Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Nav System is a joke

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:44 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

This probably won't help anyone here... but I am having no issues with the Nav system, and I've used up to I think 16 or more waypoints across states. It always gets me where I want to go without issues, has not told me to make a right when pointing left, or make a turn on a road that doesn't exist... and I've been on all types of roads. Not sure what is happening with all of these issues others are having... but just wanted to indicate that there is at least one system out there that is working as expected, and I've always used Garmins in the past, both in car and on previous bikes so I'm not new to GPS's. It does take some learning and getting used to, but it does work great.

BTW, I use Basecamp for planning and exporting my routes/trips, and I only import the gpx file, not the individual waypoints or "All", and it has always worked flawlessly for me. I can stop for a scheduled or non-scheduled gas stop, and when I turn the bike back on, it will pick up where it left off.

Now, if only they can "fix" or add the capability to do bluetooth between the radio and my Scala headset, the world would all be right :-)

Last edited by caberto; 07-07-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:21 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002flstc
Thanks for backing me up there. like you said just trying to get my head around the concept of using a GPS...
It seems like you're soft selling your point vs the original statement. None the less, neither input merits a bashing. If you don't want to use a gps, so what? I guess one might say it doesn't help solve the problem being discussed. But, it makes for another point of view. Three camps so far.

Infotainment doesn't work!

Infotainment works just fine!

Who the heck needs Infotainment??

Lol.

To answer the why gps thing. From my perspective it has nothing to do with speed. I like plotting a course and following it without the distraction of sticky notes on the fairing or a map on a tank bag. Both are hard to see on the fly. Also, I hate to make the frequent map-check stops, let alone the back tracking when you miss a turn.

You could argue that wandering in the general direction is what your after as well. That's fine. But for me, I would hate to wonder past 100 miles of nothing except speeding lumber trucks vs winding my way through a canyon 20 miles to the north. With gps, you can research a route, plot waypoints, and follow what someone else has vetted.

Can you do that with maps? Absolutely. But it's more work and I will submit, not as safe and reliable. Ironic considering the discussion I know. But I haven't had the problems many here have had. I guess part of it is I don't rely entirely on the gps. I learned long ago that even the best gps can make mistakes. I always review the chosen route on a map so that I have a general idea as to where I want to go. If the gps screws up, I usually catch it.

Last edited by nevada72; 07-07-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:21 PM
tdkkart
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in Iowa.
I traded bikes in Texas.
Of course when I asked the dealership goobers how to get the maps from the Ride Planner website to the GPS they looked at me like I was drunk.
By the time we got home I had it working pretty well.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:55 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
It seems like you're soft selling your point vs the original statement. None the less, neither input merits a bashing. If you don't want to use a gps, so what? I guess one might say it doesn't help solve the problem being discussed. But, it makes for another point of view. Three camps so far.

Infotainment doesn't work!

Infotainment works just fine!

Who the heck needs Infotainment??

Lol.

To answer the why gps thing. From my perspective it has nothing to do with speed. I like plotting a course and following it without the distraction of sticky notes on the fairing or a map on a tank bag. Both are hard to see on the fly. Also, I hate to make the frequent map-check stops, let alone the back tracking when you miss a turn.

You could argue that wandering in the general direction is what your after as well. That's fine. But for me, I would hate to wonder past 100 miles of nothing except speeding lumber trucks vs winding my way through a canyon 20 miles to the north. With gps, you can research a route, plot waypoints, and follow what someone else has vetted.

Can you do that with maps? Absolutely. But it's more work and I will submit, not as safe and reliable. Ironic considering the discussion I know. But I haven't had the problems many here have had. I guess part of it is I don't rely entirely on the gps. I learned long ago that even the best gps can make mistakes. I always review the chosen route on a map so that I have a general idea as to where I want to go. If the gps screws up, I usually catch it.
That's what I've been trying to get across to the people that say maps and cell phones are better then GPS units. At least you understood my points.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSledhead
the nav system on the bike then selects the route between the way-points (based on your preferences). So there is no way to ensure it uses the same route you see on the computer screen.
That is really my only issue (that and wanting to route you backwards if you start past your first way-point).
I was on a main highway between way-points and it wanted to take me off it and take side local roads and get back on the same highway in the next town. I realize it may have been quicker or faster, but not easier. Unfortunately under preferences there is no "Easy" selection. That's where it helps to know the main roads your traveling. If you just stay on your course, it will eventually recalculate you to that waypoint on the road you are on. Either way, I've had many compliments on rides I've led just doing a A to B destination. It does recognize twisty and scenic nicely.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:09 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
I think you're a little over the top here, I don't think he was being "anti GPS", just taking the position that for many years we did without anything other then maps and for some maps still do the job. And as for him asking why he would need a GPS, I think it's just the way he phrased the question...I did the same thing yesterday looking at bike trailers, I asked the salesman why I should choose his trailer over any of his competitors, just wanted him to explain why his trailer was better then anyone else's. Maybe I'm wrong but that's the way I took his post.
Well he sure isn't pro GPS. So anti fits a little better.

