Sponsored by:

Rain Gear questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 11:06 AM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Rain Gear questions.

Ok i have ridden in the rain several times (over 500 mile one day) but never had rain gear. always just sucked it up.

I had an occasion this weekend to purchase some rain gear and since were at Gander Mountain for some other camping related gear. I purchased a Gander Mount Guide Series Men's TecH2O Leader Fishing Parka. Here is a description form there site.
"Full-coverage, zip-off hood with drawcord adjustment provides a custom, comfortable fit. Waterproof full-front zipper with interior wind flap, sleeve cuff tab adjustments, interior neoprene cuffs, and drawcord-adjustable hem help seal out moisture and the cold. Two large bellowed chest pockets, an interior chest pocket, and two hand pockets, all with waterproof zipper closures"

This thing was awesome for walking around in the rain all weekend. Never leaked.

Having never ridden in rain gear i have a couple of questions.

1. Do you put the hood on underneath your helmet? I have a
Scorpion EXO-C110 Helmet.
2. Will this jacket work for the motorcycle. Should be better than nothing :-)

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Last edited by jdunn01; 05-28-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use HD Hivis rain gear. Works great.

Does your coat have a double flap over the zipper?

Not saying what you bought was cheap but I've seen guys buy fishing rain gear and get on a bike and have it shred right off of them at Hiway speeds.

It might work but for my money I'll buy what I KNOW will work.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:12 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since i do not wear a helmet the hood goes straight to my head, but if i had a helmet on the hood would go over the helmet. from the decription it sounds like it would work well.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:29 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

I had a set of frog tog's at first, then melted the pant leg and shredded the left leg riding with them. Yes they worked for a few rides in heavy rain for the most part, but here is where it got bad using them. Riding up 75 thru toledo, OH. a semi came up on me fast and didn't see me until the last second and swerved over and slammed the back of a bread truck. Parts flew everywhere but he missed me thankfully. I was getting on the highway from the entrance ramp and getting up to speed at the time, (heading to 70 or so mph) My pants/shorts got changed and so did my rain gear. I got reflective harley gear now that folds up better and stores better in the saddle bag and Im more visible in the rain. Safety first and foremost.

Batman

Old 05-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardless you are going to get wet, the trick is to try and get as little wet as possible.

I also wear the high visibility suit from Harley, sometimes you can get them on sale or order online from a discount place. I have one set that I got in 05' it still gets used.

If you can try it on first, you want it a tad bit snug, if not while riding it could balloon out and flap, that sucks.

If you can get the hood on under your helmet do it, make sure it isn't so tight you can't move head.

If you can't wear your hood, wrap up a small towel and tuck it around your jacket, it we help prevent rain from dripping down your back.

Have a change if clothes and dry socks.

Find something for your windshield and visor to bead the water. Not RainX, it isn't made for plastic supposedly.

It sucks but its doable.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:05 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought J&P Cycles rain gear.

Then I bought Frog Toggs rain gear.

Last year on vacation I bought HD rain gear during a downpour and finally stayed dry.

I should have bought the HD rain gear from the start, I would have saved myself a lot of soggy rides and cash.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:51 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also use the hd rain gear, however i still get a little wet. i ride in the rain often so its bound to happen. if its just a quick passing shower i dont even put the gear on. if the roads are wet but the rain stopped i usually just put my gators on (covers the shoes and up to the top of the calf...

Old 05-28-2015, 01:01 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 615 Posts

TourMaster Defender 2 piece, Hood goes under helmet. All zippers are covered. Bought separate boot covers to go over pants. Whole suit with boot covers was $120.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:27 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jdunn01
Ok i have ridden in the rain several times (over 500 mile one day) but never had rain gear. always just sucked it up.

I had an occasion this weekend to purchase some rain gear and since were at Gander Mountain for some other camping related gear. I purchased a Gander Mount Guide Series Men's TecH2O Leader Fishing Parka. Here is a description form there site.
"Full-coverage, zip-off hood with drawcord adjustment provides a custom, comfortable fit. Waterproof full-front zipper with interior wind flap, sleeve cuff tab adjustments, interior neoprene cuffs, and drawcord-adjustable hem help seal out moisture and the cold. Two large bellowed chest pockets, an interior chest pocket, and two hand pockets, all with waterproof zipper closures"

This thing was awesome for walking around in the rain all weekend. Never leaked.

Having never ridden in rain gear i have a couple of questions.

1. Do you put the hood on underneath your helmet? I have a Scorpion EXO-C110 Helmet.
2. Will this jacket work for the motorcycle. Should be better than nothing :-)

Thanks in advance,
Jim
I just bought the Harley High Visibility Rain Suit and love it. Having had several jacket/pant sets over the years, I can say this is my favorite.

My hood stays packed in the neck pouch. My collar is snug enough to keep me 95% dry when zipped all the way up.

Your jacket should work fine. Like someone else mentioned, I've melted more than one set of pants on my pipes. That stuff is way worse than boot smears to get off. The Harley suits have fabric in all the right areas to avoid this problem. Well designed and highly visible.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,308 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewoman
I bought J&P Cycles rain gear.

I should have bought the HD rain gear from the start, I would have saved myself a lot of soggy rides and cash.

My wife and I carry Harley rain gear on our bikes on every ride, it never leaves the saddle bags. We stay dry riding in the rain and will use it when it gets cold to block the wind. I'll link a couple eBay auctions so you can see what we wear. They are pricy but built to last. The pants have built in heat shields so you won't burn or melt You can find used sets on Craigslist for a good price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...98a292&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...e6f828&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Rain Gear questions.