Sponsored by:

SENA 20S Freewire Audio feedback Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 07:07 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by cash64
The 7 pin is there & connected behind the fairing with the Freewire charging cable connected to an added charging socket. So I think we are talking about the same thing unless the additional lsocket for some reason is the cause. I'll definitely try the other bikes like you suggest though.
Hmmm, I've got this setup with the 20s and the freewire installed on my 17SGS, and don't have any of those issues either. Only thing I thought was fickle was the bike command switch when trying to use gps, it couldn't distinguish figgin Grapevine from Boise or Bangladesh. All other functions were great.

I have the sierra electronics 7pin adapter wire though, not the harley one behind the fairing, not sure if that could be a source. Also, what about mic selection, wonder if that's a culprit, have you tried swapping to a different mic? I use the wired/boom, not just the full boom on my modular. I also wonder if it could interference thing? I know when I was wiring my stage 2 lowers and fairing, it mentioned to keep power and grounds away from spark plug wires due to noise and interference, wonder if routing could be an issue. Just throwing suggestions out, I'd deffinitey take my sena and freewire in and slave it in to one of their bikes and maybe slave their freewire to your bike.

My buddy Todd at parts I'm sure will hook you up.

Russ

Old 02-20-2017, 05:21 PM
cash64
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusred
Hmmm, I've got this setup with the 20s and the freewire installed on my 17SGS, and don't have any of those issues either. Only thing I thought was fickle was the bike command switch when trying to use gps, it couldn't distinguish figgin Grapevine from Boise or Bangladesh. All other functions were great.

I have the sierra electronics 7pin adapter wire though, not the harley one behind the fairing, not sure if that could be a source. Also, what about mic selection, wonder if that's a culprit, have you tried swapping to a different mic? I use the wired/boom, not just the full boom on my modular. I also wonder if it could interference thing? I know when I was wiring my stage 2 lowers and fairing, it mentioned to keep power and grounds away from spark plug wires due to noise and interference, wonder if routing could be an issue. Just throwing suggestions out, I'd deffinitey take my sena and freewire in and slave it in to one of their bikes and maybe slave their freewire to your bike.

My buddy Todd at parts I'm sure will hook you up.

Russ
Thanks for the input. I did actually have Todd help me with this issue. He's still upset because when I attempted to hook it up to other bikes to see if it was some of the above...not only did it echo on the other bikes but Todd synced his headset with my Freewire and he's started echoing too. He still hasn't been able to get the echo out! He is working with the Sena rep to see if they can figure it out but no answers yet. In the meantime I returned both the 20S and the Freewire until Sena can find and repair the glitch.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:44 PM
Opossum
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This a Freewire problem I believe, based on a couple of experiments me and some Buds did with different setups.below is the service request I submitted to SENA and their answer. Todd is who sold me my stuff as well. I would like to believe the have a team on it, I'll wait it out a little bit longer.

Agent#3, Feb 17, 8:07 AM PST:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting SENA Technologies.

I do apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused you.

The Cavalry Helmet is not yet compatible to the Freewire but there will be a firmware update that will make the 2 devices compatible. Just keep posted on our website sena.com.
Andro
SENA Technical Support

Opossum, Feb 11, 10:23 AM PST:
Howdy Folks,
I recently purchase the SENA Freewire and Calvary helmet. I have update both units firmware as of 2/10/17, peformed the default reset (twice) and re-paired the two devices twice sucessfully. I have my apple ihone blootooth synched to my Harley Davidson infotainment unit. Music plays wonderfully, however when I try to do anything voice related there is a constant “interference” noise. None of the voice commands on the Harley work, upon the long press to activate “Siri” none of her commands work, and when I manually dialed the phone from the the boom I could hear my wife but she could not hear me. As long as we are in the “phone” mode the interference is constant, and upon termination all is clear again. All testing was performed in the garage not in motion. The setup is as follows…I purchased the Harley 7-pin harness for the Freewire, it’s installed to the back of the Boom unit, I installed a charge port for power to the Freewire, we drilled holes inside the fairing to run both cords to the glove box so everything is tucked away. I’ve poured over your info and site, labored thru internet and this stuff is so new it’s almost as if in Beta. When I terminate the Bluetooth rig and plug my Harley wired headset in everything works as it used to , phone voice commands, Siri, and music. I’m stumped. The one buddy that has the Freewire and 20S setup experiences the same lack of voice command but he doesn’t have the “interference” noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Best Regards,

Old 02-21-2017, 05:27 PM
mtlwrx
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Opossum
This a Freewire problem I believe, based on a couple of experiments me and some Buds did with different setups.below is the service request I submitted to SENA and their answer. Todd is who sold me my stuff as well. I would like to believe the have a team on it, I'll wait it out a little bit longer.

Agent#3, Feb 17, 8:07 AM PST:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting SENA Technologies.

I do apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused you.

