Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Regional Events, Rides and Road Reports > Pacific
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

P

Old 07-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Hang Around
Default Temecula DMV skills Test?

Hi. I am getting ready to take the skills test at the DMV...has anyone taken it recently and what can I expect as far as the manuevers I will have to do? How strict are they there and what should I look out for in order to increase chances of passing it first time.&nbsp\\; I will be on my Nightster for the test.&nbsp\\; Thanks

Old 07-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Temecula DMV skills Test?

Most is based on very very slow riding skills. In a tight box figure 8 can be tough. If you can do it in the area of two parking places wide and deep you will be ok. Good luck!!!

When in doubt... Gas it!!!

82nd Airborne Division...Two Tours Viet Nam
Proud PGR Member
2007 Road Glide & 2004 Deuce
Old 07-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Banned

Google calif dmv test.&nbsp\\; you'll find some dmv videos on youtube. 85% fail and test is in 4 parts.&nbsp\\;No failure on any or you'll have to do it over in a week or two.&nbsp\\; designed for you to fail so you will take the MSC course for $250 over 2 or 3 days.&nbsp\\; They give you the cert and you don't need to do the dmv test.&nbsp\\; Most do it this way now as the dmv test has zero room for error unlike cagers who get all sorts of do overs.&nbsp\\; Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Hang Around

I took it on my Heritage Softail Classic and passed it the first time.
I'm in Lake Tahoe but it's still California DMV.&nbsp\\; Just practice in a parking lot turning in circles or practice at the DMV after hours if their course is open. My test was weaving in and out of cones into a circle and back out. Then straight line riding in 1st to show balance.

Good Luck!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Banned

You are an anomaly, my friend!&nbsp\\; Or maybe they are more laidback up in Tahoe as I know I would be! Down here in the flatlands of SoCal, DMV workers are mean and angry government workers ..
Old 07-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Retired HDF Member

Hubby passed it here a couple of years ago on my Yamaha 650.&nbsp\\; You should be able to do it on a nightster.&nbsp\\; Test has barely changed in 20 years...I did it on a scooter years ago.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Totally recommend you go over and practice the cirles in thier test area both ways (Sundays are good) stay in the lines without putting your feet down.&nbsp\\; If you have time you could go watch someone do it.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
Old 07-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Retired HDF Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: daxxer

You are an anomaly, my friend!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Or maybe they are more laidback up in Tahoe as I know I would be! Down here in the flatlands of SoCal, DMV workers are mean and angry government workers ..
&nbsp\\;
After a couple of months back on a bike I was able to do it on the Deluxe as well as hubby....MSF is a good way to go though.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Hang Around

Quote:
ORIGINAL: daxxer

You are an anomaly, my friend!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Or maybe they are more laidback up in Tahoe as I know I would be! Down here in the flatlands of SoCal, DMV workers are mean and angry government workers ..
We are definitely more laid back up here.&nbsp\\; I think i had a leg up when i took my test because people up here always show up on scooters or dirt bikes to take the test so when i showed up on my Harley the Instructor was surprised.&nbsp\\; She even said i wouldn't pass it but i did.

Riding these Mountain roads all the time helps.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Banned

Yep, you hillbillies got it made!&nbsp\\; Livin the good life in Tahoe ...
Old 07-23-2008, 01:59 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's several videos to give you an idea of what to expect: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...q=ca+dmv+motor
Old 07-23-2008, 01:59 AM

P