Sponsored by:

Warning on modifications re: Factory Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 03:17 PM
codpilot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Warning on modifications re: Factory Warranty

I've been having serious engine running issues for months (7 total weeks in the shop), and while in talks with the Harley Customer service, they just now flatly stated that since I stage 1'd my bike (pipes, screaming eagle tuner, etc) that I have voided the warranty. And voided the extended warranty.

That's the "official position", they even read me the back of the owners manual.

So long story short if you mod your bike and have trouble expect the party line of "it's your fault" from the factory.

I vaguely recall there was a federal act that prohibited this? sigh.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:20 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

What the engine issues you're having?

Old 08-21-2015, 03:24 PM
BornTexan
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by codpilot
I've been having serious engine running issues for months (7 total weeks in the shop), and while in talks with the Harley Customer service, they just now flatly stated that since I stage 1'd my bike (pipes, screaming eagle tuner, etc) that I have voided the warranty. And voided the extended warranty.

That's the "official position", they even read me the back of the owners manual.

So long story short if you mod your bike and have trouble expect the party line of "it's your fault" from the factory.

You're talking about 'The Magnuson-Moss' Act. Having dealt with Harley for too many years they can or will try to void your warranty for anything, even if you put new mirrors on your bike.

8~\o

Old 08-21-2015, 03:35 PM
02BlueDeuce
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by codpilot

Is your stage 1 all Harley parts, exhaust, AC and tuner( Ok see that its the SE Tuner)? I've been told that as long as it's all Harley stuff it wont void warranty, even though aftermarket stuff shouldn't void it either. Hell you can do a Harley Screamin Eagle Stage 4 kit and it says right in the description " This Street Performance Kit provides the maximum horsepower output for a legal 103 kit that will maintain the factory warranty". Although they do have a little disclaimer that states " When installed by an authorized H-D Dealer at the time of vehicle delivery, these kits do not impact the vehicle's limited warranty. So they can try to screw with you if anything is added EVEN by the dealer after original delivery which is Bullsh*t!!!!

Last edited by 02BlueDeuce; 08-21-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: editing
Old 08-21-2015, 03:41 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of SE stuff says right on the box that it may void the factory warranty.

Doesn't surprise me at all they would deny coverage.

I am curious as to what the problem with the bike is tho.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:10 PM
codpilot
Cruiser
Angry

Engine problems:

Stuttering at 3k rpm like the engine was stalling out (two weeks shop then "fixed" with new temp sensor and map (maf?)

Idle dropping off and stalling (2 weeks shop, fixed replaced induction module)

Ride out on business/vacation to Dallas, problems start 6+ hours into the trip with engine "bumps". Took two days of increasing bumps surges and more problems then followed by horrible riding with surges, stalls backfires etc (think bucking horse) for a long Sunday (dealers all closed) Dealer in Dalls troubleshoots it then they find a loose ECM connector, no replacement part around. So now it's "fixed" by telling me I needed a new ECM connector, but keep pushing it back together if you have problems (yep about every two hours). Finally got that done in Tennessee that was a week in the shop)

Same problems reoccur except all at once, stalls, runs rough, surges (sucked in the rain) all the way back to Miami from Tennessee.

Now after two more weeks they say it's fixed by an engine crank position sensor, oh and the Dallas dealer tried a new one of those, it did nothing then but now of course it should be fine..

Oh and they agreed that the gauges all runny sucked - so factory replaced those, got a refurbed infotainment POS put in to hopefully fix all the issues with that too. Oh and the factory kept the XM unit in the radio - but that should be shipped to the dealer here soon. :/

And yeah that's the act. Curiously enough though the dealer has to prove (after reading about it) that the after market parts actually caused the issue. Fat chance of that happening.

So on the worst possible weekend I get to pick up the bike and try and ride it hard to see if problems happen again. Either way I hate this bike, and Harley has not endeared me to their support, especially after the call today, that I once again had to make. Seriously Harley - phone calls go both ways!

Old 08-21-2015, 04:12 PM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Unless they can prove the modifications caused the damage they can't deny the warranty. The problem is proving that they are wrong, and that usually takes hiring attorneys and expert witnesses. Depending on the cost of repairs it may be best to live and learn.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:18 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

It's got nothing to do with the fact that they are, or aren't, HD parts. The single determining factor is that the changing/addition of parts was directly attributable to the problem/condition that the scooter is exhibiting. That's it in a nutshell. The Magnuson-Moss' Act does come into play and the purpose of that "legislation" was to eliminate "shady tactic's" by manufactures and representatives who provide coverage by stipulating parameters other than those outlined by the manufacturer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

Old 08-21-2015, 04:24 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,555 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Agree with Larry on this. If they replace the ECM and or tuner and or (did you say they adjusted the 'map'? So there is a tuner?) Once you're past this episode if you should happen to fry a crank bearing (which has nothing to do with a tune,) your warranty should support that repair.

I suspect that you may have to pay an attorney to make a phone call for you on this.

The following users liked this post:
SIDECAR BOB (05-04-2016)
Old 08-21-2015, 04:38 PM
codpilot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
It's got nothing to do with the fact that they are, or aren't, HD parts. The single determining factor is that the changing/addition of parts was directly attributable to the problem/condition that the scooter is exhibiting. That's it in a nutshell. The Magnuson-Moss' Act does come into play and the purpose of that "legislation" was to eliminate "shady tactic's" by manufactures and representatives who provide coverage by stipulating parameters other than those outlined by the manufacturer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
Catch is they have to prove that was the problem. Aka return the bike to stock and show the problems vanish.

Quick Reply: Warning on modifications re: Factory Warranty