Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now that I have some miles on my ride, I need some suggestions for fixes

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:26 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Now that I have some miles on my ride, I need some suggestions for fixes

Seat: actual seating placement of the stock seat is good for me, but I would like to find a seat that slopes back instead of forward so my junk doesn't get crushed. I could move back an inch too, might make foot position better, but I use a riders back rest, so not sure that's an option.

Floorboard/controls: may be able to be fixed with a seat, but the position needs to Bo moved forward by an inch or two. Not sur if there is a kit that extends both floorboard and brake and shifter 1-2"

Cat: wow that thing is hot. Wondering if the above foot placement will help, or if I have to spend the big bucks to change out the head pipes.

Bars: I have to say I like the wrist angle in the stock position, but the bars just need to be 4" or so higher. I tried rolling the bars up, but it puts my wrists at a weird angle. Anyone find a set of bars that will do this? Wondering if a set of dog bone risers will do the trick, but worried that it would block my view of the speedo and tach, and look funny.

Clutch switch: this thing is so irritating, it works sometimes, and other times I have to put it in neutral to start it. Every time I take it to the dealer it works, and they tell me it has to be broken when they look at it to fix it. -how do I go about contacting the MOCO to get an approval to replace it even if it's working when the dealer looks at it?

Other that that, I'm stull fighting the fight of what windshield will give me the coverage I need, I hate the whole trial and error thing, it gets expensive, LOL.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 10-09-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:38 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

Just my opinions
Bars- I don't think dog bones would work. If you like the wrist angle maybe the HD pullbacks for touring models or the new (2016) RG bars.

Seat- I assuming ( yeah I know) you ride two up, maybe a flatter seat, like a hammock or tall boy seat. It might give you more foot room as a bonus. Dealer should have some demo seats to try out.

Exhaust- all of them are hot. I'm m going with a FullSac header pipe that elimates the Cat. You could also cut the cat out of your stock exhaust, lots of threads on that subject...

Good luck on windshields...again your dealer may have some demos to try out...

Old 10-09-2015, 07:02 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Other than the clutch switch and the hot exhaust all of your suggestions are subjective and different for everyone. There is no possible way the Moco could make a bike comfortable for all. Everyone needs to modify those options in some way. Hell I changed all those things you've mentioned.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:21 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

What's a clutch switch?

Old 10-09-2015, 07:23 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,744 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Same thing with the switch happened to a friend of mine with his trigger switch thing.
While sitting at the dealer it started working again right when the service guy is checking it.
Service guy turned his back for about one millisecond and my friend slammed the switch hard with a ninja quick karate chop.
Guy turns back around and tries the switch again and oh my, it's now broke...that's odd?

We laughed and laughed and laughed.

Service guy was like, what's so funny?

Old 10-09-2015, 07:23 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

I've seen posts where a shot of WD40 will cure the clutch switch problem.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:10 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 577 Likes on 417 Posts

Windshield solution is Freedom Shields. You can try & return as long as you leave the protective film on the product while trying it. Bonus is a high quality product that's much better than factory.

http://freedomshields.net/

Old 10-09-2015, 09:55 AM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
What's a clutch switch?
Commonly referred to as a "Neutral Safety Switch" (keeps the vehicle from being started while it is in gear).

Old 10-09-2015, 11:13 AM
BillJ
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Electra Glide Ultra Limited Low and installed a set of Vance & Hines Monster Rounds, Ness Big Sucker air cleaner and a Vance & Hines FP3 and I don't feel a lot of heat from the cat on my bike and I live in hot Southwest Florida. I think if you get some air moving through the engine and a good tune to richen up the mixture the heat goes way down.

At some point I do want to install a set of Vance & Hines power duels to replace the stock head pipe and cat, but I have to say the above stage one items have really cut the heat way down to the point I don't even notice it when riding.

As far as a windshield I went with a Klock Werks Flip and it was an improvement over the stock windshield. I don't know about a Road Glide as far as the windshield goes as I said I have an Electra Glide.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 270 Likes on 160 Posts

Low cost solution for seat, pull the staples from the pan and carve the foam to your liking with a steak knife. Worked great on my last bike and my new one. Windvest for a windshield. 170 bucks. Dump the cat. Bars are my next concern. Always liked pull back drag bars.

Quick Reply: Now that I have some miles on my ride, I need some suggestions for fixes