Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

aligning final drive on project...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 01:41 PM
800screws
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default aligning final drive on project...

I have a kraft tech rigid 30 0 0 frame...im trying to align the final drive sprockets....searching kraft techs website, it says that the offset for the countershaft sprocket is 0, so that's what I bought( the transmission plate is part of the frame)....im running 16" 200 rear tire and a ultima dual caliper rear bracket....
neither is even close...it seems like the countershaft sprocket should be sitting on the locknut threads to make it straight....and a spacer behind the wheel sprocket to give alitte more room away from the tire....

whats the right way to do this...as im wasting money on sprockets, axle spacers, and getting nowhere.....

anyone have this setup? or any info on what to do?
this is what kraft tech website says
* Offset is built into the frame...use 1/2” spacer between engine and inner primary cover
use 1/2” longer spacing on engine sprocket or pulley

ok...so I found 1/2" primary/engine spacers....does this mean I need a 1/2" offset countershaft sprocket?

Old 06-15-2020, 09:14 PM
MIGHTY D-DAY
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the mathematics, your best friend here will be a straight edge. If your rear wheel is centered, make sure that your belt/chain clears the back wheel. Then you'll want to be able to run a straight edge from the outside edge of your rear sprocket/ pulley to the outside edge of your trans sprocket/ pulley. If your trans sprocket doesn't line up you'll need to account for that distance with an offset trans sprocket or you may find yourself having to move your transmission to account for the offset. A bolt in/ weld in trans plate would be ez but you said that you have a fixed plate. 2 possible remedies: 1) machine or drill your mounting holes into slots so that you can slide your tranny sideways to alignment.(you can always back-fill with a welder) 2) cut out trans plate and then, with trans sitting loose on plate, find the alignment, clamp plate, take trans off and weld the plate in place. You'll want to use a straight edge for the primary offset as well, but do this with the motor bolted down. With your clutch basket and sprocket/ pulley(inner primary trans/ final drive) on, align outside of compensator shaft sprocket/ pulley and inner primary final drive sprocket/ pulley. This will tell you your primary offset for your engine / primary spacer, and comp. shaft and comp. shaft nut offset. The distance moved to alignment is your offset. Be meticulous and don't rely on manufacturer parts to have exact tolerances. measure for yourself and machine if needed.

The following users liked this post:
18deluxerider (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 08:57 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Few things before you start hacking.

1. I assume you have a big twin Evo.

2. No such thing as a counter shaft sprocket. Output runs on a the main drive gear.

3. Need to know whether you are using pulleys or sprockets.

4. Need to know what you are using for a rear wheel.

5. If everything is done right you should not have to do any welding.

6. No, you shouldn't need to offset the tranny output if a pulley. The purpose of the primary spacing is to offset the transmission 1/2 inch. IIRC the motor may be offset another 1/2

7. ideally running a stock wheel, you would need to offset the pulley about an an inch or run a narrow belt or chain and offset a about 1/2 inch less.

8. The alignment mentioned above is necessary.

I have a 180 Kraft tech softail set up with a 1 1/2 inch belt. I used a custom rear wheel so I didn't need a offset pulley.