Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

crankcase pipe plugs??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:48 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default crankcase pipe plugs??

Working on my 07' Deluxe:
I mistakenly removed the bottom crankcase plug when draining my oils. When I realized I had a brain fart, looking at the plug that didn;t have an o-ring, I said to myself what the hell are you doing. Put back in, and pulled the correct oil drain plug.

Anyways, what is the reason for these pipe plugs - 1 on the bottom of crankcase, 2 near the oil filter? should I remove again and use locktite 565 or leave it be?

Old 02-12-2008, 05:21 PM
newbob
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: crankcase pipe plugs??

I wish someone would have an answer because I would like to know what they are too!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 10:56 AM
ronyd
Road Master

Probably a tap for things like an oil temperature sending unit, etc..

Old 02-13-2008, 06:34 PM
jrspringer06
Tourer

They are casting plugs, if it dont leak just leave it alone.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:19 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

You definitely want to clean the threads and use red loctite on that plug when screwing it back in. I wouldn't drain my fresh oil if I had already changed it. But I would make myself a note to red loctite that back in there so I could forget about it forever on my next oil service.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:06 AM
benman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HMMM harley gave you xtra holes huh?
Were they an option?

Old 02-14-2008, 06:25 AM
ronyd
Road Master

No option. Maybe plugs are there because they might need them for other models, and so they use the same block?

KBFXDLII bought loctite 565 last night, so I'll do it up. I haven't put crankoil back in as of yet.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:16 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ronyd

Working on my 07' Deluxe:
I mistakenly removed the bottom crankcase plug when draining my oils. When I realized I had a brain fart, looking at the plug that didn;t have an o-ring, I said to myself what the hell are you doing. Put back in, and pulled the correct oil drain plug.

Anyways, what is the reason for these pipe plugs - 1 on the bottom of crankcase, 2 near the oil filter? should I remove again and use locktite 565 or leave it be?
They are there from the manufacturing process to facilitate the boring of internal parts in the oil system, then plugged. Do not remove them for any services. Replace them with red locktite and leave them alone or damage to the case can result. Some have cracked the case trying to remove these plugs.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:43 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior

The plugs are there so Harley can sell you chromed replacements to dress up the bottom ofyour crankcase. Only $79.95!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:54 AM
buick455gs
Cruiser

I did the same thing and removed both of them. You would think there would be something in the manual about this as I knew I was not the only one that has done this. I did ask the local HD mechanic about this and they said the same thing as glide mentioned. I know the one on the engine base is directly under the intake of the oil pump. As I was changing to synthetic and already in the cam chest anyway I thought it was good to get all the oil from the base. I used high temperature loctite plug sealant on my plugs. You may never get them out with loctite red although that maybe a good thing.

Quick Reply: crankcase pipe plugs??