Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Gear change for twin cam.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 04:10 AM
Hazeyboy94
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear change for twin cam.

I read a email from Jerry Branch in Bill Rooks book "How To Build A Harley Davidson Torque Monster". Jerry recommends (in the early twin cams 2000 plus) dropping the motor sprocket from a 25 tooth to a 24 tooth and change the trans pulley sprocket from a 32 tooth to a 30 tooth. He said the motorcycle will run 10 times better everywhere with this setup.

I asked my local Harley mechanic and he said to change the motor sprocket from a 25 to 24 and leave it at that. He reckons if i change both sprockets as Jerry Branch recommended above, the difference won't be noticeable because that setup will counter each other.

I'm a bit unsure now what to do. Shall i fit both sprockets or just the motor sprocket?

FYI - My riding is like this......I like to cruise at highway speeds but i don't want to waste more then about 3 seconds to get there.

So shall i fit both sprockets or just the motor sprocket?

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:19 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Tell that mechanic to weld his tool box shut and go home. Each tooth you drop on the motor sprocket will increase your low end torque by 3% but it will also increase your RPM's out on the highway. The same thing with your trans sprocket, every tooth you drop is 3% more torque out of the hole but also the same increase in RPM's on the highway. They do not counter act each other. Counter acting would be dropping teeth on the trans pulley then dropping teeth on your rear pulley.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:40 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,251 Likes on 8,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Tell that mechanic to weld his tool box shut and go home. Each tooth you drop on the motor sprocket will increase your low end torque by 3% but it will also increase your RPM's out on the highway. The same thing with your trans sprocket, every tooth you drop is 3% more torque out of the hole but also the same increase in RPM's on the highway. They do not counter act each other. Counter acting would be dropping teeth on the trans pulley then dropping teeth on your rear pulley.
"weld his toolbox shut"....... Priceless, Mark!

Old 10-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
"weld his toolbox shut"....... Priceless, Mark!
Got to love people who "think" they know what they are talking about and then hand out advice. I thought Harley "trained" their mechanics.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:54 AM
Hazeyboy94
Cruiser

Hey Mark, sorry for the slow response, i ain't been on for over a year. But that's awesome to hear your reply. AND, i have changed my mechanic. The new one agrees with what you said! :-) So i'm good to go now!

Last edited by Hazeyboy94; 03-31-2015 at 03:57 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 03-30-2015, 04:59 AM
Hazeyboy94
Cruiser

Got to love people who "think" they know what they are talking about and then hand out advice. I thought Harley "trained" their mechanics.
I can't agree with you more on that!

Old 03-30-2015, 05:05 AM
Hazeyboy94
Cruiser

So do you think if i drop the motor sprocket from a 25 tooth to a 24 tooth and change the trans pulley sprocket from a 32 tooth to a 30 tooth i'll still have enough top end to cruise about 80mph on the open road without it revving it's guts out? Our speed limit here in New Zealand is 60mph, but hey, 80mph is a good medium

Last edited by Hazeyboy94; 03-30-2015 at 05:05 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 03-30-2015, 05:47 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Why doesn't Baker (or anybody else for that matter) offer a 27t motor sprocket for the DD6?

Old 03-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hazeyboy94
So do you think if i drop the motor sprocket from a 25 tooth to a 24 tooth and change the trans pulley sprocket from a 32 tooth to a 30 tooth i'll still have enough top end to cruise about 80mph on the open road without it revving it's guts out? Our speed limit here in New Zealand is 60mph, but hey, 80mph is a good medium
That is a nine percent increase in rpm's at 80 it will be about 350 rpms higher then it is now. It really boils down to personal preference, can the bike take it, sure. Now the question is are you going to be comfortable with the increase.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Why doesn't Baker (or anybody else for that matter) offer a 27t motor sprocket for the DD6?
We do.

Quick Reply: Gear change for twin cam.