Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

SE comp with new clutch fluid qestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:01 PM
WiscoKid
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SE comp with new clutch fluid qestions

I recently went to change out rear tire to get ready for this season and noticed the teeth on my belt are barley on the belt. Since my project is now much more involved and I've been wanting to get to the clutch anyway I figured now is the time to do it. I put in the SE compensator this past fall. It was the newer one where you have to glue in the plastic piece to the primary case to help keep oil on the compensator sprocket. My question is with the fluids. I want to use an energy one clutch with stiffer spring, part number BTX 14. The clutch calls for non synthetic transmission fluid, but the SE compensator calls for the harley formula + oil obviously. I am worried that without using the oil I could ruin the new compensator. I looked at other clutch kits like Barnett and they are also requiring trans fluid. What should I use. Will the clutch still work well if I use oil instead of trans fluid? Are they both ok to use. I've been running rotella 10-40 in there for a long time with no problems.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:15 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Straight from Barnett:OILS
Oils
As far as what oils to use, we generally suggest following the manufacturer's recommendations. Use good quality motorcycle oils and lubricants. The main purpose of oils in a "wet" clutch application (as far as the clutch pack itself is concerned) is to act as a coolant. Oils flowing through the clutch plates help to keep the plates cooler, resulting in smoother clutch action and longer life. Using too heavy viscosity can cause plates to stick when cold

Where did you see that Barnett "required" ATF to be used?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:06 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

You might get away with running ATF type fluids in the primary if you install the CompenSaver oiling tray from GMR otherwise I would not use them.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:43 PM
WiscoKid
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a thread on here on HD forums that says: ATF fluid only for Barnett clutches!!! And on other threads it states that the Barnett technician said specifically to run type F trans fluid. Says this on choppers forum also. I Was doing some research before I stared this thread and it is mentioned quite often in quite a few threads. Is the compensaver oiling tray the same little plastic tray that harley now provides in there SE comp kit that you glue to the inside of your primary cover.. It's suposed to catch oil and drop it on compensator sprocket, I think???

Old 03-20-2015, 07:52 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Barnett would be your best bet because they allow the use of synthetics. DONT use Formula+ w/ Barnett because it will gum up and drag (spoke to them a couple time to verify). I know you just want to get the plate, but w/ my Barnett Scorpion I'm running Red Line Synthetic Primary fluid per their recommendations.

.....any synthetic 20/50 would work fine for Barnett plate setup and your comp will thank you or even buy a quart of Red Line!

Old 03-20-2015, 07:55 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Many clutch manufactures recommend ATF for the clutch plates, as for what's good for the Harley compensator? I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:19 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by WiscoKid
There is a thread on here on HD forums that says: ATF fluid only for Barnett clutches!!! And on other threads it states that the Barnett technician said specifically to run type F trans fluid. Says this on choppers forum also. I Was doing some research before I stared this thread and it is mentioned quite often in quite a few threads. Is the compensaver oiling tray the same little plastic tray that harley now provides in there SE comp kit that you glue to the inside of your primary cover.. It's suposed to catch oil and drop it on compensator sprocket, I think???
No it is different, it is in addition to that glue in tray. I have never heard anybody have any compensator lack of oiling concerns with a CompenSaver. I would probably be running one myself except they do not fit with a Baker Attitude primary chain adjuster. Here is a link:

http://gmrperformance.com/products/compensaver/

I had been running syn ATF in my primary as recommended by Alto on my +1 clutch plate kit but that has accelerated the wear on my compensator parts too much, so I have gone with a mix of syn ATF and regular chaincase lubricant:

Last edited by HD Pilot; 03-20-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:53 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Hearsay on a forum is not real good info for what oil to use with a Barnett clutch. You can go to Barnetts web site or call them for correct info regarding their oil recommendations.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:01 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Conversation I had w/ Barnett:

Regarding Formula+....
"It will be a little sticky to shift when its cold from the heavy oil but Spectro is ok

Too many oils for us to list. As long as its for a motorcycle wet clutch application it should be fine. Formula Plus works but its sticky all the time to shift

All Scorpions are Carbon fiber. Best we got for longevity and heat"

Chance Darling
Barnett Tool & Engineering

"Formula Plus is a gummy oil. Syn 3 works fine. Lots of guys run Redline or Lucas. I have run all those and even Silkolene in my 09 Bagger with a Jims 131". The compensators are just weak. Guys say oils don't make much difference.

3 light and 3 medium springs should work or just put in 6 medium springs and not worry about it"

Chance Darling
Barnett Tool & Engineering

I decided to got with Red Line Synthetic Primary Fluid (looks like Pepto Bismo).

Old 03-21-2015, 06:26 PM
MarcV125
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently went to change out rear tire to get ready for this season and noticed the teeth on my belt are barley on the belt. Since my project is now much more involved and I've been wanting to get to the clutch anyway I figured now is the time to do it. I put in the SE compensator this past fall. It was the newer one where you have to glue in the plastic piece to the primary case to help keep oil on the compensator sprocket. My question is with the fluids. I want to use an energy one clutch with stiffer spring, part number BTX 14. The clutch calls for non synthetic transmission fluid, but the SE compensator calls for the harley formula + oil obviously. I am worried that without using the oil I could ruin the new compensator. I looked at other clutch kits like Barnett and they are also requiring trans fluid. What should I use. Will the clutch still work well if I use oil instead of trans fluid? Are they both ok to use. I've been running rotella 10-40 in there for a long time with no problems.

no fluid will cure a terrible design.. im on my 4th comp in 44k...just waiting on Baker............................................. .................................................. ...................

Quick Reply: SE comp with new clutch fluid qestions