Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mobil 1 V Twin
28.67%
Mobil 1 20/50 gold cap
4.45%
Redline
7.16%
Royal purple
4.22%
Rev tech
1.02%
Bel Ray
0.66%
HD 360
9.32%
Syn 3
16.63%
Amsoil
27.48%
Dynacycle
0.39%
Voters: 6848. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Erbie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Why is it funny to save money and time? I agree with you that changing the oil is the BEST thing you can do for your vehicle. I also change my own oil - cars and bikes. Always have, always will ---until I can't get back up.
If I was going to waste my time and money changing the oil every 2 to 3K miles, I'd just stick with dino oil, but I'm lazy and cheap so I go with syn.

If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy changing syn oil every 2 to 3K miles, go for it. No one is saying you can't. I'll keep changing every 5 to 6K miles. No reason not to.
Been doing it since the 70's and haven't had one single oil related problem.......and I feel warm and fuzzy knowing my engine is getting what it needs and I'm saving money at the same time = win-win.
So now that everyone is warm and fuzzy - let the riding begin - you do ride in the winter don't you???

Erbie, we all know filters don't get ALL the gunk out of the oil , but the miniscule amount left is not going to destroy an engine for many many years. No one said syn keeps metal out of the oil. Filters have come a very long way over the years and oil also. Just think of the wear and tear on the cars from the 50's and earlier. It's a wonder any survive to this day. Changing the filter would be better then changing the oil.
Since the majority of car owners only keep their cars 5 to 7 years, what difference does it make to them how often they change their oil? Nothing is going to happen to their engine in that short of time.
In my 55 years of driving I've only had 2 cars that eventually burned oil, but that was after thousands of miles of driving. The way you talk we would be replacing engines every couple years.

Bottom line. Change the oil and filter at the recommended times and you will not have any problems. Stop worrying so much and enjoy riding.
Mayhap you are correct, but if you are why is there a distance limit put on changing oil, I did note you used one. Why not just change the filter every 10000 miles, it is getting enough particles out to protect your engine so just change your filter. But you should really notice it is not the oil manufacturers telling you how often to change your oil it is the vechile manufacturer doing it and they figure in the life of the unit according to their specs, maybe you might just want to keep it a little longer than what they say it should last. The distance limit also does not mention what type of driving you are doing which means the problem with the oil comes from inside the engine that is why it is sealed so outside stuff don't help normal wear and tear.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:22 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

At 10000 miles the filter would probably be clogged. 10K miles in the desert or 10K miles in Iowa - big difference. Distance has more of an effect on the oil then time. I did say it would be better to change the filter then the oil ----- depending on time/distance.

Don't forget the oil mfg's do a lot of testing too and would know better then the auto mfg if their oil is up to snuff. They have to please all the auto mfg's specs not just one brand like the car companys tests. So the oil company and the additive mfg. both have more at steak then just one car company. I doubt if one car company tests only one brand of oil in their vehicle, but the oil companys have to design their oil for ALL the car companys specs.

What about the crap that comes into the engine from a faulty air filter?? That's outside stuff isn't it? It's not all internal stuff.

I normally keep a car for 5 years and my bikes 6+ years. In those short times any name brand oils would work ok.

Change the oil and filter at the recommended time and relax. Find an oil you like and use it.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Erbie
Tourer

At 10000 miles the filter would probably be clogged. 10K miles in the desert or 10K miles in Iowa - big difference. Distance has more of an effect on the oil then time. I did say it would be better to change the filter then the oil ----- depending on time/distance.

Don't forget the oil mfg's do a lot of testing too and would know better then the auto mfg if their oil is up to snuff. They have to please all the auto mfg's specs not just one brand like the car companys tests. So the oil company and the additive mfg. both have more at steak then just one car company. I doubt if one car company tests only one brand of oil in their vehicle, but the oil companys have to design their oil for ALL the car companys specs.

What about the crap that comes into the engine from a faulty air filter?? That's outside stuff isn't it? It's not all internal stuff.

I normally keep a car for 5 years and my bikes 6+ years. In those short times any name brand oils would work ok.

Change the oil and filter at the recommended time and relax. Find an oil you like and use it.

