Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Problem adjusting Barnett clutch cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 08:11 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem adjusting Barnett clutch cable

I replaced my Street Glide stock clutch cable with a Barnett platinum +4". I had to because I installed Chubby's WO575 handlebars and I needed a longer cable. Anyway, I'm having a real hard time getting the adjustment right. I've never had a problem adjusting the stock cable on any of my Harleys. I know the procedure - do the basket adjustment first (1/2 turn out from contact) and the cable adjustment last. It's always worked for me in the past. The problems I'm having are the following:

1. The clutch pull is much harder now - the Barnett was supposed to make it easier, not harder.

2. The engagment is much more abrupt.

3. It is a lot harder to shift now than it was with the stock cable.

4. Finally, I get a loud "ticking sound" if I try to back up the bike while in gear with the clutch pulled in. It's hard for me to tell exactly where the sound is coming from because I need someone else to put their ear up next to the motor while I'm backing up the bike. If I back up the bike when it's in neutral, I don't get the ticking sound. I don't remember hearing this sound with my stock cable. It may be nothing, but I don't think that it's normal.

Anyway, I'm open for suggestions. I called Barnett and they insist that I got the right part number (698-02) for my Street Glide. To me it seems like the cable isn't disengaging the clutch all of the way. The problem is, if I change the basket adjustment for more disengagement (even just 1/2 more turn), I get slippage under load. The clutch becomes much easier to pull, and the bike shifts easier, but it slips. Has anyone else out there had problems adjusting a Barnett clutch cable? Sorry if my explanations are confusing.

Thanks,
Doug

Old 07-16-2006, 08:42 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Problem adjusting Barnett clutch cable

Of all the barnet clutch cables i have used before, all of them had some issue. I have had a couple stretch and a couple bind. I find if lubed very generously with cable life then they are o.k. but do require more maintenance than stock by far.