Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

Do any of you still ride your Pans regularly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Tackdriver
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any of you still ride your Pans regularly?

Panheads have a special interest for me, they were the bikes of my Dad's era. He had two of them. So Ive been reading and learning so that I can hope to talk semi-intelligently to him about them.

Anyhoo, do any of you guys still ride your Pans on a regualar basis? Around here, mostly its late model Shovels and newer.

I sure hope there are still a few of these bikes as drivers, I think if (when?) I can afford a classic Harley, a Pan tournig model would be my choice.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:55 PM
48pan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Tackdriver, That's cool that your Dad rode them. More awesome that you want to continue the tradition. Keep up the reading on them.

If you mean everyday as regular no I don't any more. I've got a 48 e model. It was probably originally sold as a police bike. E signify low compression for easier starting. It's about 60% original. I keep trying to get it back there but the cost of original HD parts is astronomical.

I generally try and get the pan out at least every weekend. Living in Texas we can generally ride year round so it's possible to get out every weekend. Kick starting is a challenge until you get to know the sequence of the bike. I've got to be able to hear mine so it's difficult if I'm riding with other riders.

There still some around but they're getting fewer and fewer. When I bought mine in 1980 there were quite a few around, similar to what you see in the shovelheads now. Knuckleheads were getting to be fewer and fewer then. You can still find some but for the most case you're going to pay for them when you do find them. But don't let that stop you from going after your dream. They're a little bit more to work on than the newer models because they didn't have the same technology that they have today. But in the other sense some people like to wrench on their bikes.

Keep the dream alive. I loaded some pics of mine. Three most recent I had the carb off for maintenance.

Attached Thumbnails Do any of you still ride your Pans regularly?-007_7.jpg   Do any of you still ride your Pans regularly?-009_9.jpg   Do any of you still ride your Pans regularly?-bbrsp2-026.jpg   Do any of you still ride your Pans regularly?-bbrsp2-027.jpg   Do any of you still ride your Pans regularly?-bbrsp2-028.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
hvacgaspiping (02-01-2020)
Old 03-18-2009, 01:37 PM
BARTMAN57
Cruiser
Cool

Very nice.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:35 PM
78fxs78
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went along on a "Vintage" ride last summer (about 50 mi), anything from 72 or older went first everything else went behind. As everyone was coming to assemble, I'd walk around to check the scoots out. I never saw so many Pans in one place at one time, probably close to a hundred, the rest were Flats and a few Knucks, early Shovels, almost two hundred vintage bikes total. Some were completely restored others were untouched, dirty and original (those were the coolest). Most started easier than the new stuff.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:59 PM
dragpipe
Tourer

hey dude, finally a post about pans. good going.
i have a 53 pan i ride every day as my main bike. its not stock and not as gorgeous as 48pans but its still a pan.
it took me a while to get it reliable, and i actually tried to get it a litle more modern, went with a mallory electronic points, hydraulic lifters, disc rear brake, 12 volt batterie, shaved motor, c.v.carb... sorry 48pan, but i wanted to ride it everyday.
it still has its issues but what pan doesnt.
pans are my favourite bike, love the old school bikes, cause like you, thats what my dad rode and i never liked the new ones until they came out with the crossbones that is designed after the pan.
so i bought my wife a crossbones.
theres nohing else that sounds like a finely tuned pan
i love tthem!
(these pics are a couple years old)

Attached Thumbnails Do any of you still ride your Pans regularly?-p1010003.jpg   Do any of you still ride your Pans regularly?-p1010001.jpg   Do any of you still ride your Pans regularly?-p1010005.jpg   Do any of you still ride your Pans regularly?-p1010008.jpg   Do any of you still ride your Pans regularly?-p1010011.jpg  

Old 03-18-2009, 09:28 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

My 65 is my main ride. Recently started assembly on a 49 EL that I have been collecting parts for and fixing parts for the last 7 years.

Got nothing against new bikes. From what I have seen and head they are basically maintenance free. Pans just need a bit more attention to keep them going as well as regular servicing. But if you treat then well they will not let you down.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 AM
48pan
Tourer
Thumbs up

hey dude, finally a post about pans. good going.
i have a 53 pan i ride every day as my main bike. its not stock and not as gorgeous as 48pans but its still a pan.
I'm with you dragpipe, finally a post about pans. I was getting to wonder if all panhead owners were in hibernation. All pans are gorgeous, no matter what condition.

went with a mallory electronic points, hydraulic lifters, disc rear brake, 12 volt batterie, shaved motor, c.v.carb... sorry 48pan, but i wanted to ride it everyday.
I could ride mine everyday but I work in an business casual enviroment. Not conducive to a total loss oil system. Mine's been modernized, 12 volt, rear disk and mousetrap. How do you like that CV carb. I'm running a Bendix and they're great carbs when they work right. Mine seems to have given up the ghost and I'm trying to decide between a Super E and a CV. What's your opinion of the CV?

it still has its issues but what pan doesnt.
theres nohing else that sounds like a finely tuned pan
i love tthem!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Jack Hester
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

My '76 FLH was my primary road machine, for cross-country trips. My '59 FLH was always my ride at home. I totaled the '76 in '04, so after my recovery (about 2 years), I pressed the '59 into service as my full time rider. I bought it in '74, with my Army separation pay. It still looks about the same. It gave up, last Summer ('08). So, I've been rebuilding it, a bit at the time. No restoration. Just rebuilt the engine and transmission. And, fixing everything that I find, as I go. The charging system has been completely gone through. New coils, armature, bearings, etc. in the generator. New regulator. New wiring harness for the whole bike. New black painted 2-into-1 pipes, and a Knucklehead era muffler (fishtail on the end). Hope to fire it for the first time, by the end of the month. It will still look just the same as it did when I bought it. But, very sound. Will rebuild the wheels, when I get the '76 finished, so that I can have something to ride while the '59 is back on the lift.

Jack

Old 03-23-2009, 08:47 PM
old skool pan man
Cruiser
Smile 64 FL Pan

Hey fellas, I ride my 64 FL Pan as my weekend warrior. My father bought it brand new when I was born,(along with a 66 FL Electrglide-when my Sister was born-still own and ride that one as well). I own an 06 Ultra, but there is NOTHING like my "74"'s hitting right! Both are All Stock, Original, and draw more attention than any of these push button easy to ride Motorcycles!

Old 03-24-2009, 01:51 PM
48pan
Tourer

old skool, got any pics?

Quick Reply: Do any of you still ride your Pans regularly?