Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

1948 Generator electrics

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Panheadstick
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1948 Generator electrics

On the 48 pan motor they were 6 volt, I switched over to a 12 volt generator and at first a mechanical regulator, after going thru a few of those I tried an electronic volt regulator.
With either 1 you have to of course polarize the generator, but my problem is that with only the little batteries that you can get to fit in the oil tank, they either cook over all the time or for what ever reason burn up regulators. Vibration maybe?
I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried or heard of the "alternator swap" in replacement of the generator, how it worked or another remedy for charging system issues.
Thanks in advance, I've been going thru this for years.
ps new to this site kinda so sometimes i get lost trying to come back to the same place, but still would appreciate your input.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:04 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I converted my 6 volt systems years ago I also installed custom wrap around oil tanks to accept the bigger battery's Bigger like Y12N7-4A still made in USA (so they claim ) I probably ran every voltage reg that was available like Franks etc etc For the past 20 years I've run Bosch 12 V reg same for 65-77 XL"S and custom big twins (my 46 knuck and the 52 pan /shovel Great systems no problems Don't know if the quality is still there if still made in germany maybe

Old 12-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Panheadstick
Intermediate

Thanks sqdG. I'll have to look into that 1 after the holoidays. So I take it you've had the same issues. Not sure if I ever tried the bosch, was that mechanical or electronic? I know delco didn't do well.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:50 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

They are mechanicals Accel also make them quality? I would stay away from the alternators not that they aren't good it's that only one manufacture makes them (I think ) and if they go belly up you know the rest of the story One thing about the generators all one has to do to see if it's working is rev the motor alittle and watch the lights get brighter (unless the battery is charged to the limit even then you will see some brightening in a dark garage ) Alternators will also do this but not as extreme as the generators

Old 12-06-2010, 09:02 AM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did the same conversion (6-12V) on mine. I used the same bosch regulators. They only lasted a season for me. I had it mounted on my fender under the seat and felt they failed under the vibration. I tried using a rubber pad under them and that helped (or seemed to). This year I am trying the generator mounted solid-state regulator with indicator LEDs because I have heard good things about them.

I feel the same as the previous post about the alternators...and don't know anyone that has tried.

s

Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Panheadstick
Intermediate

Thanks for the info.
I know I've never seen anyone use the alternator or saw any mounted. I could use an oil tank anyway and should check out batteries to fit.