Sponsored by:

Comm question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 11:05 PM
scarin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comm question.

My GF and I usually ride with another couple and we have a big ride in the planning stages for next year. I want to be able to talk to my GF privately and to talk to the group as well. Voice control of the info system would be a bonus but not a necessity. Do any of the units out there allow multi channel and easy switching?

Old 12-13-2016, 05:20 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Are you and your GF on separate bikes?

Old 12-13-2016, 09:41 AM
scarin
Cruiser

Sorry should have clarified. No she rides with me on my 14 SGS

Old 12-13-2016, 10:00 AM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

My first instinct is a pair of Sena bluetooth com units. They pair together for direct communication between you and your GF, and can group communicate with other BT units. Plus they pair to your phone for music, calls, etc. It will not communicate with the HD head unit for CB/voice commands. To add that on you need a Sena Freewire.
Compatibility with the rest of your group depends on how they communicate (BT, or CB)

Now if the rest of your group uses CB, and you are convinced to get one, the complete CB system (module, PTT button, antenna, stud, din ports, headsets, etc) will cost more than $500 for a pair of Sena 20s. The onboard communication will work between you and your GF independent of the CB via different VOX and PTT commands controlled by the head unit.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 AM
scarin
Cruiser

Vince

Thanks for the info. Juat to clarify with the Senas which I was looking at you can have 2 "channels". Private for me and GF and public for the group?

Or are you saying that I use the Senas for one and the bikes PTT for the other.

I see no reason to go CB unless I'm missing something.

And are the freewire a better option them the AKE I have been reading about.

Finally if the GF is just listening and talking on the Sena and doesn't need to control the HU does she need a freewire as well?

Again thanks.

Larry

Old 12-13-2016, 03:04 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Your 14 SGS came with the Boom Box 6.5? Why not install the Harley 7 pin plug for rider and passenger

Old 12-13-2016, 04:34 PM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer

See below in RED.

Thanks for the info. Juat to clarify with the Senas which I was looking at you can have 2 "channels". Private for me and GF and public for the group?
Each unit is assigned a number "intercom 1, 2, etc..." so you can have one reserved for your GF. Check out the product page here: http://www.sena.com/product/20s/ or the user's guide. Both are helpful explaining the way it works.

Or are you saying that I use the Senas for one and the bikes PTT for the other.
You would only need a pair of Senas to communicate with your GF. The bike is not part of the equation. PTT only comes into play when adding CB.

I see no reason to go CB unless I'm missing something.
I hear ya. I kinda want CB to talk to others in my HOG chapter, but not sure if it's worth the cost of the parts.

And are the freewire a better option then the AKE I have been reading about.
If you want to talk to the head unit, From what I have read, the freewire is a little more user friendly than the AKE unit. I'm in the same boat, I haven't figured out how I want to connect my 20s to the bike, but I'm leaning toward the freewire

Finally if the GF is just listening and talking on the Sena and doesn't need to control the HU does she need a freewire as well?
No. To just talk with you (or others in your group via BT), she would only need the 20s. A second freewire is only needed if she also wants to talk to the head unit or via CB.

Lastly,

Old 12-13-2016, 04:39 PM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Your 14 SGS came with the Boom Box 6.5? Why not install the Harley 7 pin plug for rider and passenger
This is a great option for coms with your passenger. Adding CB would be needed to talk to others.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:47 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

VincetheArchiteck - I completely agree that the CB is needed. It sounds like the other have a CB unit - so he will need that to talk to them.

To me, the CB install and the rider passenger plugs just seem like a cleaner installation.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:33 AM
scarin
Cruiser

Thanks again both of you for the input. Not sure I need to get CB as the other riders dont have CBs either and we will all go with same solution so the Senas sound like they will work better. And I prefer a wireless solution rather then a wired one.

As to the Freewire, whats a good mounting location, would like to hide it but i get that you may need access to the button on occassion

Quick Reply: Comm question.