Ok, I need a new seat... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 09:33 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts
Default Ok, I need a new seat... HELP!

2015 RGS

I'm 6", 34" inseam (well 33" but I buy 34" jeans ) I'm a big guy, 240+ and have zero ***, I mean it looks like I've taken a dump in my pants as the *** is so damn saggy.

I've tried so far:

Stock seat modded by Mean City
Hammock (new version)
Danny Gray BigIST Solo Air II
LaPera Outcast w/backrest
Skwoosh gel pad (I'm using this on the LaPera now)

What I think I have to have is a softer seat with a backrest. I liked the idea of the Danny Gray with the airhawk as I could adjust on the move but to be honest I thought the LaPera was more comfortable.

Yesterday I did a 400 mile trip and as usual, after an hour I begin to squirm trying to find that comfortable spot. I just never can! I find myself leaning on the side of my right side almost side saddle at times. I have never found a seat that is comfortable to me (had a Corbin on my Yamaha Warrior but that was a bar hopper bike so i'm not counting it).

I had a C&C on my RK and sold it as I thought it was too hard. Also had a Mustang on the RK and thought it wasn't right either but I only rode 1 ride with it and now I'm thinking that I should have given it more time.

I also had a Hammock (new version) on the RGS for a short time but sold it as i felt it raised me too high, also didn't give it more of a chance as I really prefered the solo look (that's why I got the BigIST)

I need a new seat! For the life of me can't figure out what to buy next. I'm thinking of trying either the Mustang or Hammock again but this time giving it more saddle time.

I know I HAVE to have a backrest. I know the firmer seats just don't work for me, I can't stay in them for more than an hour before I'm squirming. Today my *** feels like I got repeated kicked in it, not fun at all.

I've put about 5K miles on the bike in the last 4 or 5 months so it's not that I'm not getting saddletime for the BigIST or LePera.

Anyone have an advice? I'm really at a loss here.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:49 AM
pkwett94
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Try a Sundowner. The reviews are not great for the new version but it is working for me. Also try the Tall Boy. Go to a dealer that has demo seats and save yourself some money. I also tried Mean City and ended up with the Sundowner.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:56 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I've been trying different seats on my '15 RGS. So far, the softest I've found is an Ultra seat. Really, really cushy. I didn't stay with it because I don't care for the narrow nose that most Harley riders want, but I'd give it a try.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:58 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

I went from a Hammock to a Sundowner. It sits lower than the Hammock and is thinner toward the tank so it allows you to keep your knees closer together and allows easier stops. It is a bit firmer than the Hammock but I actually find it more comfortable and supportive. It has a bit more back support as well. Looks pretty good when tourpak is removed and doesn't look like a sofa on top of the fender. I also find the lack of stitching across the seating surface to be more comfortable.

I am 6' and have a 32" inseam. I weigh 230-240 depending on time of year. Seat width in the seating area is perfect for me and no part of my *** is hanging off the seat. I wear a 36 waist in jeans.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:04 AM
JCBGlide
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Sometimes it's best to find a local custom upholster and have them build one to your specs. Not only can you get the Gell, Foam, Cushion made to fit your needs, you also get a custom design that only you have. Ask around the shops & see who they recommend.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:21 PM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in the same boat (needing a new seat). I had a Sundowner on my '07 and loved it. I'm concerned about forking out money for a new Sundowner in light of the current reviews for the new model. I guess Mean City is an option also. At 6' 3" and 260 lbs. I find the stock seat unacceptable for anything more than moderate distance rides.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Probably the best seat out there is the Russel Day Long...but it IS spendy...and yes it IS ugly. One of the few seats out that I never hear a complaint about (as far as being comfortable). If I were to choose between looks and my tush being happy, it's a no brainer!

http://www.day-long.com/

Rax

Old 05-08-2016, 02:29 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Take a look at Ultimate Seats.Several options plus TallBoy seat. They have a 14 day trial period for the cost of shipping. Great people to deal with. Do a search on here, vast majority of people who have them, love them.
http://ultimateseats.ca/harley-davidson-accessories

Old 05-08-2016, 02:39 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,163 Likes on 2,936 Posts

I did a hammock seat after a MCC modded stock one on my 14 Limited. The modded seat didn't get me the legroom i wanted. You can only go back a little on that stock seat.

The hammock i went for was a 13 and older one. It gives about another inch over a 14 up hammock. I like that seat real well for comfort, although a little more legroom would be nice. I'm 6'2 with 34 inseam. I didn't try the tallboy because i have an adjustable backrest and that's a no go.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts

Damn Bunker, you go through seats like you do speakers........The Ultimate seats are worth a try. Since you've already tried Corbin and C&C (my two favorites, but I like the firmness) I won't go there.

I did the 14 day trial with ultimate last year and it is truly risk free. They are a tad softer than both Corbin/C&C and IMO they were actually more comfortable. BUT, they moved me too far forward, even the tall boy. All it will cost you is shipping, so worth a shot. The quality was very good (keep in mind it's vinyl vs. leather) and the comfort to me was excellent, I just felt squished. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and about 250. Great customer service and easy to work with.

As others have mentioned, I've never heard anything bad about a Russell day long, but I just can't get past the look no matter how comfortable they are.

The following users liked this post:
twistedsweeper (07-31-2016)

Quick Reply: Ok, I need a new seat... HELP!