The difference is he asked why "ANYONE" would want a GPS. You were asking what the difference is between one particular brand and not condemning all trailers.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:34 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2002flstc
Are you implying I'm thick headed when you say "but it probably won't sink in". Sad way to start a reply....

I see one difference between you and I... the need for speed, you just gotta get there fast.... Me, I'll take the road less traveled just for the sake of being able to say "been there"

No, a map can't give me the weather conditions, traffic conditions, the nearest gas station or nearest hospital BUT my iPhone can when I need to find that information. Was not aware about the ability to watch weather on a GPS, thanks for that tid bit of information.

Not anti GPS, just can't see the need for one.

Hopefully someday you'll be able to have more than one week at a time to ride... until then work hard and make lots of money...
The reason I said that is because you said you can't fathom why anyone would want a GPS unit. I don't believe you can't think of one reason. There are millions of people that want (and maybe need) a GPS unit - my wife is one.
So I gave you a few.

Just because I like a GPS doesn't mean I speed - as a matter of fact I only travel 5mph over the speed limit ( that way I can relax and not have to constantly worry about cops) - I just don't want to take a wrong turn and needlessly loose minutes or even hours from my trip. I'm not speeding, just preventing loosing any time.

You're welcome, now you know you can watch the weather and traffic conditions on a GPS - the same as a smart phone, but you don't have to stop and pull it out every time you want to check....and you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars per month to do it. All I have to do is push a button or two to find the nearest venue(hospital, gas, lunch, police etc).

I am working hard and making lots of money....so one day I can jump on the bike and just go and take all the time in the world to get there. Something to look forward to. I'll still keep the GPS for gas and food, since I don't have a smart phone and never will. I'm not anti cell phone - I just can't see a need for one. Sound familiar?

Old 07-07-2015, 03:48 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by caberto
This probably won't help anyone here... but I am having no issues with the Nav system, and I've used up to I think 16 or more waypoints across states. It always gets me where I want to go without issues, has not told me to make a right when pointing left, or make a turn on a road that doesn't exist... and I've been on all types of roads. Not sure what is happening with all of these issues others are having... but just wanted to indicate that there is at least one system out there that is working as expected, and I've always used Garmins in the past, both in car and on previous bikes so I'm not new to GPS's. It does take some learning and getting used to, but it does work great.

BTW, I use Basecamp for planning and exporting my routes/trips, and I only import the gpx file, not the individual waypoints or "All", and it has always worked flawlessly for me. I can stop for a scheduled or non-scheduled gas stop, and when I turn the bike back on, it will pick up where it left off.

Now, if only they can "fix" or add the capability to do bluetooth between the radio and my Scala headset, the world would all be right :-)
Boy are you lucky!! Mine constantly tells me to turn in one direction while pointing in the opposite direction. It even tells me I have arrived at my destination when I'm not even close. Also it can't find certain addresses, but my Garmin can.

I don't doubt it works great for some riders, but for what I want a GPS to do, it doesn't come close to what the Zumo does.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

One of the biggest issues I've seen about turning etc was the operator did not set up the direction in the setup section properly. It can be set up to show north always etc, make sure you have it set properly. From what I've seen many but not all the problems folks are having is either a failure to understand the system possibly combined with a failure to try to learn the system. Put me in the catagory of it works just fine.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Impala_ss
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Rented a Ultra a few times. It works pretty good but has a definite learning curve. Not quite as easy as my Dodge or my newer Garmin but it is better than my wife's Ford Sync in her 2014. I think better than a major manufacture such as Ford is not bad for the first go at it.

Quick Reply: HD Nav System is a joke