Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

spectro 6 speed lube in a twin cam 5 speed tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:24 PM
lecomte38
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default spectro 6 speed lube in a twin cam 5 speed tranny

I was going to order a quart of the new Spectro 6 speed gl 5 transmission fluid when I went to the Spectro site to check for applications. The chart indicates that the twin cam motors (2002 road king) should take either transmission oil ( ? ) or 20w-50. My repair manual calls H-D Trans Lube 98853-96. WTF should I put in the gear box????

Old 12-03-2007, 06:37 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: spectro 6 speed lube in a twin cam 5 speed tranny

lecomte38:

Couple of my riding buds ('06 SE Ultra and '06 Ultra, both 5-speeds) have switched to the Spectro 6 speed; and they have commented that they will use nothing else in their trannys! Noted the super-smooth shifting along with overall smooth/quiet operation.

It's a new product that's gaining in popularity. Sure made a believer out of me!

[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 12-06-2007, 10:44 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Made a believer out of me too.

They make a GL1 for the 5 speeds, the GL5 is for the 6 speeds with the helical cut gears.

The GL 5 is needed for helical cut gears because of the wear additive and the friction of the helical cut gears on each other and the 5 speed has straight cut gears so it's overkill for the 5 speed trans.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:18 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: glide

Made a believer out of me too.

They make a GL1 for the 5 speeds, the GL5 is for the 6 speeds with the helical cut gears.

The GL 5 is needed for helical cut gears because of the wear additive and the friction of the helical cut gears on each other and the 5 speed has straight cut gears so it's overkill for the 5 speed trans.
After riding the '06 SE Ultra (5-speed) with the GL5 Spectro, I would have to disagree that it was overkill. Overall operation of the tranny was very smooth with noted ease of shifting up or down.

Also first and fifth gears in the 6-speeds are straight cut; in my case, switching to the Spectro GL5 was primarily for reducing/eliminating the 5th gear whine which it most definitely did!

Good stuff!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-07-2007, 01:18 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: WVULTRA

After riding the '06 SE Ultra (5-speed) with the GL5 Spectro, I would have to disagree that it was overkill. Overall operation of the tranny was very smooth with noted ease of shifting up or down.

Also first and fifth gears in the 6-speeds are straight cut; in my case, switching to the Spectro GL5 was primarily for reducing/eliminating the 5th gear whine which it most definitely did!

Good stuff!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Maybe I used the wrong wording here. I was told by Ken Ciocci from Spectro oils that the GL 1 would be a better choice for the 5 speeds because the extra additive package is not needed in the 5 speed primarily because of the straight cut gears.
The GL1 does not have such a strong odor as the GL 5 does because of the lesser amounts of zinc and phosphorus.
He went on to say that you can use the GL 1 in a six speed but preferrably not the GL 5 in a 5 speed because of the additional amounts of zinc and phosphorus which are an anti wear additive mainly for the helical cut gears in the 6 speed, that's where the overkill comment comes in to play here. It's simply a matter of not utilizing the extra benifits provided by the GL-5.