Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Syn3...Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Wolf
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Syn3...Again

From Rocky Mountain Harley Davidson. So, are they outright liars or is there a bunch of **** on this forum?? There is no in between. I just love this oil forum. How many engine failures has anyone seen due solely from a motorcycle designed oil of any brand? I've never heard of one from a 'cycle or cage and I used to race cages with all types of brands of oil and never had a failure due to oil. Suspect the same would be true for cycles. Fire away but not with anecdotal stories.

What are the key benefits to using SYN3?
SYN3 is a multi-use oil, meaning that it can be used in the engine, primary chain case, and transmission. Because a person no longer has to juggle 2 or even 3 different fluids, the use of SYN3 is significanly more convenient than standard lubricants. SYN3 is also designed to offer better wear protection at high temperatures, improved deposit control for a cleaner running engine, reduced oil consumption, high temperature detergency, and overall performance. [Top]

I keep hearing this product referred to as SYN3. What does that mean?
SYN3 is a synthetic product that has three uses, and is also produced from a proprietary three-synthetic basestock formula. [Top]

Is SYN3 a full-synthetic or a semi-synthetic oil?
SYN3 is a full synthetic lubricant. It is the general practice in the oil industry that a true synthetic is formulated with Group IV PAO basestocks and is a true synthetic. [Top]

Who makes or blends SYN3?
SYN3 is a proprietary blend, exclusively custom-blended for Harley-Davidson. [Top]

Why is Harley-Davidson introducing a synthetic oil, when for years dealers and customers have been told not to use a synthetic oil in Harley-Davidson and Buell motorcycles?
The Motor Company has never supported the use of synthetic products in our vehicles because there has never been any test validations completed on the numerous formulations in Harley-Davidson and Buell motorcycles. This product has been exclusively designed for Harley-Davidson and is the only synthetic product tested and certified by Harley-Davidson engineering for use in Harley-Davidson and Buell motorcycles. [Top]

What kind of testing was done on SYN3?
Over three years of labratory bench testing, dynamometer testing under accelerated conditions, open road vehicle durability testing, closed course durability testing, and wear deposit rating analysis. [Top]

How many miles have been put on motorcycles using SYN3?
In addition to the bench testing that was completed during the formulation process, additional testing can be broken down as follows:

Engine Testing:
More than 230,000 miles of durability testing and 81 hours of dyno testing.
Transmission Testing:
More than 200,000 miles of durability testing and 430 hours of dyno testing.
Clutch Testing:
More than 170,000 miles of clutch testing.
[Top]

Will standard HD-360 oil be replaced by SYN3?
No, it is The Motor Company's intention to provide customers an alternative lubricant product from Harley-Davidson, a lubricant specifically formulated for high-performance engines and hot climate applications. SYN3 is an alternative lubricant product that will help keep those engines running smoothly. [Top]

What vehicle power trains and power train cavities can be filled with SYN3?
SYN3 can be used in the engine, primary chain case, and transmission in all Evolution XL, Evolution 1340, Twin Cam 88 (all displacements), Revolution, and Buell models. [Top]

Can SYN3 be used in Shovelhead engines, 4-speed Big Twin transmissions, 4-speed XL transmissions/primaries, or early Shovelhead 5-speed transmissions?
Harley-Davidson has not tested SYN3 in these engine, primary, and transmission configurations. There are a multitude of tests that must be completed before a lubricant can be certified for use in Harley-Davidson engines, primary chain cases, and transmissions. Many of these tests require that the component

Old 01-22-2006, 12:18 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: Syn3...Again

Ain't sure what yer gripin' about. Are there any lies in the HD spiel? Nope, just facts with the HD spin on 'em.

Syn 3 is a full synthetic oil as determined by the courts and some science types. It is a Group 3, not Group 4; or at least it was. I know they've changed their supplier, so I can't say what the new supplier is making.

Engine failures because of oil failure? Only one I ever saw was when my bud used oil outta his dad's truck in his '61 Impala. Never figgered that counted.