The Cavalry Helmet is not yet compatible to the Freewire but there will be a firmware update that will make the 2 devices compatible. Just keep posted on our website sena.com.
Andro
SENA Technical Support

Opossum, Feb 11, 10:23 AM PST:
Howdy Folks,
I recently purchase the SENA Freewire and Calvary helmet. I have update both units firmware as of 2/10/17, peformed the default reset (twice) and re-paired the two devices twice sucessfully. I have my apple ihone blootooth synched to my Harley Davidson infotainment unit. Music plays wonderfully, however when I try to do anything voice related there is a constant “interference” noise. None of the voice commands on the Harley work, upon the long press to activate “Siri” none of her commands work, and when I manually dialed the phone from the the boom I could hear my wife but she could not hear me. As long as we are in the “phone” mode the interference is constant, and upon termination all is clear again. All testing was performed in the garage not in motion. The setup is as follows…I purchased the Harley 7-pin harness for the Freewire, it’s installed to the back of the Boom unit, I installed a charge port for power to the Freewire, we drilled holes inside the fairing to run both cords to the glove box so everything is tucked away. I’ve poured over your info and site, labored thru internet and this stuff is so new it’s almost as if in Beta. When I terminate the Bluetooth rig and plug my Harley wired headset in everything works as it used to , phone voice commands, Siri, and music. I’m stumped. The one buddy that has the Freewire and 20S setup experiences the same lack of voice command but he doesn’t have the “interference” noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Best Regards,
A little different problem. Everything works on my setup. All the voice commands, phone everything.

Just has an annoying echo in the ears.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:25 PM
genes3t
1st Gear

I'm having the same problem too, hope someone has a answer soon.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Ironpony1
5th Gear

Same echo problem here too on a 2015 ultra limited. Done everything that has been mentioned in this thread, also updated the boombox to the latest 1.20.3. Mine is worthless as it is and if no resolution soon it's going back for refund.
One thing I'm going to try is my son has the smh10 and if it pairs to the freewire see if that changes anything. Not sure if it's compatible.
Sena need to get on the ball!

Old 02-24-2017, 08:20 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

I just ordered a Freewire and a 20S. I'll be installing it next week when it arrives. Planning on using it on my way to Daytona Bike Week. My buddy has a Sena unit so we'll have comms on the trip. I sure hope that I don't have the echo issue.

Just so I'm straight on all of this:
7 pin connector to Freewire
Pair phone with HD Infotainment ONLY
Pair Freewire with 20s

Old 02-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Ironpony1
5th Gear
Default Be

Good luck Big Mike, really hope it works for you. You have the process right, be sure your units have the latest firmware and us know how it works out.
On my set up its been frustrating and discouraging to spend that much money and it's unusable and I don't think sena has any clue yet on resolving the echo.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:04 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironpony1
Good luck Big Mike, really hope it works for you. You have the process right, be sure your units have the latest firmware and us know how it works out.
On my set up its been frustrating and discouraging to spend that much money and it's unusable and I don't think sena has any clue yet on resolving the echo.
Thanks. If I have the same problem, I'll box it up and send it back to Amazon when I get back from Bike Week. I need to make sure that I make time to learn how to use it before getting on the road.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:33 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Not to say some kind of firmware issue is at hand here but I and I'm guessing several others don't have these problems. I think as I mentioned in my posts, I just don't feel the mic picks up the commands properly. I think you can say "hello sena" and it's suppose to respond, mine doesn't and as I mentioned for gps, if I tell it an address it can't even get close to what I'm saying so I'm not pleased with the command portion but to me it's not the reason I bought it, it was for intercomm, and I don't have the feedback.

In my trade an aviation mechanic, radio comms quite often will have echo and feedback if two sources are being keyed in close prox to each other. I'm just wondering if this is an equipment issue, location issue, hardware issue, software issue or what. I'd be curious to see while we wait for Sena to respond with some firmware what people are running and where.

In my case....

2017 Streetglide Special
Sena Freewire, with latest firmware
Sena 20s, with latest firmware
Boombox infotainment with latest firmware
Sierra electronics (not the harley one) 7 din pin relocation cable.
I'm using the boom mic with wire (not the wired mic)
I also have the am/fm antenna under fairing, which is another reason I didn't want my freewire in media box, possible noise from that?
I'm also running custom ear monitors (ear buds), wired to the sena 20s, not the speakers in my helmet, but I did install the speakers in my girlfriends helmet and she didn't mention echo or feedback, I'd have to check hers for myself.

I have my cable ran back to my right saddlebag also, which is where I install my freewire.

Has any body played with putting the freewire up near the headunit, and running the cable to the aft of bike or away from head unit, just wondering if there is noise/feedback being introduced by being so close to head unit? I know a lot of you guys have yours installed in the media compartment

Last edited by cactusred; 02-24-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: SENA 20S Freewire Audio feedback Problem