Sponsored by:

Hammock Seat Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Hammock Seat Question(s)

Looking for a seat to help out my old **** feel better after 100 miles. I get tail bone pressure point discomfort from the stock seat as well. I've been thinking about new rear shocks for my 2014 SGS in hopes of improving the ride from harsh bottom outs.
A Hammock Seat and Shocks are out of the question as far as replacing both at the same time.
From what I've been searching and reading most riders here seem to be pretty happy with the Hammock seat as far as comfort goes.
I'm a solo only rider and 5' 10" for height, and have a 30"-31" inseam. With the SGS in stock form I really feel pretty good about the seat position. I don't think that I want to move rearward at all because I seem to be stretched out pretty much max at this point. Also...does the Hammock have a higher or more squared edged rise behind the driver to aid in more back support than the stock seat has?
Thoughts...... will the Hammock move me back and cause me to feel too far back in the saddle? Some people indicate that the Hammock adds what feels to be another inch of suspension travel. (maybe it will soften the heavy dip type bumps that spike me?) as well as adding drivers comfort?
It's rare that I ride more than 200 miles per day and that type of riding is always day/trip outings. I really don't see myself doing any long touring rides in the future.
Unfortunately I don't really have the option to try out a Hammock, being that the few riding friends that I have don't have touring bikes.
Any advise or suggestions appreciated!

Last edited by Bodacious MC; 09-06-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:53 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

I would replace the shocks with Ohlins or Pro-Actions before the seat. The SGS has very little suspension travel. The hammock will soften the ride, that's for sure, but the shocks are the root of the problem.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:39 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,218 Posts

Here's a seat:
http://streetglide.com/showthread.ph...mmock-Seat-275

I'm the same size as you and use the Hammock and Ohlins shocks but have used the 13" hand adjustables with lowering blocks that works about as good as the Ohlins. I had all the same issues as you and the seat and shocks cleared things up.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:51 PM
H King
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bodacious-
I have the Hammock seat for almost a year now on my '14 SGS, and it has made my hip pain nearly vanish. Hope it does the same for your back. Yes, it makes me sit a little higher,( I'm 5'8'), but I actually feel more comfortable braking and shifting. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:02 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Had a Hammock for my 08 SG. The stock seat sucks. And I had my stock shitty shocks for 45k miles. The seat did it for me. My 11 RGU was about to get a hammock but I traded it on the 16. The day I bought the RGS I put the hammock seat in the wife's car for my long rides and when she's with me. Solo. I run a saddleman solo.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:11 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Have one for sale in touring parts section . Used couple times

Old 09-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master

Originally Posted by tbob
Have one for sale in touring parts section . Used couple times
Thanks,
I found your Sundowner, do you also have a Hammock listed?
What did you switch too from the Sundowner?
You can PM me with your replies if you would like. Thanks!

Old 09-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

You know your local Harley dealer will let you demo a Hammock or a Sundowner seat for a couple of days at no charge right?

Old 09-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 244 Likes on 194 Posts

I'm little shorter then you Hammock with Mustang backrest and premium 13" shocks on my Limited work great for me I can ride all day without discomfort, not sure why being flat foot is so important very rare you see a Goldwing rider flat footed.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:58 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
I'm little shorter then you Hammock with Mustang backrest and premium 13" shocks on my Limited work great for me I can ride all day without discomfort, not sure why being flat foot is so important very rare you see a Goldwing rider flat footed.
With the 13" adjustable shocks installed, did you have any clearance problems with the axle nut?
Also, with longer shocks installed does the extra length affect the drive belt tension? (simple to adjust.....just curious)

Quick Reply: Hammock Seat Question(s)