Why use synthetic at all? Holds viscosity longer. Stands up to heat better. Does that matter if'n you change oil every 2k miles? Maybe, and maybe not. Y'all make yer choice, for whatever reasons y'all want.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:00 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure what the point is of reprinting this here. I don't think anybody here has said that Syn3 was garbage or that the MoCo was lying to anybody. The extensive information that has been printed here points out alot of differneces in oils that I sure as hell didn't know. The purpose is to let you make an informed decision on what you use in your bike. There has been alot of myth busting done here and that's good. For ME, I have found that both Formula + and M1 V Twin work better than Syn3. I am using M1 VTwin in my stock TC and M1 75W90 in my trans and I think it was a good change and much of my decision was based on info found here. Thanks to Skip and others who took the time and effort to have some of this tested. Use Syn3 or M1 or your Dads old oil, I don't care. My .02 cents.
[sm=rant.gif]

Old 01-22-2006, 11:22 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts

After all the smoke clears here, it's your bike, use what you are comfortable with. Sure HD is going to push their brand over others, thats a no brainer IMO (profit). Are there oils that work better/ last longer/ don't break down as fast, sure there are. I don't ust Syn 3 any longer because I changed and see a difference. My bike/ my opinion/ my choice.

I seriously doubt that there has been many if any engine failures from the use of non HD oil in these bikes. Pretty much any oil that is made for the application will work, some just better than others.

Would you go into a GM car dealer and expect them to try to sell you a Ford?

How can SYN3 withstand being used in the transmission?
The viscosity modifier in this product has improved shear stability.
Improved?? I'm not entirely impressed with the reply from this question at all. Improved from what to what? From "0" to "1"?

"viscosity modifier " It's still an engine oil and is too thin for the transmission viscosity modifier or not. A bunch of double talk if there ever was double talk.

Also friction modifiers are not a good thing in the primary for the clutches. You make your choice for your bike and I'll stick with mine.

Does SYN3 help with anti-wear or roller bearing wear?
SYN3 contains anti-wear formulations to provide the proper lubricity for all moving parts
Anti wear?? Pffffft!... More double talk and hype, says a lot and says nothing.

Can a quart of regular oil be added to the primary chain case or transmission if SYN3 is not available?
You're better off with the primary oil because as stated above, the friction modofiers in the syn 3. Try this change as I did and I think you'll agree. You end up with a better feel on the clutch and smoother engaugement.

If SYN3 is not available and addition of motor oil is required, the first choice would be to add HD-360 SAE 20W50 (part #99816-2050/00QT) to the SYN3 for engine lubrication. Although HD-360 oil is compatible with SYN3, we suggest the mixture of the fluids be changed as soon as possible.
Again here we go, use the HD 360, wonder why they say that?? Any oil will mix with Syn 3 and the disadvantage here is that the thermal breakdown will occur at a lower temperature than with a full fill of synthetic.

we suggest the mixture of the fluids be changed as soon as possible.
Yeah, and use our SYN 3 when you do it too Pfffft!

It's all HYPE and marketing by our friendly HD of Milwakeeeee!

Notice how neatly they cover their azz here when they do not recommend it for evo and older motors?? WHY YOU ASK?? They always said it will cause bearing skate when they made these motors, of course at that time they didn't sell SYN 3 either, now it's OK for the new motors because they found a nitche for more profit. Anyone here see a pattern forming?? Look through the smoke here.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Wolf
Road Captain

The point has been made.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:58 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The only question should be what pseudo synthetic is worse then then Syn 3? Bel-Ray is probably the only one that comes to mind. Do some independent research as there are dozens of tests floating out onthe internet and in cycle mags claiming what everybody here knows already.

Stick to the big 3 and you can't go wrong; Amsol, Redline, Mobile-1 v-twin.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Wolf
Road Captain

I'm not advocating any oil. You can **** in your crankcase for all I care. I just thought my original post was interesting and would stir up some healthy controversy. It was a success.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:13 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd only **** in my crankcases after a case of beer. Probably work better then Syn 3 anyway......

Old 01-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I flat out refuse to give the local dealer 9/10 bucks for a stinkin quart of oil

Old 01-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Wolf
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Bruce00

I flat out refuse to give the local dealer 9/10 bucks for a stinkin quart of oil
A 9/10 buck quart of oil, regardless of brand, is the cheapest thing your will buy for your brand new multi, multi- thousand buck bike.

Quick Reply: Syn3...Again