Sponsored by:

HD Nav System is a joke

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 12:55 PM
mcouture
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tdkkart
Why would one chose to enter the address into the phone when they really wanted it in the GPS??

For me, I entered every place I wanted to visit on my trip. All the hotels, and interesting things I looked up while planning my trip. So as I'm venturing out on my trip and want to go visit a particular place, say national park or whatever, I can go to the NAV, select address to route, and pick "from connected phone" and viola, there are the list of places I want to visit. It's a single place for one to look. Very convenient...too bad it doesn't work...

Old 08-18-2015, 01:21 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart van der Meulen
Nav systems are completely individual judged. As remarked here already, take 20 guys and ask their opinion about a particular navsystem and you will get 20 different opinions. I had personally Garmin, TomTom, Ford Nav System, Toyota nav system (in cars integrated) and a Harley system on my Limited 2015.
Non of them is without faults and mistakes, wrong indications or even completely misguiding you. Garmin, nor TomTom on my bikes gives always the right direction to ride, forget sometimes rivers and bridges or ignore completely existing roads. No problem, you learn to live with it. Or you hire a WW 2 bomber navigator next to you, including sextant, ruler and map.. The Harley system takes some time to learn how to deal with it and when you are used to it, it is certainly not the worst satnav, on the contrary.
Maybe not but I feel, and this is my opinion, that it's not intuitive and certainly for the amount of money one has to pay for this system it is either way overpriced or way underperforming.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:22 PM
Wayne Carlton
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcouture
For me, I entered every place I wanted to visit on my trip. All the hotels, and interesting things I looked up while planning my trip. So as I'm venturing out on my trip and want to go visit a particular place, say national park or whatever, I can go to the NAV, select address to route, and pick "from connected phone" and viola, there are the list of places I want to visit. It's a single place for one to look. Very convenient...too bad it doesn't work...
What phone do you have. last time I tried to pull an addy from my phone it was not in the right format for the bike to read

Old 08-18-2015, 02:00 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

But why, when there is an overwhelmingly perfectly accepted form out there, would you try to change it without some VERY good reasons??
Accepted by who?

The Moco researched this pretty thoroughly you can be sure. The Infotainment system isn't targeted at Garmin users. It's targeted non-Garmin users in fact. Why? It's the same type of system that many of us are used to using in our cars. As such, it is readily embraced by the target demographic.

GPS use is hardly universal among motorcycle riders. I would venture to say that Garmin users are in a small minority vs non gps users. So, to add a built in gps system is a big step for any manufacturer. So when they do something like that, rest assured, they did their homework and built a system based on the target demographic. That has to be obvious because as you said, there's already a great system out there. Why not use it? Because believe it or not, while you and I will agree that the Garmin based system is superior, the average user will prefer the Infotainment way of gps. And if the Moco had made the Infotainment system equal in function to say a 665, HDForums would have to start a whole new section here dedicated to the confused masses trying to figure out BaseCamp.

Just an opinion

Old 08-18-2015, 02:56 PM
mcouture
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Carlton
What phone do you have. last time I tried to pull an addy from my phone it was not in the right format for the bike to read
iPhone 6, I've tried with mine which is at IOS 9 Beta and another iPhone 6 which is at IOS 8.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:48 PM
tdkkart
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
confused masses trying to figure out BaseCamp.
Now that's funny..........I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would make that statement out of the blue........

Old 08-18-2015, 10:41 PM
nevada72
Banned

Now that's funny..........I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would make that statement out of the blue........

Really? I know a lot of people that have an issue with Basecamp. I think it's pertinent to the discussion and hardly out of the blue as it's part and parcel of the system that you so revere. Basecamp has a learning curve that has frustrated many a veteran gps user. There are websites dedicated to that very topic in fact.

Fwiw, I'm not trying to debate with you, nor am I trying to be facetious. My opinions are based on my own experiences as well as interactions with many who ride and use Garmin GPS. Despite your reverence for that system, it is hardly without flaw. I was reminded today of that as I tried to navigate using voice command on my latest greatest Garmin gps in my truck. The voice command flaws reminded me of an SNL skit where the voice recognition is laughably flawed yielding frustrating and absurd results. None of which include reaching one's destination. I ended up using Google nav on my phone.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:57 PM
tdkkart
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Really? I know a lot of people that have an issue with Basecamp. I think it's pertinent to the discussion and hardly out of the blue as it's part and parcel of the system that you so revere. Basecamp has a learning curve that has frustrated many a veteran gps user. There are websites dedicated to that very topic in fact.

Guess you missed my jest on the BaseCrap comment..........
IMO it's the world's most gigantic F-up in mapping software, and I've pretty plainly expressed that sentiment to anyone I've been able to get hold of at Garmin.

Other than BaseCrap, I've had very good experiences with Garmin(standard automotiove units) and Ride Planner. I used Google maps for awhile but since that's essentially gone away I've used Ride Planner to get myself on several trips back and forth across the country.
I've got the Nav system figured out to the point where I might leave home without a backup. I took a crash course in making it work when I bought a bike in Texas and learned the NAV on the way back to Iowa.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:57 PM
nevada72
Banned

Yep - went right over my head.

I'm a Luddite and have held fast to my ancient Mapsource software. It's never let me down. Although now some of my routes make it seem as I have a habit of riding through farm fields.