Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

replacement for compensator pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:30 PM
destroyer
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement for compensator pulley

Hi, new to the forum, looking to help the gear ratio on my street glide. I saw an ad in bagger magazine where a company has developed a gear that replaces the front compensator which is 34 tooth on an 07 and later and drops to a 30. Has anyone had experience with this product? I think it is made by Evolution Industries.

Thanks, Joe

Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 PM
treeextractor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: replacement for compensator pulley

Yes its agreat fix for those who want a more usable 6th gear, have pinging/heat issues, want more tq/ better responseand a cure to all the comp racket and clunking. Works great!

Old 12-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Cynic
Road Captain

I'm wondering if anyone has asked if the have plans to market a 34 tooth?

Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Dan B
Cruiser

I've read on another forum that its a great booster for torque.
Specially for the 6 speed. Will raise the rpm about 250 rpm.

The only thing is that its a direct drive sprocket, it will take away the compensating function.
Rumour says Evolution industries soon will have a 30 T compensating sprocket out soon.

/Dan

Old 12-04-2007, 03:49 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything that takes the shock off the 07 cranks would be advisable.Even if the stock setup has been known to occasionally bottom out.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:26 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After taking mine apart I can tell you it spent a good part of it's life pounding on the bottom. That raises the question, is the running start to bottom out impact better for the crank than naturally induced pulses? When the comp spring pack bottoms it has two effect on the crank. Pull on the sprocket shaft from the bottomed pack and the cam pushing the sprocket away from the engine. Twist happens at the same time. Direct, at least you have only one, but all the time. Will that screw the crank. Don't know, but I have .007 runout on the sprocket shaft now using something that's suppose to protect it.
Ron

Old 12-05-2007, 05:11 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harley has tried adding an extra spring to comp pack for the noise many had and it failed,making so called tranny noise worse.The IDS isolated everything between rear axle and crank.Adding a solid comp sprocket,I think would negate some of this.If I remember right your bike isnt a tourer and thus no IDS kit was made available so youre on an unchartedpath.Someone adapted an IDS to a non tourer and spoke of no major issues doing so,Axle spacer mod only.Granted this does nothing for gearing changes many want for the 6th speeders yet would leave a trans sprocket and belt replacement as an option.The IDS does work for the noise and possibly some help forscissoring cranks,but only HD knows for sure.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:36 PM
rbabos
Banned

ORIGINAL: pittguy

Harley has tried adding an extra spring to comp pack for the noise many had and it failed,making so called tranny noise worse.The IDS isolated everything between rear axle and crank.Adding a solid comp sprocket,I think would negate some of this.If I remember right your bike isnt a tourer and thus no IDS kit was made available so youre on an unchartedpath.Someone adapted an IDS to a non tourer and spoke of no major issues doing so,Axle spacer mod only.Granted this does nothing for gearing changes many want for the 6th speeders yet would leave a trans sprocket and belt replacement as an option.The IDS does work for the noise and possibly some help forscissoring cranks,but only HD knows for sure.
Thought about adapting the touring version. As long as the wheel bolt patteren is the same it's no big deal. My only problem is that it looks fugly. On a softail custom the sprocket is very noticable and I'm afraid it would look like a big mole with hair growing out of it.
Ron

Old 12-05-2007, 06:40 PM
HOGBOB
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pittguy,

I've been on every forum from here to Timbucktoo. I've never heard or read that HD tried to fix thier compensator. I've read that folks putting the solid 30 tooth on, love it, and ithas not increased the tranny noise. Vibration maybe, but not tranny noise. An extra spring certainly would not make the tranny noise worse if a solid onedoes not. My problem is not tranny related, it is a knock in the primaryin all gears and neutral.It is temp sensitve, and really comes on at 30mph in second gear and 40 mph in 3rd.It goes away when you get on it, and accelerate hard. In my opinion that is because the comp is bottomed when accelerating hard. I'd really like to know where you heard that HD tried to fix a problem that they swear does not exist.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 PM
rbabos
Banned

ORIGINAL: HOGBOB

pittguy,

I've been on every forum from here to Timbucktoo. I've never heard or read that HD tried to fix thier compensator. I've read that folks putting the solid 30 tooth on, love it, and ithas not increased the tranny noise. Vibration maybe, but not tranny noise. An extra spring certainly would not make the tranny noise worse if a solid onedoes not. My problem is not tranny related, it is a knock in the primaryin all gears and neutral.It is temp sensitve, and really comes on at 30mph in second gear and 40 mph in 3rd.It goes away when you get on it, and accelerate hard. In my opinion that is because the comp is bottomed when accelerating hard. I'd really like to know where you heard that HD tried to fix a problem that they swear does not exist.
Actually HOGBOB it very well could. Generally the comp won't bottom at light cruising loads, but just slink away in the slop. If a washer is added the ramp travel is greatly reduced and space for the pack is also reduced. It will bottom quicker and the impact from bottoming may in fact be more aggessive than the pulse from a no comp sprocket. The design of this piece of **** due to shallow ramp angleshas made me basically give up on it and either go 30 tooth with a custom fit touring ids to a softail, or use my not perfect but normally operating comp 34 tooth and reduce the amount it moves with the ids. I just havn't got all my poop in a group for the final decision on which way. Good thing winter is long
Your knocking , if the comp is tight, is from the spring pack disc washers having lost preload pressure. Simple as that. There isn't enough force on the cam/gear to keep it from bouncing between the ramps. Now try and get some tech to agree to that is more difficult. Better still, try and buy just the 4 disc washers with having to but the whole rotor. Don't waist time trying to add shims behind the disc washers. It will give you a negative result. Only a new pack will fix it.
Ron

Quick Reply: replacement for compensator pulley