Cam install checklist

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:22 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cam install checklist

'15 Limited Low, Andrews 56H cams.

Got cams, FM adjustable pushrods, S&S lifters, James gasket kit, Torrington bearings, bearing puller/installer tool, cam sprocket locking tool, bolt cutters, assembly lube, motor oil, shiny new map from Dyno Jet and the factory service manual. Of course, all the standard hand tools, torque wrench, etc.

And 4 days off. What else do I need?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:38 PM
Wghussey
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Four hours, beer and some shop rags!

Old 06-30-2015, 08:36 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerscum
'15 Limited Low, Andrews 56H cams.

Got cams, FM adjustable pushrods, S&S lifters, James gasket kit, Torrington bearings, bearing puller/installer tool, cam sprocket locking tool, bolt cutters, assembly lube, motor oil, shiny new map from Dyno Jet and the factory service manual. Of course, all the standard hand tools, torque wrench, etc.

And 4 days off. What else do I need?
ORings for the oil pump suction, I think my 14 was brown don't know if there's a diferance duro for the black?

The SE adjustables came with the push tube covers that allow easy adjustment, they were long on the bottom? Used paper clips and rubber bands to hold the tube cover up when adjusting them. YouTube (S&S Cam install), very good info.

Locktit, pump the lifters up, check for bent push rod, had a new one that was bent out of the package.
Have fun I love that stuff

Last edited by Gwaxley; 06-30-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:49 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master

The James gasket kit has all of the o rings. Speaking of gasket kits, none of the people that sell adjustable pushrods that save you from removing the rocker box covers, sell gasket kits without rocker box cover gaskets

FM says their pushrods can use the stock tubes so I'm hopefully good there.

Locktite, yep both flavors.

Thanks all for the tips.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:18 AM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Does the James gasket kit include the exhaust header gaskets? Also, depending on how many times you have pulled your slip-ons off, you may want to replace the clamps.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:05 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

I've used and do recommend the James gasket kits.
That said, I would honestly go get the 9 dollar HD OEM cam cover gasket because it's a better part and you can reuse it a few times in case you have to go back in a couple times to check stuff.

The James cam cover gasket is kinda weak and once you use it, it will sometimes just fall apart in your hands when you go to take it off.

Have plenty of gallon plastic freezer bags or whatever handy. The kind you can write on with a sharpie.
Helps to keep stuff organized. Especially if you were going through the top (which you aren't) but anyway...

Old 07-01-2015, 11:13 AM
Bikerscum
Road Master

The James kit has the exhaust gaskets. I'm not sure I'll need them. I saw a video on You Tube of a cam replacement with Power Duals like mine, they only had to remove the heat shields. (fingers crossed).

Getting those pipes on in the first place was a bitch.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:29 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerscum
The James kit has the exhaust gaskets. I'm not sure I'll need them. I saw a video on You Tube of a cam replacement with Power Duals like mine, they only had to remove the heat shields. (fingers crossed).

Getting those pipes on in the first place was a bitch.
I did not remove the excaust ether, the slimlines had not been on very long. I just disconnected from the heads and the left muffler and let them swing out of the way, used same gaskets.

After the cam plate is on, before the cam gears you can see all the alignment marks TDC #1. With The tire is off the floor about an inch and in high gear, I made a mark on the tire and floor to adjust the valves for #2 cal and rolled the tire until the cam gear dotes are 180degrees and made another mark on the tire to adjust #1 valves.

After you put the cam gears on you can't really see the dotes well and the marks on the tire helped me fell better when adjusting the push rods.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:11 PM
Tripleshot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure your torque wrench is inch pounds. Foot pounds will mess you up.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master

More great tips, thanks!

Quick Reply: Cam install checklist