Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Carmel Valley Rd. From Carmel Valley

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 01:33 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts
Default Carmel Valley Rd. From Carmel Valley

Our Pacific Coast Highway ride this summer is going to need some modifications with the Pfeiffer Bridge out. Our plans had us riding from Monterey to Morro Bay via Highway 1. So, I'm thinking about heading south to Big Sur, then backtracking to Carmel, then to Carmel Valley. Then take Carmel Valley Rd south east to Arroyo Seco Rd, to Greenfield on the 101.

Has anyone taken this route recently? If so, how is the road condition for motorcycles? Looking at Google street view, it seems narrow, and kind of rough... but, it might be more interesting than taking 101 South all the way from the Monterey area.

Thoughts??

Thsnks...

Attached Thumbnails Carmel Valley Rd. From Carmel Valley-img_0426.png  
Old 03-18-2017, 09:56 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Check the Caltrans website for up to the minute road conditions.

There are issues from the storms this Winter along Hwy 1 in numerous locations.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:11 PM
1Fordman
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 59 Posts

Carmel Valley Road from the valley is a good road all the way to Arroyo Seco. It can be a bit narrow and twisty in a few spots. Have ridden it many times. The running Iron in Carmel Valley is a good food and rest stop.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:03 AM
badvlvo
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I ride Carmel Valley Road often, I live very close to Carmel. There are some rough patches, and some of it is narrow with blind turns, but as long as you keep your speed prudent it's a great ride.

You can only get 12 miles south of Carmel Valley Road on HWY 1 right now due to the bridge being out, so don't plan a lot of time into your trip for that portion of the ride.

Running Iron in Carmel Valley is good food, as 1Fordman says above, or there are countless restaurants in the Monterey and Carmel area where you can find outstanding food for reasonable prices.

The Talbot Motorcycle Museum is in Carmel Valley, in the village, and if you have time it's worth a stop.

If you aren't pressed for time, ride through Monterey and Pacific Grove, you can see Cannery Row, and then have a nice ride along the waterfront before heading back out to HWY 1.

There's a lot to see around here, and quite a few nice rides that will take you through redwoods, on the water, over green mountains, and through barren valleys, and they are all very close to Monterey.

I'm just now finding this thread months after it was originally posted, but if you haven't already taken the trip feel free to message me if you have any questions about the area.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:28 AM
1Fordman
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 59 Posts

Another development, 1 is also closed at Mud Creek by a massive mud slide. You can take Jolon Road from 101 to Fort Hunter Ligget to Nacimiento-Ferguson Road to 1 and run 1 north back to Pfeiffer where the road is closed. You can go south to past Gorda where the landslide occured and then take the same route back to 101 south to get to Morro Bay.

It's a mess for sure. We rode down to Big Sur for lunch on Memeorial Day weekend and it was strange due to the lack of tourist traffic. Normally Bixby Bridge is packed solid with cars and people, there were only 15 cars parked at Bixby.

Also on a busy weekend there is always a wait for seating at the River Inn, we got right in and were thanked for our group of 10 coming down.

Also please feel free to contact me as well for any updates, places to stay and see or for any dining recommendations.