Sponsored by:

Swapped primary chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 12:49 PM
frankegd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Swapped primary chain tensioner

I decided to change the primary chain tensioner from stock HD to the Hayden M6-BT07 Primary Chain Tensioner.
The Hayden one was designed with springs, and will adjust according to the tension needed. Not like the stock one, which only works one way.
Procedure was fairly simple. Drain fluid, take derby cover and primary cover off. Take 2 bolts off the tensioner, and slide it out. Clean the whole area. BTW, after about 15k mls, the inside of the primary cover was covered with some light greyish oil, almost looked like aluminum powder. I don't recall seeing it before. Remnants from the clutch discs?
Easy to wipe of by hand, and degreaser made it even easier.

The Hayden chain tensioner is simply put together by inserting the springs into the shoe, and slide that on to the mount. As a tip, compress it and zip tie it together, makes it much easier to install. Just don't tighten the bolts all the way before cutting the zip tie...
After torqueing the bolts down, installed the new James Gasket - highly recommended, filling with oil, and replacing the Torx derby cover screws
with SS hex screws, time to start the engine.
It sounds a little quieter while idling, neutral is a bit easier to find. That whole mechanical clunk while shifting is slightly quieter.
Ease of mind put to rest, for now...
Thank you
FrankEGD

Attached Thumbnails Swapped primary chain tensioner-1.jpg   Swapped primary chain tensioner-2.jpg   Swapped primary chain tensioner-3.jpg   Swapped primary chain tensioner-4.jpg   Swapped primary chain tensioner-5.jpg  

Old 08-03-2015, 02:25 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

The OEM tensioner looked pretty good after 15,000 and it seems to have better coverage for the chain (supported 5 links as opposed to 4). I'd be curious to see how it holds up.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:01 PM
frankegd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
The OEM tensioner looked pretty good after 15,000 and it seems to have better coverage for the chain (supported 5 links as opposed to 4). I'd be curious to see how it holds up.
Yeah, I think the wear pattern is ok. But the original tensioner will only work one way, increase tension on the chain. Due to heat the chain stretches, the tensioner might adjust a notch. If the chain cools down, the tension stays the same. As soon as the chain heats up again, all might be good...
Now will the Hayden tension make a big difference? In my mind it will.

Thank you
FrankEGD

Old 08-03-2015, 06:01 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Makes sense to me. It will probably will help though. One additional thought, most chains as they loosen, do so from chain wear ... not from heat. I don't really think your primary gets so hot as to cause that much heat expansion in the chain. The chains will "stretch over time (it's not actually stretching. The pins that join the links together wear and turn into a "D" shape extending the pitch of the chain). The "stretch" is actually the pins and bushings starting to wear which causes them to have a longer chain effect. So, have the tensioner retracting is really mute. But it certainly can't hurt either.

You're right about the slight grayish oil. Mostly from the clutch basket (friction disks and steel plates). They certainly make a mess of things. I change my primary fluid every oil change to help keep out all the crap. I know it's over kill but it's only another 38 oz of oil. That's more peace of mind too

Old 08-03-2015, 06:05 PM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 335 Likes on 222 Posts

Nice right up with pics, Thanks.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:39 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

So much noise coming from down there I'm thinking of doing the same thing, gonna go with the Hayden if I do. Nice thing about the Hayden is you don't have to pull the compensator to install. Thanks for the write up and pics, please keep us informed as to like and dislikes of the Hayden unit and especially if it quiets things down.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:58 PM
dc3plt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the Baker Attitude Adjuster for consideration as well? Did you consider this one as well and decide against it for some reason?

I only ask because there's very good feedback on here about the Baker and I'm personally on the fence between it and the Hayden.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:03 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

You guys better do a Search next time before you buy. Lots of bad news on the Hayden on 07 and newer Harleys. I have a Thread on here with pics that will make you sick you got one. Best of luck to you guys.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:46 AM
frankegd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
You guys better do a Search next time before you buy. Lots of bad news on the Hayden on 07 and newer Harleys. I have a Thread on here with pics that will make you sick you got one. Best of luck to you guys.
Please share...

Thank you
FrankEGD

Old 08-04-2015, 07:55 AM
frankegd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dc3plt
What about the Baker Attitude Adjuster for consideration as well? Did you consider this one as well and decide against it for some reason?

I only ask because there's very good feedback on here about the Baker and I'm personally on the fence between it and the Hayden.

I looked at that one, too. But that is a complete manual setup. I don't think the tension has to be adjusted that often, but with the Baker, the primary cover HAS to come off just to check it. It might be just me, but the design looks ok, it's just a step backwards.
It also doesn't matter to me, but the install requires the compensator and/or clutch basket to come of.

Thank you
FrankEGD

Quick Reply: Swapped primary chain tensioner