Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Harley Hound57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called my dealer on Tuesday and they had not heard of it told me to call back in a few days, so today i emailed my Dealer and i have an appointment next Saturday.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:26 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
That sounds like the clutch recall (recall 153) from October 2013. They had to rebuild the master cylinder and remove the cover to verify the clutch had the correct release plate. I watched then do mine today. They just removed the master cylinder replace the internal parts and reinstalled it. If you read the recall details in a link someone posted in post 204 above it mentions nothing about inspecting the clutch. The hydraulic clutches aren't adjustable.
THAT makes a lot of sense....

Old 09-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Here are the details of the current clutch recall. It does appear it only affects the 14's built thru 7/18/14.

Product description

Certain 2014 FLHTCU, FLHTCU TC, FLHTK, FLHTK SHRINE, FLHTP, FLHX, FLHX SHRINE, FLHXS, FLHTKSE and FLHRSE model motorcycles built 22103/2013 through 18/07/2014 (US) and 25103/2013 through 20108/2014 (outside US), equipped with original equipment Clutch Master Cylinders or Chrome Accessory Clutch Master Cylinders may have a condition affecting motor vehicle safety.

Identifying features

Recall campaign number: 0159

What are the defects?

These motorcycle models may develop a tear in the primary cup (seal) of their Hydraulic Clutch Master Cylinder piston.

What are the hazards?

If this condition occurs, the system may lose the ability to maintain enough lift to keep the clutch disengaged and if this condition remains undetected, it could allow the motorcycle to "creep" forward from a stop, which could lead to a loss of control of the vehicle possibly causing a crash.

Where the product was sold

• Nationally
Traders who sold this product

Harley Davidson dealers

Supplier

Harley Davidson Motor Co

What should consumers do?

A letter will be sent to affected owners.

If the motorcycle is affected, dealers will replace the Clutch Master Cylinder Piston Assembly with replacement components provided in a kit specifically for this recall.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:54 AM
fattybob
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xhere
This is the same thing they done to mine today, they had the derby cover off and looked as if he was checking adjustment. I should have ask him at the time....

I did ask why and the service tech told me they have a gauge they need to connect to verify they are getting the correct pressure at the clutch end of the hydraulic line. He said that as he was wiping the oily fingerprints off the derby cover. That's why I said "test" / adjust the clutch. I didn't know there was no adjustment to be done. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:36 PM
roadpop
Tourer
Location: Living 33yrs in Sunny Florida !!! Living the retirement dream....Love it!!!
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

They remove derby cover to check clutch adj then install new rubber gasket,..the tech showed me the plunger they replaced and said the first recall didn't have a tiny hole at the top of the plunger just above the top seal ...now all the bikes come with the update plungers...now somehow one of the small cups/seals can tear then the fluid goes past the seal and you lose the pressure...not sure how except maybe a burr inside the housing..anyway it took 40 mins including washing the bike...work order showed $47 parts..$99 labor so I'm sure the dealers like the additional work..one tech said he did 19 recalls and turned 17 hrs in one day

Old 09-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Stonehedge
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at my dealer today (for some shopping) and got lucky and they took my bike right in and did the recall and a test ride in less than an hour. Nice, as I was dreading having to schedule it later.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:05 PM
twig
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I took my bike in to have the primary chain looked at today and no mention of recall I was pis__ed off about the so called look at the primary chain that I just got on the bike and left.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:20 PM
Anoldtimer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my 2014 Street Glide in for the 1000 mile check, Saturday, Sept 13, the service writer told me about the recall. They had the fix kit and took care of it. Avalanche Harley in Denver, Co.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:36 PM
KMC1
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Anoldtimer
Took my 2014 Street Glide in for the 1000 mile check, Saturday, Sept 13, the service writer told me about the recall. They had the fix kit and took care of it. Avalanche Harley in Denver, Co.
Love to hear these kinds of stories - HD dealer network is the reason I bought my Limited. By the way, I got my bike from Avalanche as well - good dealership and they worked out a great deal with me.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:59 PM
mhsmith451
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't read all the posts but....had my master replaced under warranty about 3 weeks ago...riding up the road with the Ol lady on the back.take off from a stop and the clutch felt a little spongy...hmmmm...go 1st, 2nd, 3rd and clutch pulls straight to the bar with virtually no resistance....fish for neutral, pull to side, call hog, had it towed in...4 days later, after having a loaner for the holiday weekend, the master cylinder was replace and has been fine since...1000 miles, give or take...
I have another post about this under great customer service as Mile Hi HD did me a solid with the loaner.

Quick Reply: ****New clutch recall issued 9/8/14****