Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Crank Position Sensor Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Clear Water WI
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Position Sensor Leak?

When I took my 2006 Heritage Classic into the shop for a 1000 mile checkup, the service tech noticed a small amount of oil leaking around the crank position sensor. He replaced the sensor o-ring under warrant and said everything was ok. Over the weekend and 2000 mile later, I noticed additional leaking on the left side of the engine near the oil filter which led to oil spraying on top of the primary cover. It's not bad but annoying, none the less. I'm not sure what the crank position sensor looks like but read that it tends to get in the way when removing the filter. There are two things in the area of the oil filter that appear to be sensors but I'm not too sure...still learning. Can someone please provide me with little better description of the crank position sensor and if there are other sensors in that area of the engine? One small black plastic cap with wires has a HD shield imprinted on it. I have an appointment on Friday to have it checked out and would just like to be more knowledgeable for my discussion with the tech. Thank-you in advance for your assistance.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:11 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Crank Position Sensor Leak?

crank sensor is located front on left side of the case near the oil filter. It has a wire leading from it. Not hard to identify since it is the only thing there. there should be an oil pressure to it since it oil gets hit with oil splash in the case. If you have a pressure leak (oil spray) I would suspect the filter gasket verses the sensor. Under warranty, make them fix. you paid for it.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Woodyheritage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with sleepineagle. I oil filter is leaking it will go all over front and back towards rear of bike. You can clean oil off and run while sitting to see where leak is from but it should still be a hd issue....
Woody

Old 07-11-2006, 11:35 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Learn to do your own oil changes and the oil filter leaks will disappear.....my $.02.