced air effect of scoop at driving speeds.

I understand that if I did a stage 4 I might need a high flow but since I have only added the mods to the pipes and the clean air mod will the engine use more air if it was available?

Last edited by jdunn01; 04-24-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

From what I have been able to find, and be aware that some of the data is dated, the Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 AC flow about 300 CFM as do most other Stage 1 ACs. The 2006 H-D stock AC flowed 171 CFM. From what I have heard the Rushmore stock AC is better that previous years at 210 CFM.

All that being said you probably won't see more than 100 CFM difference between the stock AC and most Stage 1 ACs.

The real question is: Can my bike as it sits today benefit from an additional 100 CFM? Based on what you have indicated I would doubt that you would see any noticeable improvement.

Last edited by J929626; 04-24-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:50 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I put the Fuel Moto Pro Billet air cleaner on mine a few weeks ago. The only difference I could tell was it was a lot noisier. After I bought it I found an article where the writers took a 14 Rushmore, don't remember which model, put on aftermarket exhaust and tuner. They dynoed the bike with the stock Rushmore and several different stage 1 air cleaners and found no gains over the stock Rushmore. If I had seen the article before buying my Fuel Moto air cleaner I wouldn't have bought it. Because the filter is taller the cover sticks out farther from the bike and with part of the back plate being open you hear a lot more intake noise. I'm not sure if the filter in the Fuel Moto has anymore surface area or not. It is taller but smaller in diameter. Bikes with a lot more than a stage 1 might see a benefit over the stock one.

If you look at dyno charts from different companies that sell the Stage 1 air cleaners they always post the dyno charts from pre Rushmore bikes, even on listings for air cleaners for a Rushmore. If there was a performance benefit to using them on a Rushmore, why don't they post Dyno charts comparing there air cleaner for the Rushmores against a stock Rushmore air cleaner and not just maximum CFM flow rates that don't mean a thing if it's more than the bike can use?

Last edited by Greg2012FLHTK; 04-24-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:13 PM
Roadglide33
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
I put the Fuel Moto Pro Billet air cleaner on mine a few weeks ago. The only difference I could tell was it was a lot noisier. After I bought it I found an article where the writers took a 14 Rushmore, don't remember which model, put on aftermarket exhaust and tuner. They dynoed the bike with the stock Rushmore and several different stage 1 air cleaners and found no gains over the stock Rushmore. If I had seen the article before buying my Fuel Moto air cleaner I wouldn't have bought it. Because the filter is taller the cover sticks out farther from the bike and with part of the back plate being open you hear a lot more intake noise. I'm not sure if the filter in the Fuel Moto has anymore surface area or not. It is taller but smaller in diameter. Bikes with a lot more than a stage 1 might see a benefit over the stock one.

If you look at dyno charts from different companies that sell the Stage 1 air cleaners they always post the dyno charts from pre Rushmore bikes, even on listings for air cleaners for a Rushmore. If there was a performance benefit to using them on a Rushmore, why don't they post Dyno charts comparing there air cleaner for the Rushmores against a stock Rushmore air cleaner and not just maximum CFM flow rates that don't mean a thing if it's more than the bike can use?
I put the Fuel Moto Billet air cleaner on my '14 Limited with tune from Dynojet... Seemed to run stronger; definitely a lot louder...

Old 04-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Roadglide33
I put the Fuel Moto Billet air cleaner on my '14 Limited with tune from Dynojet... Seemed to run stronger; definitely a lot louder... Ramming a whole lot more air into the intake...
Did you put the tuner on before you did the air cleaner so you could tell if the air cleaner really made a difference or did you do both at the same time? If you did them at the same time how do you know where the extra power came from? The Rushmore AC does have a ram air effect when moving, but having the holes in the back plate of the stage 1 AC lets any ram air preasure out instead of forcing it into the throttle body.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:26 PM
Roadglide33
Tourer

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
Did you put the tuner on before you did the air cleaner so you could tell if the air cleaner really made a difference or did you do both at the same time? If you did them at the same time how do you know where the extra power came from? The Rushmore AC does have a ram air effect when moving, but having the holes in the back plate of the stage 1 AC lets any ram air preasure out instead of forcing it into the throttle body.
I did both at the same time... Can't really say if Fuel Moto A/C is better than stock A/C... Maybe Jamie from Fuel Moto has some numbers...

Last edited by Roadglide33; 04-24-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:38 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Roadglide33
I did both at the same time... Can't really say if Fuel Moto A/C is better than stock A/C... Maybe Jamie from Fuel Moto has some numbers...
Thanks for being honest about it. I'd like to believe I didn't waste $163 with shipping on the Fuel Moto Pro Billet air cleaner. But I'm afraid I did. I definitly don't like the extra intake noise. I hear it over my CVO take off mufflers with the Fullsac CVO Power Cores.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:39 PM
mcouture
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Maybe I'm getting deaf. I just put the FM A/C on and did not notice the extra noise....nor the extra width.

Now I will probably never get these two things out of my head now! LOL

Old 04-24-2015, 05:59 PM
Roadglide33
Tourer

Originally Posted by mcouture
Maybe I'm getting deaf. I just put the FM A/C on and did not notice the extra noise....nor the extra width.

Now I will probably never get these two things out of my head now! LOL
Did you install the Fuel Moto Pro Billet on a Rushmore bike? Spacers move it out and much louder for sure...

Does it look like this?

Last edited by Roadglide33; 04-24-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Roadglide33
Tourer

This is something we tested extensively, the FM AC draws air from the vent in the Rushmore cover as well as thru the backing plate. Air coming in from behind the AC is no different than other designs such as the SE, Ness, or our other Pro Billet AC's where the backing plate is completely open. We have tons of log data from our 2014 & 2015 test bikes including intake air temp and other dynamics, the design works very well is is very effective. This is quote from Fuel Moto...

Quick Reply: Air Flow questions for Rushmores - do we need more for a stage one?