"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Road Trip Route

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 05:44 PM
PKS98S
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Road Trip Route

Maybe some of you well-traveled fellow riders could offer some ride suggestions. I am planning a ride from the Hudson area (just North of Tampa) to Helen, GA in mid-June. I prefer to stay away from interstate routes as much as possible. Someone has suggested taking 41 to 441 and then following 441 up to Athens to 129, taking 129 to Hwy. 75 into Helen. Another has suggested getting to 129 in North FL and following it all the way up through GA to Hwy. 75. Anyone by chance taken a 2-wheeled ride to Helen, GA or any of these routes? I would greatly appreciate any information on such ride/routes.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:30 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

I know why you are going to Helen Georgia. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

Although it is not quite the right time of the year. Hmmmm.

I have been all over the area a zillion times. You cannot miss no matter what road you take to Helen Georgia or back. Everything up in that area is phenomenal. In my opinion.

I would like to give you the exact roads in the area that I really liked but honestly I just cannot remember them. I am old LOL! And I usually just dawdle through the roads going from one area to another not paying much attention to the exact roads I am on. Not too helpful sorry.

North Georgia in particular Northeast Georgia is one of the nicest places to ride.

But if you do not mind my asking, I have "Google man" up and down those roads like Edelweiss etc. trying to find the most downtown beautiful place to rent during Oktoberfest.

If you do not mind my asking my friend, where are you going to stay in Helen Georgia? If you are staying there?

BuzzCap7

Old 03-31-2017, 05:37 AM
fatmurse
Tourer
Received 202 Likes on 92 Posts

We rode to Helen about 8 years ago. Took 441 up and 129 back home. I liked 441 better because the traffic in Macon sucked worse than the traffic in Athens. As always, ymmv. Have fun, its a neat place

Old 03-31-2017, 06:24 AM
PKS98S
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
I know why you are going to Helen Georgia. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

Although it is not quite the right time of the year. Hmmmm.

I have been all over the area a zillion times. You cannot miss no matter what road you take to Helen Georgia or back. Everything up in that area is phenomenal. In my opinion.

I would like to give you the exact roads in the area that I really liked but honestly I just cannot remember them. I am old LOL! And I usually just dawdle through the roads going from one area to another not paying much attention to the exact roads I am on. Not too helpful sorry.

North Georgia in particular Northeast Georgia is one of the nicest places to ride.

But if you do not mind my asking, I have "Google man" up and down those roads like Edelweiss etc. trying to find the most downtown beautiful place to rent during Oktoberfest.

If you do not mind my asking my friend, where are you going to stay in Helen Georgia? If you are staying there?

BuzzCap7
This time I'm going to stay at the River Bend Hotel. Last year I stayed at a cabin through Georgia Mountain Rentals. The cabin was off the main street going through Helen on a dirt road. It was about 3/4 mile up a VERY DUSTY road but was a great stay. I DEFINITELY would "NOT" do that stay on the bike though.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:26 AM
PKS98S
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fatmurse
We rode to Helen about 8 years ago. Took 441 up and 129 back home. I liked 441 better because the traffic in Macon sucked worse than the traffic in Athens. As always, ymmv. Have fun, its a neat place
Thank you - I posted also in the Road Trip Forum and it sounds like 441/129/75 is and will be the preferred route.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:08 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Macon traffic really does suck, I rode through it on a Sunday and it was hellish. I also managed to find the worst run McDonalds on the planet in Macon. The Athens roads were fine although I do remember a lot of tar snakes.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:06 AM
PKS98S
Cruiser

Originally Posted by uklauren
Macon traffic really does suck, I rode through it on a Sunday and it was hellish. I also managed to find the worst run McDonalds on the planet in Macon. The Athens roads were fine although I do remember a lot of tar snakes.
Thanks uklauren - had a bad experience at a McDonalds several years ago never been to one since and don't plan on it anytime soon!!!

Old 03-31-2017, 10:18 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by PKS98S
This time I'm going to stay at the River Bend Hotel. Last year I stayed at a cabin through Georgia Mountain Rentals. The cabin was off the main street going through Helen on a dirt road. It was about 3/4 mile up a VERY DUSTY road but was a great stay. I DEFINITELY would "NOT" do that stay on the bike though.
Right. This would be with my wife and she does not ride with me.

We would referred to be directly on the main road. No worries.

I should take a ride up there and look around and find the best place knowing my wife's and my personality.

Thank you mate.

BuzzCap7

Old 03-31-2017, 03:56 PM
B3vis
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm going in June, but will be trailering 3-4 bikes up. I normally take 75 and bypass Atlanta. Can't remeber the exact route without pulling up my route.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:33 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

41 to 441 etc - do it all the time - nice ride!!!

Quick Reply: Road Trip Route