2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local dealer is taking this tuner fallout crap seriously...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 07:28 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts
Default Local dealer is taking this tuner fallout crap seriously...

Stopped in my local dealer today to see the Laguna Orange RGS they received (looks much better in person by the way, much brighter and more flake than you can see in internet pics). Was talking 2017 changes and they mentioned the different muffler size and the only thing they can offer for 17 touring bikes right now is street cannons. This led to the whole tuner discussion............

According to them, there are no more flashes available from HD (at least not for 17 and up bikes) and the only option they are going to make available is for their customers to buy the new pro street tuner (or go aftermarket tuner from an Indy of course). Note that this is coming from a dealer that doesn't even have a dyno.

Furthermore, they have instructed their service writers and salesmen to let customers know that they will no longer install any aftermarket component that is not 50 state street legal on a new bike. Yes, my jaw hit the floor. I gave them the specific example of someone coming in with a V&H full exhaust system that they want put on a new bike and they clearly said they would not install it going forward.

The service manager also stated that they have been told by the MOCO that the EPA will randomly audit work orders (sounds overboard, but that's what they said and it came straight from service manager). Supposedly dealer work orders are uploaded to the MOCO system nightly and if the EPA checks records and a dealership is found to have installed an EPA non-compliant system on a new bike (specifically said new) that they (the dealer, not the MOCO) could be fined up to $37,000 per bike by the EPA. They also said that starting immediately they would visually inspect any bike of anyone wanting to purchase an ESP - if the bike had non-EPA compliant exhaust or other components the dealer could see, they would not sell them an extended warranty until the bike was returned to a compliant condition.

It all sounds way over the top, but they know it's going to push a lot of customers out the door to the indy mechanics so I don't think they'd be doing something this radical just for shizzle and giggles.

Anyone else heard similar info??

Old 08-26-2016, 07:31 PM
jimgpayne
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

They are correct, the settlement Harley has with the DOJ requires Harley to void the powertrain warranty of any 2017 and later bike that has been tuned in any way.

And the DOJ requires Harley report the total number of voided warranties each year to the EPA.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:32 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Having to be 50 state complient is bs, unless you are in CA. But they may be nervous. You would think legally they could, but never know.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:35 PM
jimgpayne
Advanced

Originally Posted by Roadie13
that they (the dealer, not the MOCO) could be fined up to $37,000 per bike by the EPA.
That's the same amount the EPA threatened Volkswagen with per vehicle.It's a standard amount for emissions tampering.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:36 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by jimgpayne
They are correct, the settlement Harley has with the DOJ requires Harley to void the powertrain warranty of any 2017 and later bike that has been tuned in any way.

And the DOJ requires Harley report the total number of voided warranties each year to the EPA.
I'll bet the MoCo is happy about voiding warranties.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:37 PM
jimgpayne
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zerk
Having to be 50 state complient is bs, unless you are in CA.
Actually, it's not BS. Look at the top of every window sticker on every new car. They are required by law to meet and certify that they are "50 state compliant". It's a phrase to describe "normal" emissions versus the California emissions.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:38 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

What they told you is exactly what the consent decree states they have to do to comply. Go read the decree. It's online. Public knowledge.

If they don't and they get caught they can be shutdown by the EPA. I worked for a company that got a little lax with a situation like this and they shut an entire facility down. 400 workers on the street.

Last edited by todd-67; 08-26-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:38 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
Having to be 50 state complient is bs, unless you are in CA. But they may be nervous. You would think legally they could, but never know.
The EPA requirements apply to all fifty states. California has requirements that go above and beyond the federal regulations. The EPA could legally fine any dealer out of business for altering emissions on bikes, if they wanted to take the time and money to do this.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

It's pretty easy to see where all this is heading.

I almost wish they'd just go ahead and lock the ECM down now and get it over with so I can gripe about it for awhile and move on.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:45 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigMike
I'll bet the MoCo is happy about voiding warranties.

Hell yes they are. The $12M they paid in the settlement is chump change compared to what they'll save long term by not having to pay out warranty work because they find this or that non-compliant part.

Quick Reply: Local dealer is taking this tuner fallout crap seriously...