Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Over run clutch inside the starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:09 AM
rkgma
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over run clutch inside the starter

My starter is whirring but not starting. I checked the voltage for the battery to be sure there is enough oomph to make the starter work and the battery is just super (12.7). Anybody or anybodies know how or have replaced the overrun clutch inside the starter? I think what is freakin me out is just getting to the starter (from the inside by removing the clutch pack). Any ideas, help would be greatly appreciated. I have done simple wrenching on my bikes over the years (I tend to be very slow but it works when I'm done) but I definitely am a far cry from a rocket scientist or HD mechanic, so if you can help in very very plain language it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Oilslick
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Over run clutch inside the starter

IIRC there is no need to touch the clutch just the starter jackshaft and later models not even that, just two bolts and it's off.
&nbsp\\;
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:37 PM
rkgma
3rd Gear

Thanks Oilslick!! I did what I thought I would never do.....I paid $62, (Usually can pick them up somewhere else for a lot less but I thought I might really need this now) for the service manual at the HD Store, took a peek and this is much easier (famous last words) that I originally thought. I'll let you all know after I get it apartcan't get part until Monday so it's wrenching Monday night. PS a few Hail Mary's or Holy Harleys on Monday night wouldn't hurt, I guess.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:15 PM
rkgma
3rd Gear

So maybe it doesn't always work when I'm done or work foreverOK, had to take off the oil spout (harder than you think) and took off the starterreplaced the clutch drive in the starterworked great for 600 miles and now I am hearing a tiny , tinny grrr type sound after it starts it sounds like something is slowing down?? inside the starter? What do I do now??? I am leaving Wed morning for out west!!! What am I looking for? does anyone know?? I am going outside to remove the primary, look at the jackshaft, try to start it to see if I can figure out where this noise is (starter vs. jackshaft) and then pull out my hair. I swear I put all the parts back into the starter motor that came out of the starter motor so it shouldn't be an issue of something was missed. I stopped at the HD store and asked if they had any ideas and of course take my ration of "you did that yourself?" , "how did you do that?" and then their fav is "you better bring the bike here and let us fix it".

Old 06-30-2008, 08:43 PM
esyrdgcwby
Cruiser

Well I am some what of an expert on starter clutch here of late, seem I have had the same issue, except for me it was an after market starter &amp\\; finding the starter clutch to fit it was a pain,anyway, It may be that the pinon gear &amp\\; spring did not get properly alinged , I would start by removing your primary cover carefully so you can reuse your gasket &amp\\; try starting the unit to see if you can identify where the noise is coming from , The other posiblity is the jack shaft on the starter may not be making good contact inside the starter clutch , you may want to inspect that,
&nbsp\\;
Did you remoember to install the ball bearing back inside the jack shaft on the starter that is a common thing that most first timers forget. Let me know if i can be of more assit

Old 07-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Asylumcycle
Cruiser

i would vote for the little steel ball being forgotten, but usually it doenst work right without that from the get go.