Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Shovelhead clutch pushrod

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 02:58 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Shovelhead clutch pushrod

I'm replacing the throwout bearing in my 80 FLT 5-speed with a complete pushrod kit. Two questions, the new pushrod appears to be directional; one end is totally round shaped, and the other end started out round, but then has a small flat end machined to it. Definately looks different. Which way does it get installed? I can't tell anything from the rod I pulled out, since both of its ends are worn pretty bad. The kit included the pushrod, both end pieces, as well as the new bearing, 2 thrust washers, and a new circlip.

Second question, do I have to pull the whole chutch side apart to replace that side piece? I tried snaking a magnet through the mainshaft from the kicker side (where the rod lies), but it's apparently not strong enough to pull the side piece through. The magnet did grab a whole bunch of metal filings, so I'm glad I tried that trick...just wish the left side piece could get replaced by pushing it through the tranny mainshaft., instead of having to pull the clutch basket apart. It will fit into the mainshaft just like the throwout bearing shaft does, so I know the outside demension will fit the inside of the mainshaft.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by SeaZund; 03-02-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:09 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

go to the derby cover side, take the clutch adjuster nut off, there's a short push rod that the adjuster screw touches, take that out. there should be another push rod in there push it out with a small screwdriver. the throw out bearing rod should have a small shoulder on it. put one of the washers on the shoulder, then put the bearing on next, then the other washer. take the small c clip and snap in in the groove.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:05 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for the lesson on how to assemble a throwout bearing; but it doesn't answer my pushrod question.