Oil system is sealed: The only difference between Iowa and the Sahara Desert would be heat. That is if the engine is ran the same, out in the desert lower gear means higher rpms means greater heat and wear made by the engine. Air Filter you are correct anyway grit can get into an engine will increase wear, that also includes the metal particles from normal wear and tear. If you get dirt in your engine while say running down a gravel road something is wrong with the engine, even pressure built up by normal running is vented thru the carb and out the exhaust. The fiber filled oil filler caps are a thing of the past a long time ago.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:28 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Erbie
Oil system is sealed: The only difference between Iowa and the Sahara Desert would be heat. That is if the engine is ran the same, out in the desert lower gear means higher rpms means greater heat and wear made by the engine. Air Filter you are correct anyway grit can get into an engine will increase wear, that also includes the metal particles from normal wear and tear. If you get dirt in your engine while say running down a gravel road something is wrong with the engine, even pressure built up by normal running is vented thru the carb and out the exhaust. The fiber filled oil filler caps are a thing of the past a long time ago.

I think you're forgetting something called = sand. It gets into everything. Ask the boys the fly helicopters over in the middle east.
It gets into the cyl's through the air filter, then eventually into the oil system by way bypassing old or defective piston rings. So changing the oil in certain areas should be done sooner then other areas. Milage also is a factor so you have to take both into consideration.

What does riding in the desert have to do with lower gears??? You lost me there. If I'm riding on US 40 through New Mexico and Arizona (desert areas) I'm suppose to ride in a lower gear???

Last edited by GARY DYER; 11-13-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Erbie
Tourer

I think you're forgetting something called = sand. It gets into everything. Ask the boys the fly helicopters over in the middle east.
It gets into the cyl's through the air filter, then eventually into the oil system by way bypassing old or defective piston rings. So changing the oil in certain areas should be done sooner then other areas. Milage also is a factor so you have to take both into consideration.

What does riding in the desert have to do with lower gears??? You lost me there. If I'm riding on US 40 through New Mexico and Arizona (desert areas) I'm suppose to ride in a lower gear???

How does sand get into a sealed system, I've been to Bamako Mali and drank bottled water, no sand in any of it because it was sealed, unless you have a 1950s vechile its oil system is sealed to keep out dirt. As I said crankcase pressure from normal operation is vented thru the carb no fiber oil cap these days. Helicopters in the middle east usually don't have pistons to worry about, they can carry more and go faster with a thing called a turbine engine, its lighter than a piston engine producing more horsepower, no pistons, bearings yes, pistons no. You ever ride off road, do it some time and see how ofter you are in high gear. I've went hunting before on motorcycles, to the area anyway, try climbing a grass/tree covered hill in high gear. Try going down a dirt trail in high gear, in fact get on a flat dirt road and try high gear, and you can ride in a sand infested desert in high gear, when the sand in the Sahara can drift over the concrete and bury the highway?

Old 11-18-2014, 10:40 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Now you've completely lost me.
I think I'll go lay down now.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Erbie
Tourer

Now you've completely lost me.
I think I'll go lay down now.
Lost you? Then making it very simple, how does sand or dirt get into your oil system that is sealed air tight? Unless you have a rod hanging out thru the crankcase or just plain throw your filler cap away leaving the hole open to the elements. Thru the air cleaner, how does it get past the rings that are there to hold compression on top of the piston, maybe your bike does not have rings?

Old 11-19-2014, 01:16 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Ever hear about bad or worn rings??

I also have a problem with fuel in my oil in my car. 8% according to all the UOA's I've had done. How did that get into an air tight oil system???

Last edited by GARY DYER; 11-19-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Erbie
Tourer

Ever hear about bad or worn rings??

I also have a problem with fuel in my oil in my car. 8% according to all the UOA's I've had done. How did that get into an air tight oil system???
Sure have and the air cleaner system I fully agreed with you that is if you read it. But your oil system is sealed until something is broke or missing.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:55 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Erbie
Sure have and the air cleaner system I fully agreed with you that is if you read it. But your oil system is sealed until something is broke or missing.

OK, one more time. Crud can get into the "Sealed(?)" oil system through bad, worn or missing rings.

Quick Reply: What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike