Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch drag when hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 06:31 PM
kylebryan
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Clutch drag when hot

Early this year I installed a FM107 big bore kit and the recommended Barnett heavy duty clutch spring at the same time. Since then I've never been able to get the clutch adjusted right and when the bike gets hot the clutch starts to drag. I've done the cable and clutch pack adjustment several times and I know it's being done correctly, I've tried different fluids and still no luck. The bike seems to shift great with no clutch drag when cool, but the clutch starts dragging as soon as the bike gets hot. What gives? Any help is appreciated! Thanks guys!

Old 05-28-2015, 11:40 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

If you have a dial indicator put it on the pressure plate pull in the clutch and see how much travel you are getting. You want at least .080

Old 06-02-2015, 03:35 PM
kylebryan
Road Captain

dont have a dial indicator unfortunately...

Ever since this engine / clutch spring upgrade ive never been able to get it right... I'm going to take the primary cover off and do a visual inspection. After riding this weekend i started hearing a whurr'ing or mellow squeal coming from the primary while idling. Not sure what thats about but im concerned i may have bigger issues and thats whats causing the clutch to not adjust properly.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I have had a problem in the past with Barnett clutches swelling when hot and grabbing. You also might have a primary chain that is too tight, or the bearing in the clutch hub going bad

Old 06-02-2015, 04:40 PM
kylebryan
Road Captain

stock clutch pack, the only aftermarket part in the primary is the barnett HD clutch spring. I'm going to be tearing this thing apart tonight to inspect everything.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:09 PM
kylebryan
Road Captain

Took the entire clutch assembly off, inspected clutch bearing and measured the steels and plates with a micrometer. All are within spec. One thing I notoced was after I removed the clutch plates I spun the inner basket and the whole clutch basket seems to have a wobble while spinning the inner basket. Anyone have any experience with this? Wondering if the transmission shaft is bent... Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:15 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by kylebryan
Took the entire clutch assembly off, inspected clutch bearing and measured the steels and plates with a micrometer. All are within spec. One thing I notoced was after I removed the clutch plates I spun the inner basket and the whole clutch basket seems to have a wobble while spinning the inner basket. Anyone have any experience with this? Wondering if the transmission shaft is bent... Any help is appreciated.
Stock clutch baskets are never concentric they will always have a little wobble.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:00 AM
kylebryan
Road Captain

i'm going to go ahead and swap the inner primary bearing while i'm in there. better safe than sorry. it looks a little loose anyways.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:00 PM
kylebryan
Road Captain

Installed new inner primary bearing and reassembled everything. This time I did the clutch adjustment using "clutch adjustment the easy way" thread and its working much better now. Looks like the clutch just needed a proper adjustment. Not sure why it wouldn't adjust correctly when doing it by the service manual. Oh well, it's fixed now.